[svg-developers] Re: accessibility of SVG: print, copy and paste parts of SVG images

  • Leonard Rosenthol
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2 6:46 AM
      At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
      >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
      >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

      AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
      graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
      currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
      better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

      >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
      >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
      >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
      >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
      >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
      >trying to repurpose.

      That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
      aren't any tools that support what you need.

      >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

      Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

      Leonard
      Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@...>
      <http://www.lazerware.com>
    • Mathias FATENE
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2 7:35 AM
        Hi all,
        >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
        >> aren't any tools that support what you need.

        SVG can do it.
        The problem is that the jonathan demand is not very clear. What do you want
        to paste ?
        A whole document or just nodes ?
        If it is a document copy/paste to another svg document, the solution is very
        easy : getURL and PaprseXML and it is for free.

        if he want copy/paste of a region, this is another question.

        Mathias

        At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
        >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
        >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

        AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
        graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
        currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
        better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

        >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
        >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
        >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
        >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
        >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
        >trying to repurpose.

        That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
        aren't any tools that support what you need.

        >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

        Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

        Leonard

      • mfatene
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2 7:43 AM
          Hi,
          ... continue last mail ...

          And if you're Windows user, inserting the new svg document and
          printing it is done without a problem.

          All that for free, with just a function and insert in word.
          To industrialize the solution a win32-OLE + perl can make all what i
          said.

          Hope that helps.
          Mathias
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Leonard Rosenthol
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2 10:56 AM
            At 4:35 PM +0100 11/2/03, Mathias FATENE wrote:
            > >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
            >>> aren't any tools that support what you need.
            >
            >SVG can do it.

            My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
            implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image - only
            the entire image - at least AFAIK...

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2 11:40 AM
              Yes Leonard, I agree with you.

              Thanks
              Mathias

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Rosenthol
              <leonardr@l...> wrote:

              > >SVG can do it.
              >
              > My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
              > implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image -
              only
              > the entire image - at least AFAIK...
              >

              > Leonard
              > --
              -------
              > Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@l...>

              <http://www.lazerware.com>
            • Jonathan Chetwynd
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2 2:44 PM
                Mathias,

                it is as you say a region. see http://www.peepo.co.uk

                for various reasons it is easier to include svg icons, symbols and
                images in a svg file, rather than html.

                However this means that they are then not easily copied to other
                documents (like text in a pdf).

                This is a fundamental error of conception.

                It is vital that group, use or some method is available for copying
                partial files around.
                This functionality is already available in authoring environments such
                as illustrator, but not viewers.

                gif and jpg naturally already provide this. check next post on creative
                commons and icons.

                thanks

                Jonathan Chetwynd
                http://www.peepo.co.uk
                "A web by people with learning difficulties"