Re: Why it is not recommended? (was: Can we put SVG code in HTML?)

  • Jim Ley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
      "Don XML" <donxml@...> wrote in message
      news:bsssao+7q4m@......

      >As far as I know (and I may be wrong) RCC is a SVG only API (and I'm
      >not even sure I should call it an API).

      What do you want in a rendering API?

      > What about XHTML, SMIL, CSS and MathML?

      The W3 has one language which defines a rendering. that is SVG, and with
      RCC you can use RCC to render XHTML or MATHML or your own XML vocabulary,
      the rendering is of course defined in terms of an SVG document, but why is
      that a problem, having another rendering language (even if it's purely in
      terms of "paint bits of content" API level.

      > RCC needs to be a level below the actual markup
      >languages, and not something just for graphic interfaces.

      Could you explain exactly what you mean, I'm confused about what you're
      asking for here.

      Rendering arbitrary XML is something that exists in SVG 1.2. It doesn't
      need anything new to be added, that doesn't mean it's the same as the MS
      solution, it's not they're aiming for different problem spaces, and have
      different constraints on them.

      Jim.
    • Mike McCullough
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Don XML" <donxml@h...> wrote:
        > Browsing in Longhorn isn't done via another application (like IE on
        > Windows) but is baked into the OS. The OS is a browser. The
        current
        > alpha I'm playing with does have IE, but I'm not sure if the final
        > version will. Also, MS isn't pitching XAML to be used over the
        > Internet, but in corporate Intranets. Will some people use it on
        the
        > Internet, sure, but so far that isn't the main thrust of XAML.
        >
        > DonMXL Demsak

        How will XAML be used on the Internet? Directly from the new OS? With
        a XAML viewer? With XAML built into IE by Microsoft?

        Did I hear correctly that MS might phase out IE? If the OS is a
        browser, that would make sense. And, if they aimed to replicate IE
        market share, it would also be the ultimate strategy to "embrace and
        extend" the Internet.

        Mike McCullough