Re: [svg-developers] SVG Encoding problem in Adobe Illustrator

  • lance dyas
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
      vered_c222 wrote:

      >I have SVG file in unicode encoding (The file contain text with not-
      >latin charaters).
      >It is shown correctly with Adobe SVG Viewer,
      >but not in Adobe Illustrator
      >
      >(if I convert the unicode encoded SVG to ASCII, Adobe Illustrator
      >recognize the SVG, trivially with incorrect not-latin text).
      >
      >How should I convert the file so it will be shown correcly in Adobe
      >Illustrator 10?

      Use UTF8 character encoding.. it works perfectly when I did it with Kanji
      Remember to use the postscript name of the font you want...
      ArialUnicodeMS is what I did?

      If you have ArialUnicodeMS - Microsofts Arial.. you can see kanji and
      the file imports into
      Illustratrator just fine...
      http://www.microimages.com/svg/kanji.svg

      --
      Lance Dyas

      Google Me under : Lost Worlds Roleplaying

      -- Lance Dyas
      Lost Worlds Roleplaying - at the Decision Driven Gaming Center
      http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/LostWorlds
    • Peter Garza
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
        > Use UTF8 character encoding.. it works perfectly when I did it with
        Kanji
        > Remember to use the postscript name of the font you want...
        > ArialUnicodeMS is what I did?
        >
        > If you have ArialUnicodeMS - Microsofts Arial.. you can see kanji and
        > the file imports into
        > Illustratrator just fine...
        > http://www.microimages.com/svg/kanji.svg

        For what it's worth, the Japanese on the site doesn't work for me. I
        posted a question about this a while back, but didn't get any responses.
        After looking at some Japanese SVG sites, I found that I needed to put
        in font-family="MS Gothic" in the Japanese text element in order to get
        it to work.

        http://home.mindspring.com/~quetz/svg/ja/bluetriangle.svg

        Batik displayed the Japanese correctly without the font-family
        declaration, but not ASV. Maybe it's my system (Win ME, IE 5.5, ASV
        3.0)?

        Peter
      • lance dyas
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
          Peter Garza wrote:

          >>Use UTF8 character encoding.. it works perfectly when I did it with
          >>

          >Kanji
          >

          >>Remember to use the postscript name of the font you want...
          >>ArialUnicodeMS is what I did?
          >>
          >>If you have ArialUnicodeMS - Microsofts Arial.. you can see kanji and
          >>the file imports into
          >>Illustratrator just fine...
          >>http://www.microimages.com/svg/kanji.svg
          >>

          >For what it's worth, the Japanese on the site doesn't work for me.

          Arial Unicode MS is not the basic Arial at one point Microsoft was
          distributing it freely from
          there site... its a damn large font set and you can pick it up from
          various MS Office Products.

          >posted a question about this a while back, but didn't get any responses.
          >After looking at some Japanese SVG sites, I found that I needed to put
          >in font-family="MS Gothic" in the Japanese text element in order to get
          >it to work.

          If I had used MS Gothic it would have worked for you

          >http://home.mindspring.com/~quetz/svg/ja/bluetriangle.svg
          >
          >Batik displayed the Japanese correctly without the font-family
          >declaration, but not ASV.

          OK the key question being how is ASV chosing its default font versus
          Batik choosing its default font.
          By not defining a font-family you were relying on defaults.

          >Maybe it's my system (Win ME, IE 5.5, ASV
          >3.0)?

          Your OS and what not shouldnt matter for this one.

          --
          Lance Dyas
          http://www.dyasdesigns.com/
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
            lance dyas wrote:

            > Peter Garza wrote:

            >>http://home.mindspring.com/~quetz/svg/ja/bluetriangle.svg
            >>
            >>Batik displayed the Japanese correctly without the font-family
            >>declaration, but not ASV.
            >
            > OK the key question being how is ASV chosing its default font versus
            > Batik choosing its default font.
            > By not defining a font-family you were relying on defaults.

            If Batik runs out of fonts in the provided font list (including
            that provided by Batik it's self). It checks all installed fonts
            for one that can display the text.

            Additionally ASV assumes the first font in the list that can
            display the first character in the text should be used for all
            characters. Batik uses the first font on the list that can
            display each character. So in 'mixed' language text the font
            may actually change.
          • Peter Garza
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
              > lance dyas wrote:
              >
              > > Peter Garza wrote:
              >
              > >>http://home.mindspring.com/~quetz/svg/ja/bluetriangle.svg
              > >>
              > >>Batik displayed the Japanese correctly without the font-family
              > >>declaration, but not ASV.
              > >
              > > OK the key question being how is ASV chosing its default font versus
              > > Batik choosing its default font.
              > > By not defining a font-family you were relying on defaults.
              >
              > If Batik runs out of fonts in the provided font list (including
              > that provided by Batik it's self). It checks all installed fonts
              > for one that can display the text.
              >
              > Additionally ASV assumes the first font in the list that can
              > display the first character in the text should be used for all
              > characters. Batik uses the first font on the list that can
              > display each character. So in 'mixed' language text the font
              > may actually change.

              Is there any way to set a default font list for ASV, or make it rethink
              the list of fonts? It seems that ASV can't get "the first font in the
              list that can display the first character in the text" correct. The
              first character is Japanese, but it won't look for a font that will
              display Japanese correctly. Batik displayed Lance's page fine even
              though I don't have Arial Unicode MS (I thought I did, which is why I
              posted my comment in the first place. Note to self: if fonts don't
              work, check to see if you actually have them installed).

              Oh well, I guess for now I just won't rely on the defaults.

              Peter
            • Jim Ley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2004
                "Peter Garza" <quetz@...> wrote in message
                > Is there any way to set a default font list for ASV, or make it rethink
                > the list of fonts? It seems that ASV can't get "the first font in the
                > list that can display the first character in the text" correct.

                It uses the first font in the list that exists on the system IIRC, and so
                there is no way to have it look outside these fonts.

                >The
                > first character is Japanese, but it won't look for a font that will
                > display Japanese correctly.

                How do you mean by look? unlike batik it does not go searching beyond the
                listed fonts (and its default) for fonts.

                Jim.
              • Peter Garza
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2004
                  > > Is there any way to set a default font list for ASV, or make it
                  rethink
                  > > the list of fonts? It seems that ASV can't get "the first font in
                  the
                  > > list that can display the first character in the text" correct.
                  >
                  > It uses the first font in the list that exists on the system IIRC, and
                  so
                  > there is no way to have it look outside these fonts.
                  >
                  > >The
                  > > first character is Japanese, but it won't look for a font that will
                  > > display Japanese correctly.
                  >
                  > How do you mean by look? unlike batik it does not go searching beyond
                  the
                  > listed fonts (and its default) for fonts.

                  I mean search the list of fonts, which should be the fonts installed on
                  the system. I've had MS Mincho and MS Gothic installed on my computer
                  since before I downloaded Adobe's viewer, but it seems like they're not
                  in ASV's list of fonts. Or maybe it thinks that another font is
                  rendering the Japanese correctly and doesn't get to those fonts.

                  Peter
                • Jim Ley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2004
                    > I mean search the list of fonts, which should be the fonts installed on
                    > the system.

                    That would be nice, but with potentially many thousands of fonts to parse,
                    probably not very efficient.

                    Jim.
                  • Thomas DeWeese
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Jim Ley wrote:

                      > "Peter Garza" <quetz@...> wrote in message
                      >
                      >>I mean search the list of fonts, which should be the fonts installed on
                      >>the system.
                      >
                      > That would be nice, but with potentially many thousands of fonts to parse,
                      > probably not very efficient.

                      Hi Jim,

                      Why not simply skip all text? This would speed things up quite a
                      bit? :)

                      Yes, it might be slow but not doing this requires that you
                      enumerate every font that anyone might have that could display your
                      text, or else run the very real risk that people will not be able
                      to view your text (what is the JP font for Linux - any one, any one?).

                      You only need to do this search in cases where the default
                      font list fails - i.e. in cases where the text would not be displayed
                      at all. Which takes longer searching for the font or waiting for
                      the author to update the content to include the font you have
                      installed?

                      Seriously, the pseudo fonts 'Serif' & 'SanSerif' should resolve to
                      what ever font is capable of displaying those characters that is
                      installed on the client machine. This really is seriously broken
                      behavior (IMHO).

                      We could argue over the font switching within a line (although
                      CSS does require this), but if the text is all JP and it doesn't
                      find the JP font you have installed this is a serious bug.
                    • Jim Ley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2004
                        "Thomas DeWeese" <thomas.deweese@...> wrote in message
                        > You only need to do this search in cases where the default
                        > font list fails - i.e. in cases where the text would not be displayed
                        > at all. Which takes longer searching for the font or waiting for
                        > the author to update the content to include the font you have
                        > installed?

                        There's the 3rd option of have the user specify an appropriate font either
                        through prompting or the user-stylesheet.
                        (we're lumbered with the user-stylesheet, we might aswell use it!)

                        but I do agree it's far from ideal though.

                        Jim.
                      • Thomas DeWeese
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Jim Ley wrote:

                          > "Thomas DeWeese" <thomas.deweese@...> wrote in message
                          >
                          >> You only need to do this search in cases where the default
                          >>font list fails - i.e. in cases where the text would not be displayed
                          >>at all. Which takes longer searching for the font or waiting for
                          >>the author to update the content to include the font you have
                          >>installed?
                          >

                          > There's the 3rd option of have the user specify an appropriate font either
                          > through prompting or the user-stylesheet.
                          > (we're lumbered with the user-stylesheet, we might aswell use it!)

                          Do you really think it is faster and/or less code to prompt the
                          user than to search the installed fonts? Not to mention more
                          convenient for the user.

                          I would reserve the user-stylesheet for cases where a user
                          cares enough that they want to override a poorly chosen fallback
                          (or if they care enough to avoid the search time).

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2004
                            > Jim Ley wrote:
                            > Do you really think it is faster and/or less code to prompt the
                            > user than to search the installed fonts? Not to mention more
                            > convenient for the user.

                            They don't need to prompt each time, just prompt for a font to use to update
                            the user stylesheet - authoring a userstylesheet is hard, this would help.

                            Jim.