accessibility of SVG: print, copy and paste parts of SVG images

  • Jonathan Chetwynd
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
      Has anyone come up with a solution to enable parts of SVG images to be
      copied and pasted from a browser?
      <use> could possibly be the appropriate size of a part.
      a guideline or proposal would be fine, if that's where we are at.

      http://www.peepo.co.uk is one example, where this is needed.
      it is essential that users be able to use the graphics as part of other
      projects, for instance to create worksheets that enable other users to
      navigate to a resource, by matching graphics.....

      illustrator 10 seriously damages code, but kinda offers this
      flexibility, for whole images, as does amaya....

      anyone know of a cheap or free 'simple' text editing program that
      allows insertion of SVG graphics? had thought openOffice supported
      this, but version 1.1.0 currently on pc doesn't seem to.

      thanks

      Jonathan Chetwynd
      http://www.peepo.co.uk
      "A web by people with learning difficulties"
    • Mathias FATENE
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
        No idea about the price, neighterthe features, but InsightPoint by Icytec
        seems to answer.
        http://www.icytec.com/

        Mathias

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
          Mathias,

          My request was not well phrased:
          I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
          allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

          even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
          request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
          problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
          print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
          which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
          trying to repurpose. In other words not much different to PDF for
          print, a nightmare.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
            Do you mean copy all the svg file all just a part (i understand that when
            you speak abour <use>) ?
            Something which copy also the corresponding part of ecmascript, javascript
            ... ?

            What kind of svg content you have ? I mean clipping can help in some
            situations. visibility also.

            Mathias

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
              At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
              >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
              >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

              AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
              graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
              currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
              better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

              >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
              >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
              >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
              >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
              >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
              >trying to repurpose.

              That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
              aren't any tools that support what you need.

              >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

              Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

              Leonard
              Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@...>
              <http://www.lazerware.com>
            • Mathias FATENE
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                Hi all,
                >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
                >> aren't any tools that support what you need.

                SVG can do it.
                The problem is that the jonathan demand is not very clear. What do you want
                to paste ?
                A whole document or just nodes ?
                If it is a document copy/paste to another svg document, the solution is very
                easy : getURL and PaprseXML and it is for free.

                if he want copy/paste of a region, this is another question.

                Mathias

                At 9:54 PM +0000 11/1/03, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
                >I'm looking for a cheap or 'free' word processing application, that
                >allows SVG to be pasted, $279 hardly qualifies.

                AbiWord - http://www.abiword.com supports inclusion of SVG
                graphics when the appropriate plugins are installed. NOTE: it
                currently rasterizes the SVG (to PNG) when it is placed, BUT that's
                better than doing nothing with it (which is what everyone else does0.

                >even more problematical is that you've completely ignored the first
                >request, a means to copy part of an SVG document. <use> is
                >problematical, unless the browser provides a means to copy, paste and
                >print independently. Otherwise, we provide a whole encyclopaedia, from
                >which nothing can be extracted, which becomes a significant hurdle when
                >trying to repurpose.

                That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
                aren't any tools that support what you need.

                >In other words not much different to PDF for print, a nightmare.

                Huh? What is wrong with PDF for the scenario you mention?

                Leonard

              • mfatene
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                  ... continue last mail ...

                  And if you're Windows user, inserting the new svg document and
                  printing it is done without a problem.

                  All that for free, with just a function and insert in word.
                  To industrialize the solution a win32-OLE + perl can make all what i
                  said.

                  Hope that helps.
                  Mathias
                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mathias FATENE"

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Leonard Rosenthol
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                    At 4:35 PM +0100 11/2/03, Mathias FATENE wrote:
                    > >> That's a browser/plugin/tool issue. Currently, AFAIK, there
                    >>> aren't any tools that support what you need.
                    >
                    >SVG can do it.

                    My point was that none of the current SVG viewing
                    implementations allow for extracting of a PORTION of the image - only
                    the entire image - at least AFAIK...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                      Yes Leonard, I agree with you.

                      Thanks
                      Mathias

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Rosenthol

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                        Mathias,

                        it is as you say a region. see http://www.peepo.co.uk

                        for various reasons it is easier to include svg icons, symbols and
                        images in a svg file, rather than html.

                        However this means that they are then not easily copied to other
                        documents (like text in a pdf).

                        This is a fundamental error of conception.

                        It is vital that group, use or some method is available for copying
                        partial files around.
                        This functionality is already available in authoring environments such
                        as illustrator, but not viewers.

                        gif and jpg naturally already provide this. check next post on creative
                        commons and icons.