question on matrix.inverse()

  • Marcel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
      Hi all,

      I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
      I checked the script at

      http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg

      For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
      Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it is
      explained.

      Many thanks

      Marcel
    • pilatfr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <Marcel.Sauer@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
        > I checked the script at
        >
        > http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg
        >
        > For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
        > Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it is
        > explained.

        As I am concerned ...
        Use inverse of matrix or this script?
        For inverse matrix, shortly, you have coordinates system in viewBox,
        say 50 and 20, when user agent draw svg in a window, these window
        has coordinates system and it's not same. getScreenCTM return matrix
        used to calculate coordinates in window (there is scale - uniform
        with preserveAspectRatio different from none - and a translation)
        matrix can be by example
        1.2 0 50
        0 1.2 40
        So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
        This script calculate coordinates in viewBox from screenX and
        screenY coordinates in window. So we have to use inverse of matrix
        returned.
        This script will be more elegant using SVGPoint (matrix 2x1) in
        place of x and y ...
        This coordinates are very useful to script, if you drag object you
        have to give it coordinates in viewBox and not in window ...

        Michel

        PS I can answer more if you mail me offlist
      • Marcel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
          hi Michel,

          > As I am concerned ...
          > Use inverse of matrix or this script?

          Hm, I didn´t mean the script. I meant the inverse.

          > So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...

          Where do you get these values ?

          > So we have to use inverse of matrix
          > returned.

          And why the inverse and not the "normal" ?

          Thanks a lot

          Marcel

          PS: In my opinion it´s difficult to deal with the coordinates and so
          on :-(

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "pilatfr" <pilat@w...> wrote:
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <Marcel.Sauer@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
          > > I checked the script at
          > >
          > > http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg
          > >
          > > For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
          > > Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it
          is
          > > explained.
          >
          > As I am concerned ...
          > Use inverse of matrix or this script?
          > For inverse matrix, shortly, you have coordinates system in
          viewBox,
          > say 50 and 20, when user agent draw svg in a window, these window
          > has coordinates system and it's not same. getScreenCTM return
          matrix
          > used to calculate coordinates in window (there is scale - uniform
          > with preserveAspectRatio different from none - and a translation)
          > matrix can be by example
          > 1.2 0 50
          > 0 1.2 40
          > So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
          > This script calculate coordinates in viewBox from screenX and
          > screenY coordinates in window. So we have to use inverse of matrix
          > returned.
          > This script will be more elegant using SVGPoint (matrix 2x1) in
          > place of x and y ...
          > This coordinates are very useful to script, if you drag object you
          > have to give it coordinates in viewBox and not in window ...
          >
          > Michel
          >
          > PS I can answer more if you mail me offlist
        • Vasu
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
            Hi there

            When i view http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg file in my browser i
            am getting the following error

            “Object does not support this property or method line 4 column 2”

            what is wrong here?

            Thanks
            vasu

            > I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
            > I checked the script at
            >
            > http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg
            >
            > For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
            > Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it is
            > explained.

            As I am concerned ...
            Use inverse of matrix or this script?
            For inverse matrix, shortly, you have coordinates system in viewBox,
            say 50 and 20, when user agent draw svg in a window, these window
            has coordinates system and it's not same. getScreenCTM return matrix
            used to calculate coordinates in window (there is scale - uniform
            with preserveAspectRatio different from none - and a translation)
            matrix can be by example
            1.2 0 50
            0 1.2 40
            So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
            This script calculate coordinates in viewBox from screenX and
            screenY coordinates in window. So we have to use inverse of matrix
            returned.
            This script will be more elegant using SVGPoint (matrix 2x1) in
            place of x and y ...
            This coordinates are very useful to script, if you drag object you
            have to give it coordinates in viewBox and not in window ...

            Michel

            PS I can answer more if you mail me offlist

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
            030389:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/aut
            oredir?camp=556&lineid=3512844∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=321574338>

            -----
            To unsubscribe send a message to:

          • pilatfr
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
              wrote:

              > > So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
              >
              > Where do you get these values ?

              With this matrix

              1.2 0 50
              0 1.2 40

              We calculate 1.2 * 50 + 0 * 20 + 50 and get 110
              0 * 50 + 1.2 * 20 + 40 get 64

              > > So we have to use inverse of matrix
              > > returned.
              >
              > And why the inverse and not the "normal" ?

              The matrix calculate from viewBox to window
              inverse matrix calculate from window to viewBox

              > PS: In my opinion it´s difficult to deal with the coordinates and
              so on :-(

              Some publicity, the chapter of learn SVG about this problem is on
              line at
              http://www.perfectxml.com/LearnSVG.asp
              ( Stefan Goessner's work )

              Michel
            • Chris Peto
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
                Hi,

                Probably because you are viewing it with ASV3.

                Mit freundlichen Grusen/Regards
                Chris Peto
                Freelance System Development
                ------------------------------------
                Resource Solutions
                Hohenweg 34
                63303 Dreieich - Gotzenhain
                Germany
                Mobile: +49 (0) 173 308 7843
                Tel:+49(0) 6103 80 21 98
                Web: http://www.resource-solutions.de
                mailto:CPeto@...
                ------------------------------------
                Member of: SPARK - SVG Programmers' Application Resource Kit
                http://www.schemasoft.org/

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
                  Hi chris

                  I have downloaded ASV6 from the following link

                  <http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/beta.html>
                  http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/beta.html

                  The installation was successful, but when i try to view any SVG file
                  specific to ASV6 version it is generating errors. The error message
                  either says "Object does not support this property or method" or "Object
                  is required" and i am not able to do anything in the browser window. Did
                  i miss to install some additional software or have i installed the
                  correct version of the plugin?

                  Thanks for you help
                  vasu

                  > I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
                  > I checked the script at
                  >
                  > http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg
                  >
                  > For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
                  > Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it is
                  > explained.

                  As I am concerned ...
                  Use inverse of matrix or this script?
                  For inverse matrix, shortly, you have coordinates system in viewBox,
                  say 50 and 20, when user agent draw svg in a window, these window
                  has coordinates system and it's not same. getScreenCTM return matrix
                  used to calculate coordinates in window (there is scale - uniform
                  with preserveAspectRatio different from none - and a translation)
                  matrix can be by example
                  1.2 0 50
                  0 1.2 40
                  So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
                  This script calculate coordinates in viewBox from screenX and
                  screenY coordinates in window. So we have to use inverse of matrix
                  returned.
                  This script will be more elegant using SVGPoint (matrix 2x1) in
                  place of x and y ...
                  This coordinates are very useful to script, if you drag object you
                  have to give it coordinates in viewBox and not in window ...

                  Michel

                  PS I can answer more if you mail me offlist

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706

                  030389:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/aut
                  oredir?camp=556&lineid=3512844∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=321574338>

                  -----
                  To unsubscribe send a message to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  To unsubscribe send a message to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
                  030389:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http:/www.ediets.com/start.cfm?co
                  de=30504&media=atkins> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1663535/rand=161339516>

                  -----
                  To unsubscribe send a message to:

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Chris Peto

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
                      Chris

                      I have renamed this thead to “problems viewing ASV6 files” as i
                      thought it was proper on my part to hijack the thread marcel had started
                      … please could you help me on that thread.

                      Thanks
                      vasu

                      > I have read several scripts that use the inverse of a matrix.
                      > I checked the script at
                      >
                      > http://pilat.free.fr/asv6/script2.svg
                      >
                      > For what can I use it ? I don´t understand this correctly :-(
                      > Maybe someone can explain this to me or give me a link where it is
                      > explained.

                      As I am concerned ...
                      Use inverse of matrix or this script?
                      For inverse matrix, shortly, you have coordinates system in viewBox,
                      say 50 and 20, when user agent draw svg in a window, these window
                      has coordinates system and it's not same. getScreenCTM return matrix
                      used to calculate coordinates in window (there is scale - uniform
                      with preserveAspectRatio different from none - and a translation)
                      matrix can be by example
                      1.2 0 50
                      0 1.2 40
                      So coordinates in window are 110 and 64 ...
                      This script calculate coordinates in viewBox from screenX and
                      screenY coordinates in window. So we have to use inverse of matrix
                      returned.
                      This script will be more elegant using SVGPoint (matrix 2x1) in
                      place of x and y ...
                      This coordinates are very useful to script, if you drag object you
                      have to give it coordinates in viewBox and not in window ...

                      Michel

                      PS I can answer more if you mail me offlist

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706

                      030389:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/aut
                      oredir?camp=556&lineid=3512844∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=321574338>

                      -----
                      To unsubscribe send a message to:
                      visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit
                      my

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

[...]

                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1663535/rand=115312171>

                      -----

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 17, 2003
                        hi michel,

                        thanks for your answers. I have to check the link you provided.

                        Marcel