Re: [svg-developers] Re: Adobe copyright

  • andre m. winter
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2004
      hi,

      beeing able to distribute ASVx *as it is* on CDrom or internet beside
      the adobe.com site would be very positive on SVG and ASV deployment. i
      really see no reason why this shouldn't be possible and i hope that
      Adobe will once have clear views hereon.

      - why distributing on CDrom? most user are using stuff at home or at
      work. at work they often are somehow restricted, at home they have slow
      modems because they have fast internet at work... (this is a classical
      situation that one can ask on fairs or by reading between the lines of
      any server log). for both they would be helped out with the plugin on
      CDrom. at home for faster access at work to bypass restrictions.

      - why on other sites as adobe.com? because of restrictions on domains.
      it is a known fact that many public adiministarations are restricted to
      certain domains. where i live this ist *.gv.at and *.ac.at (the
      everything beating thing here is that those users would have admin
      rights to install the viewer but cannot access it...)

      the obligations to not alter the viewer or any self-updating features
      could remain. but it's a pain to be able to have applications based on
      SVG that are easily switched to an offline version (and thus burned on
      cdrom) and not beeing able to add the viewer ;-(

      andré
      (working on an educational tool based on SVG to be used in schools and
      public administration)

      _________
      _/ \____ _______
      _/ ___-----___ \_____/ _ \
      / _/ \|/ \_ \_,+' \ \
      / / _\| |/_ \ |
      |==THERE'SSOMANYDIFFERENTWORLDSSOMANYDIFFERENTSUN================
      |==SANDWEHAVEJUSTONEWORLDBUTWELIVEINDIFFERENTONES================
      | '----------------------------------------- § § §
      \ \_ -/| |\-_/ _ |
      \_ \___ /|\ ___/ _____ / '+,_/ /
      \_ ----- ____/ \_______/
      \_________/

      andre m. winter http://www.carto.net/ http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/
    • revelonix
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2004
        I wrote it once, but again:

        JASC Webdraw was one of the first SVG editors. Jasc is big firm.
        ASV3.0 is bundled with this software (after fulfilling distribution
        form on Adobe site). So answer is: it is possible is some few conditions.

        Marek R.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "andre m. winter"
        <andre.winter@u...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > beeing able to distribute ASVx *as it is* on CDrom or internet beside
        > the adobe.com site would be very positive on SVG and ASV deployment. i
        > really see no reason why this shouldn't be possible and i hope that
        > Adobe will once have clear views hereon.
        >
        > - why distributing on CDrom? most user are using stuff at home or at
        > work. at work they often are somehow restricted, at home they have slow
        > modems because they have fast internet at work... (this is a classical
        > situation that one can ask on fairs or by reading between the lines of
        > any server log). for both they would be helped out with the plugin on
        > CDrom. at home for faster access at work to bypass restrictions.
        >
        > - why on other sites as adobe.com? because of restrictions on domains.
        > it is a known fact that many public adiministarations are restricted to
        > certain domains. where i live this ist *.gv.at and *.ac.at (the
        > everything beating thing here is that those users would have admin
        > rights to install the viewer but cannot access it...)
        >
        > the obligations to not alter the viewer or any self-updating features
        > could remain. but it's a pain to be able to have applications based on
        > SVG that are easily switched to an offline version (and thus burned on
        > cdrom) and not beeing able to add the viewer ;-(
        >
        > andré
        > (working on an educational tool based on SVG to be used in schools and
        > public administration)
        >

        > --
        >
        > _________
        > _/ \____ _______
        > _/ ___-----___ \_____/ _ \
        > / _/ \|/ \_ \_,+' \ \
        > / / _\| |/_ \ |
        > | ,----------------------------------------- § § §
        > |==THERE'SSOMANYDIFFERENTWORLDSSOMANYDIFFERENTSUN================
        > |==SANDWEHAVEJUSTONEWORLDBUTWELIVEINDIFFERENTONES================
        > | '----------------------------------------- § § §
        > \ \_ -/| |\-_/ _ |
        > \_ \___ /|\ ___/ _____ / '+,_/ /
        > \_ ----- ____/ \_______/
        > \_________/
        >

        > andre m. winter http://www.carto.net/ http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/
      • Kevin Lindsey
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2004
          Simon,

          > As a single sentence it seems pretty black and white to me

          Um, I wasn't questioning the meaning of the sentence. I'm questioning when
          that sentence applies. It only applies if you distribute the viewer which
          requires you to fill out the form at
          http://www.adobe.com/svg/svgdistribute.html and to agree with the license on
          that page.

          But, this is getting tedious. There are already examples of other companies
          that are both distributing ASV and using it with their applications (JASC
          comes to mind). So, obviously, Adobe is not opposed to this scenario. If
          it's important to you, then talk to Adobe.

          Kevin Lindsey
          KevLinDev - http://www.kevlindev.com
          SVG Consulting
        • Kevin Lindsey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2004
            Mario,

            > About copyright...
            > I have build a VB6 app, which hosts an WebBrowser control (IE ActiveX).
            > That control loads an HTML page hosting an SVG drawing (so ASV3 called
            > by the HTML page)....
            > We sell the app, but we freely distribute ASV3.
            > Do you think I'm violating copyright?

            I wouldn't think so, but don't trust my opinion. I would think it best to
            speak to a lawyer and/or Adobe about it.