Re: Path Animation II

  • Alexander Adam
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
      hi,

      > Hi Alexander,
      > Do you want to normalize the animated or the fixed path ?
      > Can you send me your code. I'll see what i can do.

      I have a two pathes with a different amount of commands and need to
      normalize them to be able to animate between them with <animate
      dur="5s" attributeName="d" from="path 1 points" to="path 2 points"/>

      alex
    • mfatene
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003

        Since your example is secret, i give you mine :

        SVG do the job of normalization for you.

        ------------------------------
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
        <!DOCTYPE svg>
        <svg>

        <desc>
        Author : Mathias FATENE
        Object : Path animation
        </desc>

        <g transform="translate(100,50)">
        <path style="fill:green; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295
        250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z" >
        <animate attributeName="visibility" begin="1s" dur="1s"
        from="visible" to="hidden" fill="freeze"/>
        </path>

        <!-- animation -->
        <path style="fill:red; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295
        250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z">
        <animate attributeName="d" begin="1s" dur="2s" values="
        M 90 0 L 0 200 L 200 200 L 110 0 z;
        M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z;" />
        </path>
        </g>
        </svg>

        If this is not what you want, i'm sorry, i can't help.

        Mathias

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Adam"
        <evolgrafix_aadam@y...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > > Hi Alexander,
        > > Do you want to normalize the animated or the fixed path ?
        > > Can you send me your code. I'll see what i can do.
        >
        > I have a two pathes with a different amount of commands and need to
        > normalize them to be able to animate between them with <animate
        > dur="5s" attributeName="d" from="path 1 points" to="path 2 points"/>
        >
        > alex
      • mfatene
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
          Another way to have animations smoother, is to user opacity and
          from="" to="" rather than values.
          ==========================

          Author : Mathias FATENE
          Object : Path animation
          </desc>

          <g transform="translate(100,50)">
          <path style="fill:green; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295
          250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z" >
          <animate attributeName="opacity" begin="1s" dur="1.99s" from="1"
          to="0" fill="freeze"/>
          </path>

          <!-- animation -->
          <path style="fill:red; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295
          250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z">
          <animate attributeName="d" begin="1s" dur="2s" from="M 90 0 L 0 200 L
          200 200 L 110 0 z" to ="M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z" />
          </path>
          </g>
          </svg>

          ===========================
          Mathias

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mfatene"
          <mathias.fatene@w...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Since your example is secret, i give you mine :
          >
          > SVG do the job of normalization for you.
          >
          > ------------------------------
          > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
          > <!DOCTYPE svg>
          > <svg>
          >
          > <desc>
          > Author : Mathias FATENE
          > Object : Path animation
          > </desc>
          >
          > <g transform="translate(100,50)">
          > <path style="fill:green; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M
          295
          > 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z" >
          > <animate attributeName="visibility" begin="1s" dur="1s"
          > from="visible" to="hidden" fill="freeze"/>
          > </path>
          >
          > <!-- animation -->
          > <path style="fill:red; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295
          > 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z">
          > <animate attributeName="d" begin="1s" dur="2s" values="
          > M 90 0 L 0 200 L 200 200 L 110 0 z;
          > M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z;" />
          > </path>
          > </g>
          > </svg>
          >
          > If this is not what you want, i'm sorry, i can't help.
          >
          > Mathias
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Adam"
          > <evolgrafix_aadam@y...> wrote:
          > > hi,
          > >
          > > > Hi Alexander,
          > > > Do you want to normalize the animated or the fixed path ?
          > > > Can you send me your code. I'll see what i can do.
          > >
          > > I have a two pathes with a different amount of commands and need
          > > normalize them to be able to animate between them with <animate
          > > dur="5s" attributeName="d" from="path 1 points" to="path 2
          points"/>

          > > alex
        • Alexander Adam
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
            hi Mathias,

            No, in your sample there's no nomalization (and viewers are not
            doing that automatically, that's my problem here), your pathes are
            all having the same amount (and even the same types) of commands:

            M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z
            M 90 0 L 0 200 L 200 200 L 110 0 z
            M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z

            Alex
          • mfatene
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
              and yours ?

              <evolgrafix_aadam@y...> wrote:
              > hi Mathias,
              >
              > No, in your sample there's no nomalization (and viewers are not
              > doing that automatically, that's my problem here), your pathes are
              > all having the same amount (and even the same types) of commands:
              >
              > M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z
              > M 90 0 L 0 200 L 200 200 L 110 0 z
              > M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z
              >
              > Alex
            • Alexander Adam
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
                <mathias.fatene@w...> wrote:
                > and yours ?

                they can have *any* kind and *any* amount of commands.. so they need
                to be normalized with each other to be used in a smooth animation.

                alex
              • Mathias FATENE
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
                  May be you can see normalizedPathSegList at
                  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#PathElement.

                  good luck
                  Mathias

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Hi Alexander,
                    You can look at this axample. It's similar to path morphing. see for that
                    http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/path_morphing.shtml.
                    As it's said in the document :
                    [... There are some constraints for doing path-morphing: Currently you have
                    to use the same number of vertices in both path-elements, and they have to
                    be of the same type (you can't mix Bézier and non-Bézier when they don't
                    appear in the same order in the other path-description. You should also
                    orient both polygons in the same direction (left-right and right-left would
                    produce unwanted results). ...]

                    You can see that i complete the number of vertices to get the same number
                    (L200 200 L200 200). Your script can do that.
                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
                    <!DOCTYPE svg>
                    <svg style="shape-rendering:geometricPrecision;
                    text-rendering:geometricPrecision; image-rendering:optimizeQuality">

                    <desc>
                    Author : Mathias FATENE
                    Object : Path animation
                    </desc>
                    <!-- animation -->
                    <path style="fill:red; stroke:rgb(0,0,0); stroke-width:5" d="M 295 250 L 250
                    350 L 350 350 L 305 250 z">
                    <animate attributeName="d" calcMode="linear" begin="1s" dur="5s" from="M 100
                    0 L 0 200 L 200 200 L200 200 L200 200z" to ="M 295 250 L 250 350 L 350 350 L
                    310 250 L 305 220 z" />
                    </path>
                    </g>
                    </svg>

                    Mathias

                    they can have *any* kind and *any* amount of commands.. so they need
                    to be normalized with each other to be used in a smooth animation.

                    alex

                  • Kevin Lindsey
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Alex.

                      > I'm still fighting with that animating of a path. Is there any
                      > script or so out there that lets me "normalize" two pathes
                      > to each other so that I could animate from the first one to
                      > the second one by using the d="" attribute .. ?

                      1) Divide each path into a list of sub-paths; a sub-path being from an M/m command to the next Z/z command or to the command before the next M/m command, whichever is first.

                      2) Convert each sub-path to a form that uses cubic Béziers or quadratic Béziers only. All path commands can be converted to either of these types, but I'm not sure which type would be better to use.

                      Lines will be easy to convert. Arcs may be a little more challenging, but you may be able to adapt the circle approximation discussion on the SVG Wiki:

                      http://www.protocol7.com/svg-wiki/ow.asp?ThePath

                      For completeness, you will need to determine how to convert quadratic Béziers to cubic or vica versa depending on which Bézier type you decide to use. There's a Perl module (I haven't used it) that shows the math involved:

                      http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/Y/YS/YSAS/ - See Math-Bezier-Convert-0.01.tar.gz

                      3) Now, your paths are in a sort of canonical form. You need to traverse each path's sub-paths (the "to" and the "from" paths) in parallel. Chances are the number of control points will differ. You will need to use a Bézier curve splitting algorithm to add control points to the path with the fewer control points. I believe this is discussed on the Wiki page I mentioned earlier. You will have to come up with some type of heuristic to determine where to add control points.

                      Other challenges involve animating between two paths with a differing number of sub-paths, but this approach sounds do-able.

                      HTH,
                      Kevin
                      KevLinDev - http://www.kevlindev.com

                    • Gavin Kistner
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 3, 2003
                        On Nov 3, 2003, at 10:29 AM, Kevin Lindsey wrote:
                        >> I'm still fighting with that animating of a path. Is there any
                        >> script or so out there that lets me "normalize" two pathes
                        >> to each other so that I could animate from the first one to
                        >> the second one by using the d="" attribute .. ?
                        > [...a really nice and proper way to normalize paths that undoubtedly
                        > involves much math...]

                        Alex, if you're just trying to make the animation happen, and the only
                        constraint is that you need the same number of points in the two lines,
                        how about just 'padding' the line which has less points with a bunch of
                        no-movement ones at the end to get the same amount?

                        The animation results may not be what you wanted (the animation will be
                        spreading those points out) but might be Good Enough.

                        --
                        "States have been altered by liquor, by weed; and then hate gets
                        exalted as art falls to greed." -Will Smith, /Born to Reign/
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 5, 2003
                          Gavin,

                          > On Nov 3, 2003, at 10:29 AM, Kevin Lindsey wrote:
                          >>> I'm still fighting with that animating of a path. Is there any
                          >>> script or so out there that lets me "normalize" two pathes
                          >>> to each other so that I could animate from the first one to
                          >>> the second one by using the d="" attribute .. ?
                          > [...a really nice and proper way to normalize paths that undoubtedly
                          > involves much math...]

                          The math isn't that hard, especially since a lot of it can be found online
                          (in Perl modules for example).

                          A while ago, I had been thinking about the approach I outlined, so I decided
                          to go ahead and give it a try. The results aren't too bad, but I'm sure I
                          will need to tweak things. I also found that it's helpful to have some
                          utilities that let you restructure path data without altering the final
                          appearance: for instance, converting a clockwise path to a counter-clockwise
                          path.

                          I'll try to get something written up on this so others can make use of it,
                          but here are some early results for those who are interested. Each example
                          starts with two (simple) paths that get converted step by step to paths with
                          an equal number of cubic bézier commands. I still need to try this out on
                          compound paths.

                          http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_animation/boxArcSample.svg
                          http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_animation/dollarTriangleSample.svg

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 5, 2003
                            Hi Kevin,
                            what is the rate to change $ to triangle today ?
                            Mathias

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                              I wrote:

                              > I'll try to get something written up on this so others can make use of it

                              For those of you who are interested, I have posted some more information on one method for converting the path data of two paths so that you can smoothly animate between the shapes of the two paths.

                              http://www.kevlindev.com/blog/index.htm
                              http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_parser/index.htm

                              Happy SVGin!

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                On Nov 7, 2003, at 5:20 PM, Kevin Lindsey wrote:
                                > For those of you who are interested, I have posted some more
                                > information on one method for converting the path data of two paths so
                                > that you can smoothly animate between the shapes of the two paths.
                                >
                                > http://www.kevlindev.com/blog/index.htm
                                > http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_parser/index.htm

                                Kevin, you are too cool :)
                                Nice work, again.
                              • Alexander Adam
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                  hi Kevin,

                                  > > http://www.kevlindev.com/blog/index.htm
                                  > > http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_parser/index.htm

                                  Cool stuff. But I tried with the following two pathes:

                                  <path d="M150,60 h210 v90 h-210 v-90" fill="none"
                                  stroke="#000000" />
                                  <path d="M360,105 C 360,117 349,128, 329,137 C 310,145 283,150,
                                  255,150 C 227,150 200,145, 181,137 C 161,128 150,117, 150,105 C
                                  150,93 161,82, 181,73 C 200,65 227,60, 255,60 C 283,60 310,65,
                                  329,73 C 349,82 360,93, 360,105" fill="none" stroke="#000000" />

                                  And I get an exception from the script saying this._s is NaN - try
                                  it yourself. Other pathes worked well, great work, but why does the
                                  above path not work ?

                                  Alex
                                • Alexander Adam
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                    hi kevin (again),

                                    Still playing with your stuff.
                                    Tried these two pathes:

                                    <path d="M60,130 L139,69 L209,119 L169,169 L220,160 L209,189
                                    L180,209 L130,169 L90,160" />
                                    <path d="M67.44,137.44 L146.44,76.44 L216.44,126.44
                                    L176.44,176.44 L227.44,167.44 L216.44,196.44 L187.44,216.44
                                    L137.44,176.44 L97.44,167.44 L81.86,226.98 L108.65,260.46
                                    L81.86,282.79 L29.02,258.23 L26.05,213.58 L10.42,155.53
                                    L11.91,117.58 L69.95,76.65 L105.67,60.28" fill="#CE4444" />

                                    --> I get d1:
                                    "M60,130 C60,130,139,69,139,69 139,69,209,119,209,119
                                    209,119,169,169,169,169 169,169,220,160,220,160
                                    220,160,209,189,209,189 209,189,180,209,180,209
                                    180,209,130,169,130,169 130,169,90,160,90,160

                                    and d2:
                                    M67.44,137.44 C67.44,137.44,146.44,76.44,146.44,76.44
                                    146.44,76.44,216.44,126.44,216.44,126.44
                                    216.44,126.44,176.44,176.44,176.44,176.44
                                    176.44,176.44,227.44,167.44,227.44,167.44
                                    227.44,167.44,216.44,196.44,216.44,196.44
                                    216.44,196.44,187.44,216.44,187.44,216.44
                                    187.44,216.44,137.44,176.44,137.44,176.44
                                    137.44,176.44,97.44,167.44,97.44,167.44
                                    97.44,167.44,81.86,226.98,81.86,226.98
                                    81.86,226.98,108.65,260.46,108.65,260.46
                                    108.65,260.46,81.86,282.79,81.86,282.79
                                    81.86,282.79,29.02,258.23,29.02,258.23
                                    29.02,258.23,26.05,213.58,26.05,213.58
                                    26.05,213.58,10.42,155.53,10.42,155.53
                                    10.42,155.53,11.91,117.58,11.91,117.58
                                    11.91,117.58,69.95,76.65,69.95,76.65
                                    69.95,76.65,105.67,60.28,105.67,60.28

                                    You see point amount is different here but shouldn't your
                                    method "normalize" them --> also set the same amount of points? I
                                    thought it does.. was I wrong or did I do something wrong with my
                                    two pathes here ?

                                    Alex
                                  • Alexander Adam
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                      hi Kevin for the third time ;)

                                      I got some cool results now with your stuff but I was finally able
                                      to replicate one BIG bug, take these two pathes as p1 and p2 in your
                                      dollar_triangle sample:

                                      <path id="p1"
                                      d="M125,136 L166,156 L146,115 L189,99 L146,84 L166,43
                                      L125,62 L110,19 L95,62 L53,43 L73,84 L30,99 L73,115 L53,156 L95,136
                                      L110,180 L125,136 L125,136"
                                      stroke="green" stroke-width="3" fill="none"/>
                                      <path id="p2"
                                      d="M137,128 L189,99 L137,71 L110,19 L82,71 L30,99
                                      L82,128 L110,180 L137,128 L137,128"
                                      stroke="green" stroke-width="3" fill="none"/>

                                      Now run and you should notify that the whole Internet Explorer / The
                                      ASVG Plugin stopped working!? Looks for me like an endless loop
                                      somewhere or so but couldn't find it.. could you tell me where I
                                      have to fix what to avoid that endless loop ?

                                      thanks a lot,
                                      alex
                                    • Alexander Adam
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                        Kevin,

                                        Ignore this issue! I found the solution myself, the path with more
                                        points must be always "p1" and it works perfectly!
                                        Still the two other things left if you could have a look at them...

                                        alex

                                        > Still playing with your stuff.
                                        > Tried these two pathes:
                                        >
                                        > <path d="M60,130 L139,69 L209,119 L169,169 L220,160 L209,189
                                        > L180,209 L130,169 L90,160" />
                                        > <path d="M67.44,137.44 L146.44,76.44 L216.44,126.44
                                        > L176.44,176.44 L227.44,167.44 L216.44,196.44 L187.44,216.44
                                        > L137.44,176.44 L97.44,167.44 L81.86,226.98 L108.65,260.46
                                        > L81.86,282.79 L29.02,258.23 L26.05,213.58 L10.42,155.53
                                        > L11.91,117.58 L69.95,76.65 L105.67,60.28" fill="#CE4444" />
                                        >
                                        > --> I get d1:
                                        > "M60,130 C60,130,139,69,139,69 139,69,209,119,209,119
                                        > 209,119,169,169,169,169 169,169,220,160,220,160
                                        > 220,160,209,189,209,189 209,189,180,209,180,209
                                        > 180,209,130,169,130,169 130,169,90,160,90,160
                                        >
                                        > and d2:
                                        > M67.44,137.44 C67.44,137.44,146.44,76.44,146.44,76.44
                                        > 146.44,76.44,216.44,126.44,216.44,126.44
                                        > 216.44,126.44,176.44,176.44,176.44,176.44
                                        > 176.44,176.44,227.44,167.44,227.44,167.44
                                        > 227.44,167.44,216.44,196.44,216.44,196.44
                                        > 216.44,196.44,187.44,216.44,187.44,216.44
                                        > 187.44,216.44,137.44,176.44,137.44,176.44
                                        > 137.44,176.44,97.44,167.44,97.44,167.44
                                        > 97.44,167.44,81.86,226.98,81.86,226.98
                                        > 81.86,226.98,108.65,260.46,108.65,260.46
                                        > 108.65,260.46,81.86,282.79,81.86,282.79
                                        > 81.86,282.79,29.02,258.23,29.02,258.23
                                        > 29.02,258.23,26.05,213.58,26.05,213.58
                                        > 26.05,213.58,10.42,155.53,10.42,155.53
                                        > 10.42,155.53,11.91,117.58,11.91,117.58
                                        > 11.91,117.58,69.95,76.65,69.95,76.65
                                        > 69.95,76.65,105.67,60.28,105.67,60.28
                                        >
                                        > You see point amount is different here but shouldn't your
                                        > method "normalize" them --> also set the same amount of points? I
                                        > thought it does.. was I wrong or did I do something wrong with my
                                        > two pathes here ?
                                        >
                                        > Alex
                                      • Kevin Lindsey
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 8, 2003
                                          Alexander,

                                          > > > http://www.kevlindev.com/blog/index.htm
                                          > > > http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/path_parser/index.htm
                                          >
                                          > Cool stuff. But I tried with the following two pathes: ...
                                          > And I get an exception from the script saying this._s is NaN

                                          I won't be able to fix this correctly until next week, but I've put in a
                                          temporary fix that gets around the problem for now.

                                          > Tried these two pathes: ...
                                          > You see point amount is different here

                                          It appears to work for me now.

                                          > I got some cool results now with your stuff but I was finally able
                                          > to replicate one BIG bug, take these two pathes ...

                                          This too is related to the same code. I'm confident I've found the problem,
                                          but I need a little time to find the correct solution. Basically a root
                                          finder is taking too long to converge in certain cases. I'm not saying this
                                          is a solution, but if you wait a little while, you'll see that the
                                          conversion will complete.

                                          > the path with more points must be always "p1" and it works
                                          > perfectly

                                          Your sample appears to be working with latest revision of code.

                                          Thanks for pointing out these problems. If you run into others, please
                                          email me directly. That way we can spare the list from the line noise.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 9, 2003
                                            Kevin,

                                            > Thanks for pointing out these problems. If you run into others,
                                            please
                                            > email me directly. That way we can spare the list from the line
                                            noise.

                                            Thanks for the temporary Fixes. I look forward to the fix next week,
                                            could you notify me at alex.adam'at'evolgrafix'dot'com when its out?

                                            Alex
                                            http://www.svg-cafe.com
                                          • Alexander Adam