Re: [svg-developers] Plugin Patent to Mean Changes in IE?...SVGs time to shine!!!

  • Robin Berjon
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2003
      Dean Jackson wrote:
      >>I just wanted developers to now this information and interested in
      >>any comments the SVG developers may have....if any W3 members would
      >>like to say something....on or off the record....that would be great
      >>too
      >
      > This patent case may have a huge impact on the web, or it may not.
      > It's too early to tell. There are a few people that are saying this is
      > a good opportunity to throw out plugins and work towards a mixed
      > namespace browsing environment. I think that is a valid direction but
      > my first choice would be: no stupid patents on Web technologies.

      No stupid patents on anything is obviously a good choice. But I don't think we
      have to chose :) Imho if this kills plugins *and* makes the heavyweights out
      there realise that patent litigation is a business model that small fish can
      participate in as well simply by finding investors, then I will consider the
      outcome of this ridiculous trial to have been largely positive ;)

      No plugins, no applets... ah, one can dream no?

      --
      Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@...>
      Research Engineer, Expway http://expway.fr/