[ASV] Communicating between multiple instances of the plugin

  • patphilippot
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003

      I have been told that directly communicating between two instances of
      the ASV plugin is possible since version 3.0. This would be
      interesting because this would make communicating with the browser
      unnecessary in many cases.

      However, I could not find any documentation or sample code about this
      feature.

      Thanks in advance for any pointer.

      --Patrick Philippot
    • Kevin Lindsey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
        Hey Patrick,

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "patphilippot"
        <patphilippot@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been told that directly communicating between two instances
        of
        > the ASV plugin is possible since version 3.0. This would be
        > interesting because this would make communicating with the browser
        > unnecessary in many cases.
        >
        > However, I could not find any documentation or sample code about
        this
        > feature.

        If you haven't received an example, please let me know. I have an old
        (simple) example that shows findInstanceByName() working between two
        frames in a frameset. That may be enough to get you started.

        Take care,
        Kevin
        KevLinDev - http://www.kevlindev.com
      • andre m. winter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
          hi,

          here is an svg-instances example:

          http://tirolatlas2.uibk.ac.at/svg/sources/frames_and_embeds/intstances_asv3-specific/svgInstanceCommunication.html

          please note that this is adobe-specific!

          it's not my work, i got it in the early days of grabbing code samples
          and then i didn't write down origins and athors :-(

          andré

          patphilippot wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >I have been told that directly communicating between two instances of
          >the ASV plugin is possible since version 3.0. This would be
          >interesting because this would make communicating with the browser
          >unnecessary in many cases.
          >
          >However, I could not find any documentation or sample code about this
          >feature.
          >
          >Thanks in advance for any pointer.
          >
          >--Patrick Philippot
          >

          >-----
          >-or-
          >visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
          >----

        • patphilippot
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "andre m. winter"
            <andre.winter@u...> wrote:

            http://tirolatlas2.uibk.ac.at/svg/sources/frames_and_embeds/intstances
            _asv3-specific/svgInstanceCommunication.html

            Thanks very much, André.

            --Patrick Philippot
          • patphilippot
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@k...>
              wrote:
              > If you haven't received an example, please let me know.
              > I have an old (simple) example that shows findInstanceByName()
              > working between two frames in a frameset. That may be enough to
              > get you started.

              Thanks Kevin. André mentioned a working example at
              http://tirolatlas2.uibk.ac.at/svg/sources/frames_and_embeds/intstances
              _asv3-specific/svgInstanceCommunication.html

              Actually, I was not aware of the existence of findInstanceByName().
              It seems that all the interesting documentation about ASV is
              available at SVG-Wiki ( http://www.protocol7.com/svg-wiki/ow.asp?
              AdobeExtensions in this case ) and not from Adobe's site. There's
              something strange here. I have already asked about this but is it
              possible that I missed an official document clearly documenting the
              ASV specific features?

              Thanks again.

              --Patrick Philippot
            • patphilippot
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
                <patphilippot@y...> wrote:
                > Actually, I was not aware of the existence of findInstanceByName().
                > It seems that all the interesting documentation about ASV is
                > available at SVG-Wiki

                And at KevLinDev, of course :-))

                > --Patrick Philippot
              • patphilippot
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
                  <andre.winter@u...> wrote:
                  > hi,
                  >
                  > here is an svg-instances example:

                  http://tirolatlas2.uibk.ac.at/svg/sources/frames_and_embeds/intstances
                  _asv3-specific/svgInstanceCommunication.html

                  The sample works fine as long as the two plugin instances are in two
                  frames that are within the same browser window. However, I quickly
                  setup two svg documents (based on the same code) loaded in different
                  browser windows (different instances of IE) and the call doesn't get
                  through. That is, the other instance is not found.

                  --Patrick Philippot