SVG & XLinks - Just checking

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      This is probably a question for Jon or Chris, but anyone else is welcome to
      comment.

      My impression is that the only XLink functionality currently supported in SVG
      browsers is the simple-type XLinks.

      The documentation on the Adobe Viewer version 2.0 seems to make that clear.
      Does any other SVG viewer offer fuller XLink functionality.

      At the risk of making my head ache, could Chris or Jon explain how they see
      XLink linkbases being used with SVG. I can see, in principle, how they would
      be used as generic XML linkbases (if you see what I mean) but is there any
      anticipated added value of SVG linkbases?

      Thanks in advance.

      Andrew Watt
    • r_diblasi@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        Andrew and the rest of the SVG group,

        I think the group may be interested to know that the Batik project
        has released new beta...in fact 1.0 beta2...and here is what they
        have to say (Anderw take note of the linking statment:)

        <<snip>>
        There is a new beta version of Batik available:

        1. Binary distribution:
        http://xml.apache.org/batik/dist/batik-1.0beta2.zip

        2. Source distribution:
        http://xml.apache.org/batik/dist/batik-src-1.0beta2.zip

        The README on the download page recaps the changes in the various
        developer releases since beta1.

        This is an important new milestone for the project and you will see
        that SVG Fonts are now supported in Batik both for rendering and
        generation. This is getting us closer to our goal of supporting
        every static SVG feature in addition to linking, which is
        fully supported, and scripting, which is partially supported
        <<snip>>

        If you know JAVA or are just wanting to learn a new
        toolkit :-) ...look to Open source .....Batik......

        Note:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Note: This site contains information about the Batik 1.0 release.

        http://xml.apache.org/batik/index.html

        However, Batik 1.0 Beta 2 is released and the documentation for that
        new release is being built. You can access the staging area where the
        new Batik documentation is being built by following this link :

        http://xml.apache.org/batik/batik-1.0Staging/

        (which is a work in progress).
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        Also NOTE the last sentence....SVG browser>::::::::::::::::::::::::

        Batik is a Java(tm) technology based toolkit for applications that
        want to use images in the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format for
        various purposes, such as viewing, generation or manipulation.

        The project's ambition is to give developers a set of core modules
        which can be used together or individually to support specific SVG
        solutions. Example modules are, SVG parsers, SVG generators and SVG
        DOM implementations. Another ambition for the Batik project is to
        make it highly extensible (for example, Batik allows the developer to
        handle custom SVG tags). Even though the goal of the project is to
        provide a set of core modules, one of the deliverables is a full
        fledged SVG browser implementation which validates the various
        modules and their inter-operability.

        Sorry to promo so much....I just do not see much developer talk about
        Java and SVG...so forgive me .....

        SVG blooms and Grows...every little be helps
        Robert A. DiBlasi

      • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001
          In a message dated 01/05/01 20:21:05 GMT Daylight Time, r_diblasi@...
          writes:

          This is getting us closer to our goal of supporting
          every static SVG feature in addition to linking, which is
          fully supported, and scripting, which is partially supported

          Robert,

          Thanks for that. I hadn't spotted it.

          How are you progressing with SVG & Java? I know you are keen on that as a way
          forward, perhaps even to replace Java-based GUI for at least some uses. How
          is your thinking/experience on that developing?

          Maybe you should tell the Java people that SVG stands for Swing Vector
          Graphics? :)

          Andrew