Re: [svg-developers] Corel Smart Graphics Studio: what do you think?

  • Rick Bullotta
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
      It is also important to note that Smart Graphics is not intended to be the exclusive or even primary drawing/authoring environment for your SVG Graphics. This is where Corel Draw and Designer are targeted. Rather, it is intended to "bring the SVG to life" by adding UI controls, dynamic behaviors, and data-driven behaviors.

      ---- svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Russell,
      >
      > I've received a review copy of Smart Graphics from Corel. I'm still trying
      > to understand it all -- it's a very rich platform, but it is also
      > extraordinarily complex. I hope to have a review of it
      > for builder.com within a few days, and will forward it to the group.
      >
      > -- Kurt

    • Ronan Oger
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
        Don't you need the Smart Graphics Server to generate the smart (data-driven)
        graphics?

        The Smart Graphics Server specification says that it requires a MS IIS
        webserver. This may be a problem for many people unable or unwilling to
        purchase MS products for their core web infrastructure.

        Ronan

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Rick Bullotta
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
          Currently, yes, I believe it requires IIS, but it is my understanding that this may change in the future. I'll let the Corel folks give the official response...

        • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
            Rick.Bullotta@... writes:

            > Currently, yes, I believe it requires IIS, but it is my understanding that
            > this may change in the future. I'll let the Corel folks give the official
            > response...
            >
            > ---- svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > >Don't you need the Smart Graphics Server to generate the smart
            > (data-driven)
            > >graphics?
            > >
            > >The Smart Graphics Server specification says that it requires a MS IIS
            > >webserver. This may be a problem for many people unable or unwilling to
            > >purchase MS products for their core web infrastructure.
            > >
            > >Ronan

            Rick,

            There is a previous Corel public response from Shane Aulenback in response to
            a question about the IIS only issue:
            "At this time, IIS is the only supported server
            environment for Server SG. However, we are performing internal trials in
            preparation for additional support of other environments in future releases.

            If you would like to tell us your particular server deployment
            configuration, we could compare this against current testing requirements
            and provide you a more detailed answer on your specific problem.

            Thank you for the interest in Corel Smart Graphics Studio.

            Shane
            Director of Development - Corel Corp."

            The quoted material was posted on the SmartGraphics newsgroup on 5th May
            2003.

            Andrew Watt

          • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
              rchaffin@... writes:

              > Has anyone downloaded and used Corel's new IDE called Smart Graphics
              > Studio?

              Russ,

              It's been a few months now since I first used SG Studio.

              > What do you think about this product?

              SG Studio is a useful tool. In my view it's the best tool currently publicly
              available for creating SVG which is "data driven". It's certainly the best
              tool that I have seen.

              It's designed to make SVG accessible to those who aren't necessarily fully up
              to speed with all of SVG 1.0. And, in my view, it does a good job of that.

              Being a novice in the > SVG world, I'm seriously thinking of buying this
              > product if it helps
              > me to learn and develop SVG applications faster.

              It's probably quite a useful tool to help you learn SVG, although it isn't
              primarily designed as a learning tool. When you add a new SVG element in the
              Document Tree, for example, you can see the commonly used attributes for that
              element in the Attributes window. That can quickly give you a good feel for the
              basic characteristics of the commonly used SVG elements. If you want a complete
              list of attributes for an element then you can toggle that view on in the
              Attribute window too.

              It has a basic but decent code editor. Personally I would like code
              highlighting of errors in the code editor, which isn't there in version 1.0. But the
              code that SG Studio produces for simple graphics is very clean. I would also
              like to see, in version 2.0, a tabbed interface to the viewer and the code
              editor, like the interface in Jasc's WebDraw. I find that a really helpful way to
              work. The collapsible Code Editor isn't bad, but not quite so elegant in my
              view.

              There are a few bugs in SG Studio, which impact when you hand code. For
              example, if you add style to a <text> element in the Code Editor then the text is
              displayed correctly but the Attributes window doesn't update.

              In my experience SG Studio is stable. I haven't experienced any crashes.

              SG Studio doesn't cover all of SVG - only those parts that seemed to Corel
              most likely to be useful to dynamic data-driven graphics. [If somebody added
              more of SVG than I realised was in there, then I apologise. :) ]

              As someone else mentioned in another reply to your question you might not
              want to use SG Studio to create all your SVG. You might use CorelDraw 11 or a CAD
              package or (soon) Visio 2003 or whatever to produce the SVG diagram(s). Then
              use SG Studio to add the dynamic stuff and the data driven stuff afterwards.

              The help files for SG Studio are, in my view, pretty good. There are also
              quite a number of tutorials etc online which you can download. So if you work
              through all that material it will give you a pretty healthy start.

              I found the Process Builder took a bit of getting used to when I first saw
              it. But if you are using it regularly it begins to become second nature.

              There is also a newsgroup for users of SG Studio.
              news server: cnews.corel.com (I hope I remembered it correctly)
              newsgroup: corel.enterprise.smartgraphics

              I don't think the newsgroup has been publicly announced yet but quite a few
              Corel staff have already posted responses to questions posted there, so you
              should be able to get good support there, I expect.

              Does anyone have any > valid reason why I shouldn't? (besides being a
              > windows-only platform)

              I don't know of any reason why you should avoid buying SG Studio. That
              assumes that you have already made a decision to use SVG which is dynamic and data
              driven. Yes, most/all of what SG Studio does *can* be hand coded. SG Studio
              makes the whole process less demanding for those developers who are not already
              familiar with SVG, JavaScript and data access.

              I hope that helps.

              Andrew Watt

              > Thanks for your input!
              >
              > Russ Chaffin
              > Regional Web Manager
              > USDA Forest Service, Southern Region
              > Atlanta, GA

            • neumannandreas
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                To be honest - I did not have enough time yet to give it a thourough
                testing.

                But it seems very promising. Esp. issues like the complex GUI-elements
                are very interesting (selection lists, sliders, etc.) - Also the
                concepts of the query builder seem to be very powerful.

                While this tool is of course not aimed at designers (CorelDRAW,
                Designer or Adobe Illustrator help for that), it looks very useful to
                design and implement SVG based webservices.

                When they presented a first, rough prototype at last year's SVG.Open
                conference in Zurich, I thought - yes, this is the tool that would
                help experienced SVG developers to speed up their development. And it
                still looks like that.

                I am thinking about buying it and using it for teaching at our
                institute.

                I only hope that they will better integrate with Linux/Unix, Apache,
                MySQL/PostgreSQL and Perl/PHP in the future. This is the
                infrastructure that about two thirds of the webservers in the world
                have at hand. I hope Corel won't ignore that fact. But yes, supporting
                .net is not bad either, .net/c# seems to be an elegant platform, even
                more if it will be available on Linux with the Mono project.

                Andreas

                PS: I will give more feedback on Corel Smart Graphics, after I have
                more experience working with it.

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Chaffin" <rchaffin@m..
                .> wrote:
                > Has anyone downloaded and used Corel's new IDE called Smart Graphics
                > Studio? What do you think about this product? Being a novice in the
                > SVG world, I'm seriously thinking of buying this product if it helps
                > me to learn and develop SVG applications faster. Does anyone have
                any
                > valid reason why I shouldn't? (besides being a windows-only
                platform)

                > Thanks for your input!
                >
                > Russ Chaffin
                > Regional Web Manager
                > USDA Forest Service, Southern Region
                > Atlanta, GA
              • rjwilliam2000
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Re the Server (from Corel),

                  The Smart Graphics Platform is actually completely open so we do not
                  force anyone to deploy any of the parts they don't deem core to thier
                  enterprise/government IT goals.

                  Briefly
                  -Any viewer will do. All of the dSVG elements have been tested in
                  ASV and CSV. If you want one point of tech support then our viewer
                  is a better choice.
                  -Any environment for producing native SVG assets will do (just be
                  careful of proprietary elements introduced into the SVG OR cut them
                  out in notepad)
                  -Corel Developer SG outputs 2 XSLT files and an assembly file. So,
                  if you are able to set the inputs up in any environment then you can
                  deploy on the server of your choice. I would be happy to get anyone
                  in touch with our support to learn how to do this.
                  - The only part that you will not be able to take advantage of is
                  Process Builder. This component will reduce your time and effort
                  versus writing ASP by tenfold at a minimum. However, for those who
                  want to code - code away!

                  AND finally, please feel free to contact me directly at any time. I
                  cannot discuss product plans (including server platforms) under
                  development. We may already support the server you want to deploy to
                  but are not yet ready to release it commercially.

                  Thanks,
                  -Rob Williamson
                  Product Manager, Corel Smart Graphics Studio
                  613-728-0826x1960

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Ronan Oger" <ronan@r...>

                • Robin Berjon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                    rjwilliam2000 wrote:
                    > Re the Server (from Corel),
                    >
                    > Briefly
                    > -Corel Developer SG outputs 2 XSLT files and an assembly file. So,
                    > if you are able to set the inputs up in any environment then you can
                    > deploy on the server of your choice. I would be happy to get anyone
                    > in touch with our support to learn how to do this.

                    How complex is the assembly file? You make it sound like it would be trivial to
                    make SG work in AxKit (and I guess Cocoon, though it's quite a bit less flexible).

                    > - The only part that you will not be able to take advantage of is
                    > Process Builder. This component will reduce your time and effort
                    > versus writing ASP by tenfold at a minimum.

                    Cool, but then what would not? ;)

                    --
                    Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@...>
                    Research Engineer, Expway http://expway.fr/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Yes, of course. I'm thinking of investing in CorelDRAW as opposed to
                      purchasing Illustrator. I currently and older version of Freehand.
                      Most of the reviews I've read seem to indicate that CorelDraw is more
                      user-friendly and intuitive to use than Adobe's or Macromedia's
                      product. And it also seems that CorelDRAW 11 has more support for SVG
                      format than Freehand (maybe at least for now).

                      Corel seems to be betting their future on XML-based applications like
                      SVG, so I would expect rather strong support for their SVG products,
                      especially since they now have the lead in developing this IDE.

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bullotta