Interactive Mapping Example US population

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hi!

      Here is a mapping example on US population 2000 - ethnic and age structure:

      http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/us_population/

      The example works in ASV3, ASV6, the CSV 2.1 and Batik.

      We have a few issues to address on Batik, but in principle it works.

      This was also my first example I really took care that it works in viewers other
      than ASV. It's not really much work to test it in alternative SVG viewers. I
      would like to encourage other people to test their SVG examples in these viewers
      as well. It's really worth and helps you to improve your SVG/scripting skills as
      well, because sometimes you discover that you did not do it the correct way.
      ASV3 is in many ways too forgiving, when one uses non-standard DOM methods ...

      All the best,
      Andreas

      --
      The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from
      life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe

      Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
      ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
      Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
      e-mail: neumann@...
      www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
      SVG.Open/Carto.net: http://www.svgopen.org/
    • Armin Mueller
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
        Andreas,

        We are working also in testing the upcoming version of MapViewSVG on several
        SVG viewers. So i am very anxious of your impressions.
        I have tested your example on CSV21 on Windows xp german and IE 6. It does
        not run. All the charts are missing. There are several errors in the error
        console such as illegal character, useless expression, etc

        You have also a problem which si for me also a problem. It seems it is not
        possible to suppress zoomandpan. So all AllInOne-Solutions which zoom and
        pan only parts of the map have a problem with CSV. Do you have find a
        solution of this?

        In additional i found, that hyperlinks created with <a>-tag and <xlink> are
        not working when using parsexml. Have you find this also in your tests?

        Regards
        Armin

[...]

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1U_rlB/TM

      • Mike McCullough
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
          Andreas,

          I enjoy nice seeing your state-of-the-art techniques applied to US
          data.
          Yesterday it hung the first time I tried to load it (I ended it
          after about 5 minutes) but it loaded within about a minute when
          trying to run it right after that (with ASV 3.0 and a Pentium 450).
          Maybe some of it gets cached and speeds up the second load.(?) The
          same thing happened when I looked at it again today.

          Mike McCullough

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Andreas Neumann <neumann@k...>
          wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > Here is a mapping example on US population 2000 - ethnic and age
          structure:

          > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/us_population/
          >
          > The example works in ASV3, ASV6, the CSV 2.1 and Batik.
          >
          > We have a few issues to address on Batik, but in principle it works.
          >
          > This was also my first example I really took care that it works in
          viewers other
          > than ASV. It's not really much work to test it in alternative SVG
          viewers. I
          > would like to encourage other people to test their SVG examples in
          these viewers
          > as well. It's really worth and helps you to improve your
          SVG/scripting skills as
          > well, because sometimes you discover that you did not do it the
          correct way.
          > ASV3 is in many ways too forgiving, when one uses non-standard DOM
          methods ...

          > All the best,
          > Andreas
          >
          > --
          > The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from
          > life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe
          > that it is possible ...
          > -- M. DeVos

          > Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
          > Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH)
          > ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
          > Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
          > e-mail: neumann@k...
          > www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
          > SVG.Open/Carto.net: http://www.svgopen.org/
        • neumannandreas
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Armin Mueller" <A.Mueller@u...> wrote:
            > Andreas,
            >
            > We are working also in testing the upcoming version of MapViewSVG on several
            > SVG viewers. So i am very anxious of your impressions.
            > I have tested your example on CSV21 on Windows xp german and IE 6. It does
            > not run. All the charts are missing. There are several errors in the error
            > console such as illegal character, useless expression, etc

            Thanks for the hint - I found the problem. I used a linked external js file
            (pieChart.js.gz) - CSV did not like it when it was compressed.

            This is probably a bug? We'll have to tell Corel about that problem. I changed it to a
            uncompressed js file now and it seems to work in CSV. I only tested my local,
            uncompressed version.

            Everything should be fine now.

            But yes, I still get the messages "useless expression" in the statusbar of th browser. I
            don't know why - all my scripts seem to work ...

            > You have also a problem which si for me also a problem. It seems it is not
            > possible to suppress zoomandpan. So all AllInOne-Solutions which zoom and
            > pan only parts of the map have a problem with CSV. Do you have find a
            > solution of this?

            it works fine for me - again I would check that you really have the newest version.

            > In additional i found, that hyperlinks created with <a>-tag and <xlink> are
            > not working when using parsexml. Have you find this also in your tests?

            Haven't used parseXML so far myself, but I get back if I know an answer. Of course
            you should also tell Corel directly. I don't know if they read all the messages on this
            list ?

            Andreas
          • neumannandreas
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
              > You have also a problem which si for me also a problem. It seems it is not
              > possible to suppress zoomandpan. So all AllInOne-Solutions which zoom and
              > pan only parts of the map have a problem with CSV. Do you have find a
              > solution of this?

              oops - I have to correct my previous statement about the zooming. It does not work
              for CSV at my machine as well. We have to contact them about this issue.

              Sorry for that ...
            • neumannandreas
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                > Yesterday it hung the first time I tried to load it (I ended it
                > after about 5 minutes) but it loaded within about a minute when
                > trying to run it right after that (with ASV 3.0 and a Pentium 450).
                > Maybe some of it gets cached and speeds up the second load.(?) The
                > same thing happened when I looked at it again today.

                hm - I don't know how to replicate this. It did not hang at my machines. It only
                initially takes a while because a lot happens onload (circles, coloring of pathes and
                pieCharts created on the fly)

                I have tested it on a Mac. (fairly recent machine), so I can't compare to a real Windows
                machine, currently. I only have a virtual Windows.

                Anyone out there could test it on a real Windows and tell me, if on his machine it
                hangs as well? Thanks ...

                Andreas
              • Armin Mueller
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Andreas,

                  Ok, charts are now visible.
                  The useless error still exists several times

                  I send the problem with parsexml to corel. Do you know a special contact
                  person at corel? I send it to the support.

                  Bye
                  Armin

                  > You have also a problem which si for me also a problem. It seems it is
                  > not possible to suppress zoomandpan. So all AllInOne-Solutions which
                  > zoom and pan only parts of the map have a problem with CSV. Do you
                  > have find a solution of this?

                  oops - I have to correct my previous statement about the zooming. It does
                  not work
                  for CSV at my machine as well. We have to contact them about this issue.

                  Sorry for that ...

                  http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1U_rlB/TM

                • Barend Köbben
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Works OK on my windows box, both in IE6+ASV3 and in Firebird0.7+ASV6

                    In IE6+ASV3 I get a statusbar message saying "Unrecognized DOCTYPE declaration. Image might not display correctly", but all seems to work;
                    In Firebird+ASV6 the statusbar keeps displaying "Transferring data from www.carto.net..." but again all works;

                    In the BitFlash mobile SVGBasic viewer it doesn't work, but I don't think you'd expect it to...?

                    Bye,
                    ____________________________
                    Barend Köbben
                    International Institute for Geo-information Sciences and Earth Observation (ITC)
                    PO Box 6, 7500AA Enschede (The Netherlands)
                    > Yesterday it hung the first time I tried to load it (I ended it
                    > after about 5 minutes) but it loaded within about a minute when
                    > trying to run it right after that (with ASV 3.0 and a Pentium 450).
                    > Maybe some of it gets cached and speeds up the second load.(?) The
                    > same thing happened when I looked at it again today.

                    hm - I don't know how to replicate this. It did not hang at my machines. It only
                    initially takes a while because a lot happens onload (circles, coloring of pathes and
                    pieCharts created on the fly)

                    I have tested it on a Mac. (fairly recent machine), so I can't compare to a real Windows
                    machine, currently. I only have a virtual Windows.

                    Anyone out there could test it on a real Windows and tell me, if on his machine it
                    hangs as well? Thanks ...

                    Andreas

                    visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"

                  • neumannandreas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2003
                      > In IE6+ASV3 I get a statusbar message saying "Unrecognized DOCTYPE
                      declaration. Image might not display correctly", but all seems to work;

                      this is a known issue. I use the SVG1.1 DOCTYPE, but ASV seems to like
                      only SVG 1.0. This has no effect on the scripts and rendering of SVG.
                      I guess they'll fix it with the next ASV6 beta.

                      > In Firebird+ASV6 the statusbar keeps displaying "Transferring data
                      from www.carto.net..." but again all works;

                      same for me on mac. Does not seem to effect the rendering.

                      > In the BitFlash mobile SVGBasic viewer it doesn't work, but I don't
                      think you'd expect it to...?

                      No, Bitflash does not like CSS and scripting/DOM.

                      Thanks for testing,

                      will have more examples soon. Work on a weather map now ...

                      All the best,
                      Andreas
                    • Barend Köbben
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 4, 2003

                        CSS I agree with, but what exactly are the problems with scripting/DOM? I plan to further use BitFlash, but thusfar all scripting I did seems to work (see http://kartoweb.itc.nl/RIMapper)....
                        ____________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Andreas,

                          I used a stopwatch this time. It took 3 minutes and 40 seconds to
                          load the first time. Right away I closed it and loaded again. The
                          second time took 12 seconds.

                          It is possible that I simply did not wait long enough on my first
                          attempts reported below. In those instances, I used Ctrl-Alt-Del and
                          saw a 'Not Responding' message. That length of wait is certainly
                          long enough for the average web user to lose patience.

                          I'm using Win 98, Pentium 450 mhz, cable modem, ASV 3.0.

                          Mike McCullough

                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "neumannandreas"
                          <neumann@k...> wrote:
                          > > Yesterday it hung the first time I tried to load it (I ended
                          it
                          > > after about 5 minutes) but it loaded within about a minute when
                          > > trying to run it right after that (with ASV 3.0 and a Pentium
                          450).
                          > > Maybe some of it gets cached and speeds up the second load.(?)
                          The
                          > > same thing happened when I looked at it again today.
                          >
                          > hm - I don't know how to replicate this. It did not hang at my
                          machines. It only
                          > initially takes a while because a lot happens onload (circles,
                          coloring of pathes and
                          > pieCharts created on the fly)
                          >
                          > I have tested it on a Mac. (fairly recent machine), so I can't
                          compare to a real Windows
                          > machine, currently. I only have a virtual Windows.
                          >
                          > Anyone out there could test it on a real Windows and tell me, if on
                          his machine it
                          > hangs as well? Thanks ...
                          >
                          > Andreas
                        • neumannandreas
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 4, 2003
                            > It is possible that I simply did not wait long enough on my first
                            > attempts reported below. In those instances, I used Ctrl-Alt-Del and
                            > saw a 'Not Responding' message. That length of wait is certainly
                            > long enough for the average web user to lose patience.

                            hm - seems like something is screwed up with your Adobe SVG
                            installation or the network connection is very slow.

                            The example is only 101 kb in size, with a 200k jpeg image for the
                            relief-shading.

                            On my Macintosh it loads in a few seconds, and even within my
                            VirtualPC (which is in CPU speed about a 300-500 Mhz Pentium) it loads
                            in under 30 seconds across the network.

                            I heard from othe people that it loads fine. It really seems like you
                            have a problem with ASV? Can you load other people examples just fine?
                            Or is it a problem of limited memory on your machine?

                            you are right - 3 minutes is too long!

                            Thanks for getting back on that,
                            Andreas
                          • Mike McCullough
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                              Andreas,

                              I retested loading the US Population map twice -- and had no
                              problem this time. 3 seconds the first time. Then I removed it from
                              the Internet cache thinking that's why it loaded quickly. But it also
                              loaded in about 3 seconds.
                              Yes, I have had problems as noted loading other SVG documents.
                              Prior to retesting the map, I went to www.svgopen.org (where I've had
                              problems before). It took 4 minutes and 4 seconds to load. I closed
                              it and reloaded. It took about 3 seconds.
                              For the sake of SVG at this point, I hope my erratic experiences
                              are mine alone or that I'm in a distinct minority.

                              Mike