embedding font

  • clay_ostrom
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2004
      Hello,

      I created an .eot file of my custom TrueType font using Microsoft
      WEFT. I've successfully embedded it into a standard HTML page, but
      have been unable to embed it as part of an SVG image.

      Technically should this work?

      I'm a little new to the lingo of SVG, but I need to create a "tag"
      (ie. text.MyTagName {font-size: 7pt; font-family: Helvetica...etc,
      that I can later on refer to as: <text class="MyTagName"
      x="12pt"...etc) for my custom font.

      Any tips on the best ways to do that?

      I tried Batik, but that appears to only translate specific characters
      and doesn't allow you to setup a "tag" like the example above.

      Very much appreciate any input.
      Thanks!
      Clay
    • Jonathan Chetwynd
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2004
        Clay,

        I don't know what an .eot file is, but the font(s) that I have seen
        embedded in SVG are in SVG format.
        So it would seem that technically it should not work.

        a search at google for > embed svg font
        turned up this: http://xml.apache.org/batik/ttf2svg.html

        thanks

        Jonathan

        On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 11:45 pm, clay_ostrom wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I created an .eot file of my custom TrueType font using Microsoft
        > WEFT. I've successfully embedded it into a standard HTML page, but
        > have been unable to embed it as part of an SVG image.
        >
        > Technically should this work?
        >
        > I'm a little new to the lingo of SVG, but I need to create a "tag"
        > (ie. text.MyTagName {font-size: 7pt; font-family: Helvetica...etc,
        > that I can later on refer to as: <text class="MyTagName"
        > x="12pt"...etc) for my custom font.
        >
        > Any tips on the best ways to do that?
        >
        > I tried Batik, but that appears to only translate specific characters
        > and doesn't allow you to setup a "tag" like the example above.
        >
        > Very much appreciate any input.
        > Thanks!
        > Clay

        > membership"
        > ----

        <image.tiff>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �

        Jonathan Chetwynd
        http://www.peepo.co.uk
        "It's easy to use"

      • clay_ostrom
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
          Hi Jonathan,

          The .eot file is associated with a font created with Microsoft WEFT --
          a tool specifically designed for translating fonts into an
          embeddable format for the web.

          I had used the Batik tool earlier (the one you provided the link to),
          but the problem I ran into with that was:
          1) It translates a range of characters and inserts all that cryptic
          code into your SVG document. I really need the font info in a
          seperate file because I'm dynamically generating my SVG code through
          an ASPX page.

          2) It didn't look like you could set up a "tag" (the thing I
          mentioned in my first message) to refer to the entire set of
          translated characters.....meaning, I need to be able to later on
          write text by just referring to that new family of characters --
          like, <text class="MyTagName"> > x="12pt"...etc.

          Any other links or advice?

          Thanks
          Clay

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Chetwynd
          <j.chetwynd@b...> wrote:
          > Clay,
          >
          > I don't know what an .eot file is, but the font(s) that I have seen
          > embedded in SVG are in SVG format.
          > So it would seem that technically it should not work.
          >
          > a search at google for > embed svg font
          > turned up this: http://xml.apache.org/batik/ttf2svg.html
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Jonathan
          >
          > On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 11:45 pm, clay_ostrom wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I created an .eot file of my custom TrueType font using Microsoft
          > > WEFT. I've successfully embedded it into a standard HTML page, but
          > > have been unable to embed it as part of an SVG image.
          > >
          > > Technically should this work?
          > >
          > > I'm a little new to the lingo of SVG, but I need to create a "tag"
          > > (ie. text.MyTagName {font-size: 7pt; font-family: Helvetica...etc,
          > > that I can later on refer to as: <text class="MyTagName"
          > > x="12pt"...etc) for my custom font.
          > >
          > > Any tips on the best ways to do that?
          > >
          > > I tried Batik, but that appears to only translate specific
          characters
          > > and doesn't allow you to setup a "tag" like the example above.
          > >
          > > Very much appreciate any input.
          > > Thanks!
          > > Clay
          > >

          > > -----
          > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
          > > -or-
          > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and
          click "edit my
          > > membership"
          > > ----
          > >

          > <image.tiff>
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

          > Jonathan Chetwynd
          > http://www.peepo.co.uk
          > "It's easy to use"

        • Thomas DeWeese
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
            Hi Clay,

            clay_ostrom wrote:

            > Hi Jonathan,
            >
            > The .eot file is associated with a font created with Microsoft WEFT --
            > a tool specifically designed for translating fonts into an
            > embeddable format for the web.
            >
            > I had used the Batik tool earlier (the one you provided the link to),
            > but the problem I ran into with that was:
            > 1) It translates a range of characters and inserts all that cryptic
            > code into your SVG document. I really need the font info in a
            > seperate file because I'm dynamically generating my SVG code through
            > an ASPX page.

            Actually it generates a new SVG document that if viewed shows
            the font. The set of characters translated is configurable by
            you on the command line.

            > 2) It didn't look like you could set up a "tag" (the thing I
            > mentioned in my first message) to refer to the entire set of
            > translated characters.....meaning, I need to be able to later on
            > write text by just referring to that new family of characters --
            > like, <text class="MyTagName"> > x="12pt"...etc.

            Check out the <font-face> element which in conjunction with
            the font-face-src and font-face-uri elements can be used to
            point to the font embedded in the file generated by the ttf2svg
            tool.

            You can also look at the batik sample:
            xml-batik/sample/tests/spec/font/fontExternalFont.svg

            It does exactly the above.

            > Any other links or advice?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Clay
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Chetwynd
            > <j.chetwynd@b...> wrote:
            >
            >>Clay,
            >>
            >>I don't know what an .eot file is, but the font(s) that I have seen
            >>embedded in SVG are in SVG format.
            >>So it would seem that technically it should not work.
            >>
            >>a search at google for > embed svg font
            >>turned up this: http://xml.apache.org/batik/ttf2svg.html
            >>
            >>thanks
            >>
            >>Jonathan
            >>
            >>On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 11:45 pm, clay_ostrom wrote:
            >>

            >>>Hello,
            >>>
            >>>I created an .eot file of my custom TrueType font using Microsoft
            >>>WEFT. I've successfully embedded it into a standard HTML page, but
            >>>have been unable to embed it as part of an SVG image.
            >>>
            >>>Technically should this work?
            >>>
            >>>I'm a little new to the lingo of SVG, but I need to create a "tag"
            >>>(ie. text.MyTagName {font-size: 7pt; font-family: Helvetica...etc,
            >>>that I can later on refer to as: <text class="MyTagName"
            >>>x="12pt"...etc) for my custom font.
            >>>
            >>>Any tips on the best ways to do that?
            >>>
            >>>I tried Batik, but that appears to only translate specific
            >
            > characters
            >
            >>>and doesn't allow you to setup a "tag" like the example above.
            >>>
            >>>Very much appreciate any input.
            >>>Thanks!
            >>>Clay
            >>>

            >>>-----
            >>>To unsubscribe send a message to:
            >>>-or-
            >>>visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and
            >
            > click "edit my
            >
            >>>membership"
            >>>----
            >>>

            >><image.tiff>
            >>
            >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>
            >>>• To visit your group on the web, go to:
            >>>
            >>>• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >>>
            >>>• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            >
            > Service.
            >

            >>Jonathan Chetwynd
            >>http://www.peepo.co.uk
            >>"It's easy to use"

            > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
            > ----
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • clay_ostrom
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
              Hi Thomas -- thanks for pointing out that sample, I hadn't seen that.
              Although, while that is what I'm trying to do, that sample didn't
              work for me. When I view batikFont.svg it shows all the correct
              characters of the font -- when I view fontExternalFont.svg (which
              points to batikFont.svg for the font definition) the characters come
              out as Arial (or some default font).

              When you view fontExternalFont.svg on your machine do you see all the
              custom characters?

              In turn when I tried this with my custom font, I had the same results.

              Thanks!
              Clay

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas DeWeese

            • Jim Ley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                "clay_ostrom" <clay_ostrom@...> wrote in message

                >I view fontExternalFont.svg (which
                >points to batikFont.svg for the font definition) the characters come
                >out as Arial (or some default font).

                This is probably an issue in your viewer, ASV 3 for exmample only supports
                fonts in the same file.

                Jim.
              • clay_ostrom
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                  Hmmm...I just installed Corel's SVG viewer and it didn't work for
                  that either. Do you know off hand what viewer does allow for embeding
                  external fonts?

                  It just seems like there must be another way to do it other than
                  including all the code within your SVG doc.

                  Thanks
                  Clay

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

                  > "clay_ostrom" <clay_ostrom@y...> wrote in message
                  >
                  > >I view fontExternalFont.svg (which
                  > >points to batikFont.svg for the font definition) the characters
                  come
                  > >out as Arial (or some default font).
                  >
                  > This is probably an issue in your viewer, ASV 3 for exmample only
                  supports
                  > fonts in the same file.
                  >
                  > Jim.
                • Jim Ley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                    > Hmmm...I just installed Corel's SVG viewer and it didn't work for
                    > that either. Do you know off hand what viewer does allow for embeding
                    > external fonts?
                    >
                    > It just seems like there must be another way to do it other than
                    > including all the code within your SVG doc.

                    ASV6, batik and CSIRO all do I believe

                    Jim.
                  • lance dyas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                      Jim Ley wrote:

                      >"clay_ostrom" <clay_ostrom@...> wrote in message
                      >

                      >>Hmmm...I just installed Corel's SVG viewer and it didn't work for
                      >>that either. Do you know off hand what viewer does allow for embeding
                      >>external fonts?
                      >>
                      >>It just seems like there must be another way to do it other than
                      >>including all the code within your SVG doc.
                      >>

                      >ASV6, batik and CSIRO all do I believe
                      >
                      >Jim.

                      Sure wish that ASV6 was a released version, are they waiting to release
                      the next version with SVG 1.2 specs?

                      Lance Dyas

                      http://www.dyasdesigns.com
                      http://www.microimages.com/gallery
                    • clay_ostrom
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                        Cool -- I just installed ASV6 (didn't know it existed), and it
                        allowed me to include the external font.

                        Thanks for the help!

                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

                        > "clay_ostrom" <clay_ostrom@y...> wrote in message
                        > > Hmmm...I just installed Corel's SVG viewer and it didn't work for
                        > > that either. Do you know off hand what viewer does allow for
                        embeding
                        > > external fonts?
                        > >
                        > > It just seems like there must be another way to do it other than
                        > > including all the code within your SVG doc.
                        >
                        > ASV6, batik and CSIRO all do I believe
                        >
                        > Jim.
                      • lance dyas
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 14, 2004
                          On This Note is there anyone making a library of SVG fonts?

                          --
                          Lance Dyas

                          Google Me under : Lost Worlds Roleplaying

                          -- Lance Dyas
                          Lost Worlds Roleplaying - at the Decision Driven Gaming Center
                          http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/LostWorlds