Re: I need help!

  • mfatene
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
      In graph theory (Operational Research in french), there is route
      finder algorithms in graphs. I know this is not a simple problem (NP-
      complex).

      I haven't my old "OR" course, but it may be findable.

      Thank you.
      Mathias

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "neumannandreas"
      <neumann@k...> wrote:
      > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
      sorry
      > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
      >
      > Mathias, you probably refer to
      > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
      >
      > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
      > animate the dash-offset of a line.
      >
      > As to your previous post:
      >
      > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
      SQL
      > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
      > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
      > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
      > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
      freeway
      > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
      is
      > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
      > combinations, intially.
      >
      > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
      > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
      it
      > available in Standard SQL databases.
      >
      > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
      expensive
      > than the software itself ...
      >
      > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
      > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
      >
      > Andreas
    • Mathias FATENE
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        You can take a look at :
        http://www.opengis.org/docs/99-049.pdf : link between SQL databases and
        GIS
        http://www.opengis.org/specs/?page=baseline : docs on the specs.

        for algorithms, i found a thesis with a lot of algorithms, but don't know if
        it will help (see for example Ch. 4).
        http://www.fing.edu.uy/~gutierre/publications/hasta1997/these/these_index.ht
        ml

        I haven't an exact answer because i've never worked with that.
        Mathias

        <neumann@k...> wrote:
        > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
        sorry
        > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
        >
        > Mathias, you probably refer to
        > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
        >
        > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
        > animate the dash-offset of a line.
        >
        > As to your previous post:
        >
        > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
        SQL
        > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
        > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
        > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
        > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
        freeway
        > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
        is
        > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
        > combinations, intially.
        >
        > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
        > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
        it
        > available in Standard SQL databases.
        >
        > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
        expensive
        > than the software itself ...
        >
        > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
        > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
        >
        > Andreas

      • Martin Giljohann
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
          You could have a look at the 'Data Structures Library in Java'. Besides
          other algorithms it deals with graph problems and countains an implementation of
          Dijkstra's shortest-path. However the license seems to be only for
          noncommercial projects.

          http://www.jdsl.org

          Regards,
          Martin

          <neumann@k...> wrote:
          > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
          sorry
          > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
          >
          > Mathias, you probably refer to
          > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
          >
          > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
          > animate the dash-offset of a line.
          >
          > As to your previous post:
          >
          > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
          SQL
          > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
          > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
          > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
          > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
          freeway
          > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
          is
          > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
          > combinations, intially.
          >
          > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
          > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
          it
          > available in Standard SQL databases.
          >
          > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
          expensive
          > than the software itself ...
          >
          > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
          > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
          >
          > Andreas

        • peter_rodhouse2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
            Jus t want to thanks you all for getting back so soon, and for your
            advice.
            Thanks
            Pete!

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"