a question about the other SVG developers on the list

  • Harrell, Wade
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2000
      I am curious if anyone else was previously working in DHTML. Essentially
      DHTML is just a term used to describe using JavaScript, CSS, and knowing the
      DOM but as far as the web industry goes it was a marketable job niche. Up
      until SVG dropped in my lap my specialty was highly dynamic and interactive
      client-side code. Although many clients were hesitant to use things that
      fell under the DHTML umbrella because of severe browser incompatibility.

      The reason I ask this is because I feel SVG is the pinnacle of where the
      DHTML concept was going. Layers and Styles and Event capture all seem a bit
      half baked with current browsers and HTML. On the other hand, SVG is
      exactly what DHTML wants to be. My previous experience using JavaScript to
      wrestle with the DOM variations of IE/NN on PC/Mac has transitioned nicely
      into SVG. With SVG I can confidently say if certain functionality is
      possible just based on knowing the DOM. Even better, the DOM implementation
      is so complete that I can finally have the freedom to access every component
      of the page I want. SVG is very exciting! I am interested to see if others
      are having a similar experience based on their previous experience.

      Wade Harrell * Sr Content Engineer
      Iguana Studios Inc * 16 W 19th * 10th Floor * New York, NY 10011 - 4205 *
      http://www.iguanastudios.com
      Latitude: 40.739145 (40° 44' 20" N) * Longitude: -73.992089 (73° 59' 31"
      W)
      wade@... * vox:212.209.1380 * fax:212.243.6506