I need help!

  • peter_rodhouse2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hello all,
      I am fairly new to this.
      I am doing a project where I have to create a route finder. At the
      moment I have the apache tomcat web server running. I have the mySql
      server running.
      I want to get the user to write their requested start / end location
      in a JSP (java Server Page) page and then it access the database and
      return a map and a textual route.

      I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to the best way
      to do this,
      i.e. SVG and XML or SVG and GML.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Pete!
    • neumannandreas
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        hm, do you have a routing algorithm already on your server? Of course, SVG can't do
        your route finding but only the display of the result.

        Depending on your interface you could either send the input from SVG or from HTML.

        If you want to send it from SVG you can use getURL() to send a request to the server.
        You can send SVG fragments back from the server and include it within the document
        tree of the existing SVG file.

        Of course, it might be easier to have a HTML form and then use the HTML
        mechanisms get or post and then send back from the server the graphical result
        (SVG) and the verbal result in HTML.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_rodhouse2003"
        <peter_rodhouse2003@y...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I am fairly new to this.
        > I am doing a project where I have to create a route finder. At the
        > moment I have the apache tomcat web server running. I have the mySql
        > server running.
        > I want to get the user to write their requested start / end location
        > in a JSP (java Server Page) page and then it access the database and
        > return a map and a textual route.
        >
        > I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to the best way
        > to do this,
        > i.e. SVG and XML or SVG and GML.
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        > Pete!
      • mfatene
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
          I think the finding route algo should be in the sql query. The
          results too. From those results, you will construct your SVG fragment.
          Mathias
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "neumannandreas"
          <neumann@k...> wrote:
          > hm, do you have a routing algorithm already on your server? Of
          course, SVG can't do
          > your route finding but only the display of the result.
          >
          > Depending on your interface you could either send the input from
          SVG or from HTML.

          > If you want to send it from SVG you can use getURL() to send a
          request to the server.
          > You can send SVG fragments back from the server and include it
          within the document
          > tree of the existing SVG file.
          >
          > Of course, it might be easier to have a HTML form and then use the
          HTML
          > mechanisms get or post and then send back from the server the
          graphical result
          > (SVG) and the verbal result in HTML.
          >
          > Andreas
          >

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_rodhouse2003"
          > <peter_rodhouse2003@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello all,
          > > I am fairly new to this.
          > > I am doing a project where I have to create a route finder. At
          the
          > > moment I have the apache tomcat web server running. I have the
          mySql
          > > server running.
          > > I want to get the user to write their requested start / end
          location
          > > in a JSP (java Server Page) page and then it access the database
          and
          > > return a map and a textual route.
          > >
          > > I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to the best
          way
          > > to do this,
          > > i.e. SVG and XML or SVG and GML.
          > > Any help would be appreciated.
          > > Pete!
        • mfatene
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
            I want just to add that Start and End are certainly referenced by Ids
            in the global svg file, and have corresponding data in the database.

            The rest is just highligting of the route.

            There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet, sorry
            i don't have the url, but you should find it.

            Mathias

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mfatene"

          • neumannandreas
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
              > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet, sorry
              > i don't have the url, but you should find it.

              Mathias, you probably refer to
              http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml

              which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
              animate the dash-offset of a line.

              As to your previous post:

              A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a SQL
              database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
              already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
              route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
              you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a freeway
              is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which is
              usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
              combinations, intially.

              So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
              so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is it
              available in Standard SQL databases.

              And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more expensive
              than the software itself ...

              Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
              be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...

              Andreas
            • mfatene
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                In graph theory (Operational Research in french), there is route
                finder algorithms in graphs. I know this is not a simple problem (NP-
                complex).

                I haven't my old "OR" course, but it may be findable.

                Thank you.

                <neumann@k...> wrote:
                > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
                sorry
                > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
                >
                > Mathias, you probably refer to
                > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
                >
                > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
                > animate the dash-offset of a line.
                >
                > As to your previous post:
                >
                > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
                SQL
                > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
                > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
                > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
                > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
                freeway
                > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
                is
                > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
                > combinations, intially.
                >
                > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
                > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
                it
                > available in Standard SQL databases.
                >
                > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
                expensive
                > than the software itself ...
                >
                > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
                > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
                >
                > Andreas
              • Mathias FATENE
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                  You can take a look at :
                  http://www.opengis.org/docs/99-049.pdf : link between SQL databases and
                  GIS
                  http://www.opengis.org/specs/?page=baseline : docs on the specs.

                  for algorithms, i found a thesis with a lot of algorithms, but don't know if
                  it will help (see for example Ch. 4).
                  http://www.fing.edu.uy/~gutierre/publications/hasta1997/these/these_index.ht
                  ml

                  I haven't an exact answer because i've never worked with that.
                  Mathias

                  <neumann@k...> wrote:
                  > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
                  sorry
                  > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
                  >
                  > Mathias, you probably refer to
                  > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
                  >
                  > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
                  > animate the dash-offset of a line.
                  >
                  > As to your previous post:
                  >
                  > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
                  SQL
                  > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
                  > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
                  > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
                  > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
                  freeway
                  > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
                  is
                  > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
                  > combinations, intially.
                  >
                  > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
                  > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
                  it
                  > available in Standard SQL databases.
                  >
                  > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
                  expensive
                  > than the software itself ...
                  >
                  > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
                  > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
                  >
                  > Andreas

                • Martin Giljohann
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                    You could have a look at the 'Data Structures Library in Java'. Besides
                    other algorithms it deals with graph problems and countains an implementation of
                    Dijkstra's shortest-path. However the license seems to be only for
                    noncommercial projects.

                    http://www.jdsl.org

                    Regards,
                    Martin

                    <neumann@k...> wrote:
                    > > There are example of bus trajetctory with svg on the internet,
                    sorry
                    > > i don't have the url, but you should find it.
                    >
                    > Mathias, you probably refer to
                    > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml
                    >
                    > which is a derived example of Michel Hirtzlers original idea to
                    > animate the dash-offset of a line.
                    >
                    > As to your previous post:
                    >
                    > A route-finding algorithm is certainly not a standard feature of a
                    SQL
                    > database. So what he needs, if he doesn't have any routing-algorithm
                    > already, is a commercial GIS or source-code or a clever idea of a
                    > route-finding algorithm. This is not a trivial thing, even more that
                    > you usually have to put weights on your line-segments (e.g. a
                    freeway
                    > is faster than a regular road, etc.). And with huge datasets (which
                    is
                    > usually the case in GIS) you end up with lot's of possible
                    > combinations, intially.
                    >
                    > So a route-finding algorithm is not a trivial thing todo in a day or
                    > so (unless you are very clever). Neither is it cheap to buy, nor is
                    it
                    > available in Standard SQL databases.
                    >
                    > And: you need the corresponding data, which can be even more
                    expensive
                    > than the software itself ...
                    >
                    > Well, if anyone knows a cheap or free routing algorithm (there might
                    > be solutions out there), I'd be interesting to hear as well ...
                    >
                    > Andreas

                  • peter_rodhouse2003
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Jus t want to thanks you all for getting back so soon, and for your
                      advice.
                      Thanks
                      Pete!

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"