RE: [svg-developers] accessibility of SVG: print, copy and paste parts of SVG images

  • Mathias FATENE
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
      No idea about the price, neighterthe features, but InsightPoint by Icytec
      seems to answer.
      http://www.icytec.com/

      Mathias

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
        Mathias,

        My request was not well phrased:
        I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
        allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

        even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
        request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
        problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
        print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
        which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
        trying to repurpose. In other words not much different to PDF for
        print, a nightmare.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
          Do you mean copy all the svg file all just a part (i understand that when
          you speak abour <use>) ?
          Something which copy also the corresponding part of ecmascript, javascript
          ... ?

          What kind of svg content you have ? I mean clipping can help in some
          situations. visibility also.

          Mathias

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
            At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
            >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
            >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

            AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
            graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
            currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
            better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

            >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
            >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
            >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
            >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
            >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
            >trying to repurpose.

            That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
            aren't any tools that support what you need.

            >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

            Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

            Leonard
            Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@...>
            <http://www.lazerware.com>
          • Mathias FATENE
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
              Hi all,
              >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
              >> aren't any tools that support what you need.

              SVG can do it.
              The problem is that the jonathan demand is not very clear. What do you want
              to paste ?
              A whole document or just nodes ?
              If it is a document copy/paste to another svg document, the solution is very
              easy : getURL and PaprseXML and it is for free.

              if he want copy/paste of a region, this is another question.

              Mathias

              At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
              >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
              >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

              AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
              graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
              currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
              better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

              >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
              >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
              >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
              >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
              >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
              >trying to repurpose.

              That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
              aren't any tools that support what you need.

              >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

              Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

              Leonard

            • mfatene
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                ... continue last mail ...

                And if you're Windows user, inserting the new svg document and
                printing it is done without a problem.

                All that for free, with just a function and insert in word.
                To industrialize the solution a win32-OLE + perl can make all what i
                said.

                Hope that helps.
                Mathias
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Leonard Rosenthol
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                  At 4:35 PM +0100 11/2/03, Mathias FATENE wrote:
                  > >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
                  >>> aren't any tools that support what you need.
                  >
                  >SVG can do it.

                  My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
                  implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image - only
                  the entire image - at least AFAIK...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                    Yes Leonard, I agree with you.

                    Thanks
                    Mathias

                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Rosenthol
                    <leonardr@l...> wrote:

                    > >SVG can do it.
                    >
                    > My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
                    > implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image -
                    only
                    > the entire image - at least AFAIK...
                    >

                    > Leonard
                    > --
                    -------
                    > Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@l...>

                    <http://www.lazerware.com>
                  • Jonathan Chetwynd
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                      Mathias,

                      it is as you say a region. see http://www.peepo.co.uk

                      for various reasons it is easier to include svg icons, symbols and
                      images in a svg file, rather than html.

                      However this means that they are then not easily copied to other
                      documents (like text in a pdf).

                      This is a fundamental error of conception.

                      It is vital that group, use or some method is available for copying
                      partial files around.
                      This functionality is already available in authoring environments such
                      as illustrator, but not viewers.

                      gif and jpg naturally already provide this. check next post on creative
                      commons and icons.