RE: [svg-developers] Re: accessibility of SVG: print, copy and paste parts of SVG images

  • Mathias FATENE
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi all,
      >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
      >> aren't any tools that support what you need.

      SVG can do it.
      The problem is that the jonathan demand is not very clear. What do you want
      to paste ?
      A whole document or just nodes ?
      If it is a document copy/paste to another svg document, the solution is very
      easy : getURL and PaprseXML and it is for free.

      if he want copy/paste of a region, this is another question.

      Mathias

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
        ... continue last mail ...

        And if you're Windows user, inserting the new svg document and
        printing it is done without a problem.

        All that for free, with just a function and insert in word.
        To industrialize the solution a win32-OLE + perl can make all what i
        said.

        Hope that helps.
        Mathias
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Leonard Rosenthol
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
          At 4:35 PM +0100 11/2/03, Mathias FATENE wrote:
          > >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
          >>> aren't any tools that support what you need.
          >
          >SVG can do it.

          My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
          implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image - only
          the entire image - at least AFAIK...

          Leonard
          Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@...>
          <http://www.lazerware.com>
        • mfatene
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
            Yes Leonard, I agree with you.

            Thanks
            Mathias

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Rosenthol
            <leonardr@l...> wrote:

            > >SVG can do it.
            >
            > My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
            > implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image -
            only
            > the entire image - at least AFAIK...
            >

            > Leonard
            > --
            -------
            > Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@l...>

            <http://www.lazerware.com>
          • Jonathan Chetwynd
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
              Mathias,

              it is as you say a region. see http://www.peepo.co.uk

              for various reasons it is easier to include svg icons, symbols and
              images in a svg file, rather than html.

              However this means that they are then not easily copied to other
              documents (like text in a pdf).

              This is a fundamental error of conception.

              It is vital that group, use or some method is available for copying
              partial files around.
              This functionality is already available in authoring environments such
              as illustrator, but not viewers.

              gif and jpg naturally already provide this. check next post on creative
              commons and icons.

              thanks

              Jonathan Chetwynd
              http://www.peepo.co.uk
              "A web by people with learning difficulties"