more student projects and questions on Ill CS

  • sara_j_porter
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2004
      Hello group,

      I'm including a link to my class web page
      http://www.kokomo.tech.purdue.edu/cgt/courses/cgt216/index.html where
      I have a few of the final projects my students (designers) did listed
      on the site under heading number 1.

      The project was to re-create/re-draw an assistive technology device
      they found on-line into a vector format. [Side note: the topic was
      chosen so the students could learn about technologies that they may
      not be familiar with and are not the intended purchasing audience.
      It was not to teach them about accessibility with SVG (I'm at the
      novice-level with this topic).]

      They used Freehand MX (we don't have Illustrator available to the
      students- not my choice but have to deal with it), and then I
      imported into Illustrator CS where I saved to SVG. The students then
      added hand-coded mouseover/out and animation elements to the mark-
      up. They didn't gripe so much about the hand-coding because we broke
      out each area (that was to have the coding added to it) into
      different layers within Illustrator. But I noticed that Illustrator
      CS saves layer names differently than Illustrator 10. I've preached
      time and again to not name layers with spaces but with underscores so
      that you can easily search and find the layers when you look at the
      mark-up. But Illustrator CS saves layer names with underscores as a
      name_x5F_name. Illustrator 10 does not add in this x5F. For
      example: a layer name of "red_box" will come out in the CS generated
      mark-up as "red_x5F_box". Illustrator 10 saves the layer name
      as "red_box". Does anyone know why CS does this? It's probably a
      user error, no doubt.

      I think the hardest thing to teach the students is to NOT group
      artwork the way they normally do because all of the groups come out
      in the mark-up as <g> and nested <g> elements. These students group
      objects in their artwork continuously as they move things around on
      the "page". They'll group object 1 and 2... and then group that
      group to object 3... and then group that group to object 4. This all
      comes out in the wash (colloquialism translated to "it all shows up
      in the mark-up").

      Finally, CS generates a lot of meta data that has to do with RDF (I
      hear you yipping for joy Jim Ley!). From a simple file I made with
      that one red box, and with the box unchecked to preserve Illustrator
      editing capabilities, the decimal places set to 1, and the three
      advanced SVG Advanced Option boxes all unchecked, I still got the
      following mark-up at the beginning of this small file:

      <metadata>
      <?xpacket begin='' id='W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d'?><x:xmpmeta
      xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='XMP toolkit 3.0-29, framework 1.6'>
      <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'
      xmlns:iX='http://ns.adobe.com/iX/1.0/'>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
      xmlns:pdf='http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/1.3/'>
      </rdf:Description>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
      xmlns:tiff='http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/'>
      </rdf:Description>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
      xmlns:xap='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/'
      xmlns:xapGImg='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/g/img/'>
      <xap:CreateDate>2004-04-29T19:31:09Z</xap:CreateDate>
      <xap:ModifyDate>2004-04-29T19:31:09Z</xap:ModifyDate>
      <xap:CreatorTool>Illustrator</xap:CreatorTool>
      <xap:Thumbnails>
      <rdf:Alt>
      <rdf:li rdf:parseType='Resource'>
      <xapGImg:format>JPEG</xapGImg:format>
      <xapGImg:width>256</xapGImg:width>
      <xapGImg:height>160</xapGImg:height>

      <xapGImg:image>/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAgEASABIAAD/7QAsUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4Qkl
      NA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEA AQBIAAAAAQAB/+4ADkFkb2JlAGTAAAAAAf/bAIQABgQE
      BAUEBgUFBgkGBQYJCwgGBggLDAoKCwoK DBAMDAwMDAwQDA4PEA8ODBMTFBQTExwbG
      xscHx8fHx8fHx8fHwEHBwcNDA0YEBAYGhURFRofHx8f Hx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx
      8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8fHx8f/8AAEQgAoAEAAwER AAIRAQMRAf/
      EAaIAAAAHAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAQFAwIGAQAHCAkKCwEAAgIDAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAA
      AQACAwQFBgcICQoLEAACAQMDAgQCBgcDBAIGAnMBAgMRBAAFIRIxQVEGE2EicYEUMpGhBx
      WxQiPB UtHhMxZi8CRygvElQzRTkqKyY3PCNUQnk6OzNhdUZHTD0uIIJoMJChgZhJR
      FRqS0VtNVKBry4/PE 1OT0ZXWFlaW1xdXl9WZ2hpamtsbW5vY3R1dnd4eXp7fH1+f3
      OEhYaHiImKi4yNjo+Ck5SVlpeYmZ qbnJ2en5KjpKWmp6ipqqusra6voRAAICAQIDB
      QUEBQYECAMDbQEAAhEDBCESMUEFURNhIgZxgZEy obHwFMHR4SNCFVJicvEzJDRDgh
      aSUyWiY7LCB3PSNeJEgxdUkwgJChgZJjZFGidkdFU38qOzwygp 0+PzhJSktMTU5PR
      ldYWVpbXF1eX1RlZmdoaWprbG1ub2R1dnd4eXp7fH1+f3OEhYaHiImKi4yNjo +DlJ
      WWl5iZmpucnZ6fkqOkpaanqKmqq6ytrq+v/aAAwDAQACEQMRAD8A5jomiaLJothJJYWzyP
      bQ s7tDGSSYwSSSNyctAFPsHZnZmllpcUpYsZJxxs8Mf5o8kb+gNB/6ttr/AMiY/wD
      mnDQc7+SdJ/qW P/SR/U79AaD/ANW21/5Ex/8ANONBf5J0n+pY/wDSR/U79AaD/wBW
      21/5Ex/8040F/knSf6lj/wBJ H9Tv0BoP/Vttf+RMf/NONBf5J0n+pY/9JH9Tv0BoP
      /Vttf8AkTH/AM040F/knSf6lj/0kf1O/QGg /wDVttf+RMf/ADTjQX+SdJ/qWP8A0k
      f1O/QGg/8AVttf+RMf/NONBf5J0n+pY/8ASR/U79AaD/1b bX/kTH/zTjQX+SdJ/qW
      P/SR/U79AaD/1bbX/AJEx/wDNONBf5J0n+pY/9JH9Tv0BoP8A1bbX/kTH /wA040F/
      knSf6lj/ANJH9Tv0BoP/AFbbX/kTH/zTjQX+SdJ/qWP/AEkf1O/QGg/9W21/5Ex/8040&#
      xA;F/knSf6lj/0kf1O/QGg/9W21/wCRMf8AzTjQX+SdJ/qWP/SR/U79AaD/ANW21/5Ex/8
      ANONBf5J0 n+pY/wDSR/U79AaD/wBW21/5Ex/8040F/knSf6lj/wBJH9Tv0BoP/Vtt
      f+RMf/NONBf5J0n+pY/9 JH9Tv0BoP/Vttf8AkTH/AM040F/knSf6lj/0kf1O/QGg/
      wDVttf+RMf/ADTjQX+SdJ/qWP8A0kf1 O/QGg/8AVttf+RMf/NONBf5J0n+pY/8ASR
      /U79AaD/1bbX/kTH/zTjQX+SdJ/qWP/SR/U79AaD/1 bbX/AJEx/wDNONBf5J0n+pY
      /9JH9Tv0BoP8A1bbX/kTH/wA040F/knSf6lj/ANJH9Tv0BoP/AFbb X/kTH/zTjQX+
      SdJ/qWP/AEkf1O/QGg/9W21/5Ex/8040F/knSf6lj/0kf1O/QGg/9W21/wCRMf8A z
      TjQX+SdJ/qWP/SR/U79AaD/ANW21/5Ex/8ANONBf5J0n+pY/wDSR/U79AaD/wBW21/5Ex/
      8040F /knSf6lj/wBJH9Tv0BoP/Vttf+RMf/NONBf5J0n+pY/9JH9Tv0BoP/Vttf8A
      kTH/AM040F/knSf6 lj/0kf1O/QGg/wDVttf+RMf/ADTjQX+SdJ/qWP8A0kf1ILW9E
      0WPRb+SOwtkkS2mZHWGMEERkggg bEYCBTg9p9maWOlyyjixgjHKjwx/mnyRugf8cH
      Tf+YWH/k2uEcnO7J/xTF/wuH+5CPwue7FXYq7F XYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXY
      q7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FUBr/wDxwdS/ 5hZv+TbYDycDtb/F
      Mv8Awuf+5LtA/wCODpv/ADCw/wDJtcRyXsn/ABTF/wALh/uQj8LnuxV2KuxV 2KuxV
      2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxVAa//wAcHUv
      + YWb/AJNtgPJwO1v8Uy/8Ln/uS7QP+ODpv/MLD/ybXEcl7J/xTF/wuH+5CPwue7FX
      Yq7FXYq7FXYq 7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FX
      Yq7FUBr/wDxwdS/5hZv+TbY DycDtb/FMv8Awuf+5LtA/wCODpv/ADCw/wDJtcRyXs
      n/ABTF/wALh/uQj8LnuxV2KuxV2KuxV2Ku xV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2Kux
      V2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxVAa//wAcHUv+YWb/AJNt gPJwO1v8Uy/8Ln/uS7QP
      +ODpv/MLD/ybXEcl7J/xTF/wuH+5CPwue7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FX Yq7FXYq7F
      XYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FUBr/wDxwdS/5hZv+TbYDycDtb/F&#x
      A;Mv8Awuf+5LtA/wCODpv/ADCw/wDJtcRyXsn/ABTF/wALh/uQj8LnuxV2KuxV2KuxV2Ku
      xV2KuxV2 KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxVAa//wAcH
      Uv+YWb/AJNtgPJwO1v8 Uy/8Ln/uS7QP+ODpv/MLD/ybXEcl7J/xTF/wuH+5CPwue7
      FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7 FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7
      FXYq7FUBr/wDxwdS/5hZv+TbYDycDtb/FMv8Awuf+ 5LtA/wCODpv/ADCw/wDJtcRy
      Xsn/ABTF/wALh/uQj8LnuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2Kux V2KuxV2KuxV2K
      uxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxV2KuxVAa//wAcHUv+YWb/AJNtgPJwO1v8Uy/8Ln/u S7
      QP+ODpv/MLD/ybXEcl7J/xTF/wuH+5CPwue7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq7FXYq
[...]
      //wAcHUv+YWb/AJNtgPJwO1v8Uy/8Ln/uS9I03/nHr8zLTTrW1eLT2a3hjiZhdNQlFCkj9
      17Z ATeI0ntj4OGGPwr4IiN8XcK/mon/AJUJ+ZX++bD/AKSm/wCqWPG5H+jn/af9n/
      x13/KhPzK/3zYf 9JTf9UseNf8ARz/tP+z/AOOu/wCVCfmV/vmw/wCkpv8Aqljxr/o
      5/wBp/wBn/wAdd/yoT8yv982H /SU3/VLHjX/Rz/tP+z/467/lQn5lf75sP+kpv+qW
      PGv+jn/af9n/AMdd/wAqE/Mr/fNh/wBJTf8A VLHjX/Rz/tP+z/467/lQn5lf75sP+
      kpv+qWPGv8Ao5/2n/Z/8dd/yoT8yv8AfNh/0lN/1Sx41/0c /wC0/wCz/wCOu/5UJ+
      ZX++bD/pKb/qljxr/o5/2n/Z/8dd/yoT8yv982H/SU3/VLHjX/AEc/7T/s /wDjrv8
      AlQn5lf75sP8ApKb/AKpY8a/6Of8Aaf8AZ/8AHXf8qE/Mr/fNh/0lN/1Sx41/0c/7T/s/&
      #xA;+Ou/5UJ+ZX++bD/pKb/qljxr/o5/2n/Z/wDHXf8AKhPzK/3zYf8ASU3/AFSx41/0c/
      7T/s/+Ou/5 UJ+ZX++bD/pKb/qljxr/AKOf9p/2f/HXf8qE/Mr/AHzYf9JTf9UseNf
      9HP8AtP8As/8Ajrv+VCfm V/vmw/6Sm/6pY8a/6Of9p/2f/HXf8qE/Mr/fNh/0lN/1
      Sx41/wBHP+0/7P8A467/AJUJ+ZX++bD/ AKSm/wCqWPGv+jn/AGn/AGf/AB13/KhPz
      K/3zYf9JTf9UseNf9HP+0/7P/jrv+VCfmV/vmw/6Sm/ 6pY8a/6Of9p/2f8Ax13/AC
      oT8yv982H/AElN/wBUseNf9HP+0/7P/jrv+VCfmV/vmw/6Sm/6pY8a /wCjn/af9n/
      x13/KhPzK/wB82H/SU3/VLHjX/Rz/ALT/ALP/AI67/lQn5lf75sP+kpv+qWPGv+jn
      /af9n/x13/KhPzK/3zYf9JTf9UseNf8ARz/tP+z/AOOu/wCVCfmV/vmw/wCkpv8Aqljxr/
      o5/wBp /wBn/wAdd/yoT8yv982H/SU3/VLHjX/Rz/tP+z/467/lQn5lf75sP+kpv+q
      WPGv+jn/af9n/AMdd /wAqE/Mr/fNh/wBJTf8AVLHjX/Rz/tP+z/46htS/5x6/My70
      66tUi09WuIZIlY3TUBdSoJ/de+Jm 4+r9sfGwzx+FXHExvi7xX81//9k=</xapGImg
      :image>
      </rdf:li>
      </rdf:Alt>
      </xap:Thumbnails>
      </rdf:Description>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
      xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
      <dc:format>image/svg+xml</dc:format>
      </rdf:Description>
      </rdf:RDF>
      </x:xmpmeta>
      <?xpacket end='w'?>
      </metadata>

      The best in class project was created by Kenny Redman. He pieced
      together various Illustrator files into one large SVG (so he doesn't
      have the RDF metadata on his file that Amber Mays' does). But large
      isn't quite the right word. Once gzipped, his file shrinks to 30
      kb. I think this is an EXCELLENT example showing what type of
      animation and interaction are better for SVG than for Flash/SWF
      formats. And for what type of illustration is better in SVG than
      WebCGM. His design packs a punch (again, another colloquialism that
      means "is filled with much information") for such a small size.

      I'll put the rest of the students' projects up as I grade them.

      Sara Porter
      Purdue University
    • tom_a_hart
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
        Hi Sara,

        I'm not seeing the same results with my SVG output from Illustrator
        CS as you describe below. I don't get any RDF metadata output whether
        I have all the options on or off in the Save As SVG... Advanced
        Options dialog, or if I have Preserve Illustrator Editing
        Capabilities turned on... I wonder if there's something about
        converting the file from Freehand MX to AI that causes this weird SVG
        output. I thought it might be related to activating Version Cue for
        Illustrator CS, since that uses RDF. Do you have it turned on?

        For the layer, object, and group name problem be sure to
        choose "Identify Object by Object Name" in the Units and Display
        Performance pane in Edit>Preferences, rather than by "XML ID."

        Good luck, and congratulations on the great student project results!

        tom
        -----

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "sara_j_porter"
        <sjporter@p...> wrote:
        But I noticed that Illustrator
        > CS saves layer names differently than Illustrator 10. I've preached
        > time and again to not name layers with spaces but with underscores
        so
        > that you can easily search and find the layers when you look at the
        > mark-up. But Illustrator CS saves layer names with underscores as a
        > name_x5F_name. Illustrator 10 does not add in this x5F. For
        > example: a layer name of "red_box" will come out in the CS
        generated
        > mark-up as "red_x5F_box". Illustrator 10 saves the layer name
        > as "red_box". Does anyone know why CS does this? It's probably a
        > user error, no doubt.
        >
        > Finally, CS generates a lot of meta data that has to do with RDF (I
        > hear you yipping for joy Jim Ley!). From a simple file I made with
        > that one red box, and with the box unchecked to preserve
        Illustrator
        > editing capabilities, the decimal places set to 1, and the three
        > advanced SVG Advanced Option boxes all unchecked, I still got the
        > following mark-up at the beginning of this small file:
        >
        > <metadata>
        > <?xpacket begin='' id='W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d'?><x:xmpmeta
        > xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='XMP toolkit 3.0-29, framework
        1.6'>
        > <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'

        > The best in class project was created by Kenny Redman. He pieced
        > together various Illustrator files into one large SVG (so he
        doesn't
        > have the RDF metadata on his file that Amber Mays' does). But
        large
        > isn't quite the right word. Once gzipped, his file shrinks to 30
        > kb. I think this is an EXCELLENT example showing what type of
        > animation and interaction are better for SVG than for Flash/SWF
        > formats. And for what type of illustration is better in SVG than
        > WebCGM. His design packs a punch (again, another colloquialism
        that
        > means "is filled with much information") for such a small size.
        >
        > I'll put the rest of the students' projects up as I grade them.
        >
        > Sara Porter
        > Purdue University
      • sara_j_porter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2004
          Hi Tom,
          Please see responses below..

          <Tom>I wonder if there's something about converting the file from
          Freehand MX to AI that causes this weird SVG output.

          <Sara> Actually, I get this when I create an Illustrator CS file from
          scratch.

          <Tom> I thought it might be related to activating Version Cue for
          Illustrator CS, since that uses RDF. Do you have it turned on?

          <Sara> I had to look under the "help" file to find out what Version
          Cue was... when I found out how to see if it was turned on, it was
          not.

          So I did a series of changing all the Advanced settings when I saved
          out to SVG. Turns out this RDF metadata has to do with Encoding. The
          ISO and Unicode 16 settings do not have the RDF metadata, but the
          Unicode 8 setting does. Shore enough when I looked at the "help" file
          (I do this quite often) and searched under "encoding" there's a
          little note about this (along with a grammatical error of a omitting
          a space needed before a hyperlink). So it was a user error after all!

          <Tom> For the layer, object, and group name problem be sure to
          choose "Identify Object by Object Name" in the Units and Display
          Performance pane in Edit>Preferences, rather than by "XML ID."

          <Sara> You're absolutely right! Thanks for the note.

          <Tom> Good luck, and congratulations on the great student project
          results!

          <Sara> Always a learning process whether you're teaching it or
          learning it. Thank YOU for all of your help!

          Sara Porter
        • tom_a_hart
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2004
            You're welcome, Sara. I'm glad to have helped!

            Thanks for the tip on the Unicode settings.

            tom
            -----