Illustrator and batik

  • fgn.rm
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      Has anybody being able to create a large svg (using symbols and
      fonts) in illustrator 10 and then make it interact with batik?
      I am running into a variety of problems including css errors and
      other issues I can't identify.

      I have tried all different save option combinations in illustrator
      but none seem to work when I try to open them with batik ..squigle
      browser. I need a command line tool to save my svgs into pdfs on
      demand, and batik seems like the right way to go. If anybody knows
      why illustrator causes this to happen and if theres a way around
      it , please rescue me!

      Confused,
      Felipe
    • neumannandreas
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
        it works perfectly fine for me. I don't see any problems
        viewing/converting files in Batik created by Illustrator 10.

        Maybe you use an old Batik/Fop version?

        Do the SVGs open fine in other SVG viewers (Adobe/corel?)

        Ah - maybe there is a font issue .... As far as I know, Adobe does not
        export SVG fonts, but Adobe proprietary fonts. If you have the fonts
        installed on your system, you do not need to include the fonts. If you
        want to share the fonts you can use Batiks ttf to svg font converter.
        Corel Draw exports SVG fonts as well.

        But Batik seems to work on my system with the proprietary Adobe fonts
        embedded as well (maybe it just ignores them?)

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "fgn.rm" <fgn@r...> wrote:
        > Has anybody being able to create a large svg (using symbols and
        > fonts) in illustrator 10 and then make it interact with batik?
        > I am running into a variety of problems including css errors and
        > other issues I can't identify.
        >
        > I have tried all different save option combinations in illustrator
        > but none seem to work when I try to open them with batik ..squigle
        > browser. I need a command line tool to save my svgs into pdfs on
        > demand, and batik seems like the right way to go. If anybody knows
        > why illustrator causes this to happen and if theres a way around
        > it , please rescue me!
        >
        > Confused,
        > Felipe
      • Thomas DeWeese
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi Felipe,

          Yes it sounds like the font stuff. You will likely need
          the CVS version of Batik to avoid the CSS 'errors'. However
          because Adobe embeds the fonts as CEF fonts (a weird variant
          of OpenType that uses Type 1 data) Batik will just ignore the
          font and 'fallback' to whatever else might be on the font
          list (usually nothing in this case).

          neumannandreas wrote:

          > it works perfectly fine for me. I don't see any problems
          > viewing/converting files in Batik created by Illustrator 10.
          >
          > Maybe you use an old Batik/Fop version?
          >
          > Do the SVGs open fine in other SVG viewers (Adobe/corel?)
          >
          > Ah - maybe there is a font issue .... As far as I know, Adobe does not
          > export SVG fonts, but Adobe proprietary fonts. If you have the fonts
          > installed on your system, you do not need to include the fonts. If you
          > want to share the fonts you can use Batiks ttf to svg font converter.
          > Corel Draw exports SVG fonts as well.
          >
          > But Batik seems to work on my system with the proprietary Adobe fonts
          > embedded as well (maybe it just ignores them?)
          >
          > Andreas
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "fgn.rm" <fgn@r...> wrote:
          >
          >>Has anybody being able to create a large svg (using symbols and
          >>fonts) in illustrator 10 and then make it interact with batik?
          >>I am running into a variety of problems including css errors and
          >>other issues I can't identify.
          >>
          >>I have tried all different save option combinations in illustrator
          >>but none seem to work when I try to open them with batik ..squigle
          >>browser. I need a command line tool to save my svgs into pdfs on
          >>demand, and batik seems like the right way to go. If anybody knows
          >>why illustrator causes this to happen and if theres a way around
          >>it , please rescue me!
          >>
          >>Confused,
          >> Felipe

          > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"

        • Chris Lilley
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            On Sunday, November 2, 2003, 11:08:17 PM, neumannandreas wrote:

            n> But Batik seems to work on my system with the proprietary Adobe fonts
            n> embedded as well (maybe it just ignores them?)

            That is what the spec says to do, go on to the next font in the list.

            --
            Chris mailto:chris@...