Re: I need help!

  • mfatene
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
      I want just to add that Start and End are certainly referenced by Ids
      in the global svg file, and have corresponding data in the database.

      The rest is just highligting of the route.

      There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet, sorry
      i don't have the url, but you should find it.

      Mathias

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mfatene"

    • neumannandreas
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet, sorry
        > i don't have the url, but you should find it.

        Mathias, you probably refer to
        http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml

        which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
        animate the dash-offset of a line.

        As to your previous post:

        A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a SQL
        database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
        already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
        route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
        you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a freeway
        is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which is
        usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
        combinations, intially.

        So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
        so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is it
        available in Standard SQL databases.

        And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more expensive
        than the software itself ...

        Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
        be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...

        Andreas
      • mfatene
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
          In graph theory (Operational Research in french), there is route
          finder algorithms in graphs. I know this is not a simple problem (NP-
          complex).

          I haven't my old "OR" course, but it may be findable.

          Thank you.

          <neumann@k...> wrote:
          > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
          sorry
          > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
          >
          > Mathias, you probably refer to
          > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
          >
          > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
          > animate the dash-offset of a line.
          >
          > As to your previous post:
          >
          > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
          SQL
          > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
          > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
          > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
          > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
          freeway
          > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
          is
          > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
          > combinations, intially.
          >
          > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
          > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
          it
          > available in Standard SQL databases.
          >
          > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
          expensive
          > than the software itself ...
          >
          > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
          > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
          >
          > Andreas
        • Mathias FATENE
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
            You can take a look at :
            http://www.opengis.org/docs/99-049.pdf : link between SQL databases and
            GIS
            http://www.opengis.org/specs/?page=baseline : docs on the specs.

            for algorithms, i found a thesis with a lot of algorithms, but don't know if
            it will help (see for example Ch. 4).
            http://www.fing.edu.uy/~gutierre/publications/hasta1997/these/these_index.ht
            ml

            I haven't an exact answer because i've never worked with that.
            Mathias

            <neumann@k...> wrote:
            > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
            sorry
            > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
            >
            > Mathias, you probably refer to
            > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
            >
            > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
            > animate the dash-offset of a line.
            >
            > As to your previous post:
            >
            > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
            SQL
            > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
            > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
            > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
            > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
            freeway
            > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
            is
            > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
            > combinations, intially.
            >
            > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
            > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
            it
            > available in Standard SQL databases.
            >
            > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
            expensive
            > than the software itself ...
            >
            > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
            > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
            >
            > Andreas

          • Martin Giljohann
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
              You could have a look at the 'Data Structures Library in Java'. Besides
              other algorithms it deals with graph problems and countains an implementation of
              Dijkstra's shortest-path. However the license seems to be only for
              noncommercial projects.

              http://www.jdsl.org

              Regards,
              Martin

              <neumann@k...> wrote:
              > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
              sorry
              > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
              >
              > Mathias, you probably refer to
              > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
              >
              > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
              > animate the dash-offset of a line.
              >
              > As to your previous post:
              >
              > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
              SQL
              > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
              > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
              > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
              > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
              freeway
              > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
              is
              > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
              > combinations, intially.
              >
              > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
              > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
              it
              > available in Standard SQL databases.
              >
              > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
              expensive
              > than the software itself ...
              >
              > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
              > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
              >
              > Andreas

            • peter_rodhouse2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                Jus t want to thanks you all for getting back so soon, and for your
                advice.
                Thanks
                Pete!

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"