SVG 1.2 feature request: event handlers on markers

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2004
      Hi all!

      At SVG.Open 2004 in Vancouver we discussed the ability to having event handlers
      on markers. Doug Schepers kindly reminded me to post this again, since it did
      not make it into the current working draft.

      We would like to have event handlers on markers, so we could do certain things
      that are related to a particular vertex in a polyline or path. The event handler
      should return the vertex index (nr of vertex from the beginning of the line).
      While this is relatively trivial for polylines, it might be more complex for
      path-elements. Here we would possibly need the nr of sub-path geometry and the
      number of vertex.

      Use cases:
      * for all sorts of line-based charts and diagrams we could display data
      associated with a particular vertex, imagine having a line-chart of a
      stock-exchange development, where you could unveil the underlying data at each
      point in time
      * for all sorts of SVG-based drawing applications: it would help to modify
      existing polylines if the script would know the nth-vertex that needs to be changed
      * for technical drawings one could associate and display attribute data or
      metadata with vertices
      * in GIS and mapping: one could associate and display attribute data with
      vertices - imagine having a map that displays skiing lifts. Each vertex
      represents a tower/pillar - you could associate all sorts of attributes with
      vertices. Getting back the n-th number of vertex that is selected will help to
      link to that data.

      I am sure there are more use-cases, but the above listed ones are already quite
      important.

      What do you think, would that be difficult to implement? Do you think it would
      be useful for your applications?

      Andreas

      --
      I don\'t know the key to success,
      but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

      Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
      ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
      Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
      e-mail: neumann@...
      www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
      SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
      Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/