ASV 3.0 and Acrobat Reader 5?

  • Patrick Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2003
      Does anyone know if Adobe's SVG Viewer 3.0 shipped with Acrobat Reader 5.0?

      If so, when did that bundling begin?

      From from reading through the archives and various adobe announcement, it
      appears that ASV 2.0 shipped with acroread 5 starting in 04/2001.

      But I can't tell if ASV 3.0 was bundled with it after its release in
      11/2001.

      thanks,
      Patrick
    • reto00dz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2003
        Hi

        The adobe Acrobate Reader 6 is now out and can been downloaded by
        Adobe.
        But I don't know wath's with ASV3 I see there is ImageViewer in it
        but is this the ASV or will the ASV4 plug in come next? Maybe at SVG
        open?

        A lot of open questions...

        Regards

        Reto

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Smith"
        <joehumanist@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know if Adobe's SVG Viewer 3.0 shipped with Acrobat
        Reader 5.0?

        > If so, when did that bundling begin?
        >
        > From from reading through the archives and various adobe
        announcement, it
        > appears that ASV 2.0 shipped with acroread 5 starting in 04/2001.
        >
        > But I can't tell if ASV 3.0 was bundled with it after its release in
        > 11/2001.
        >
        > thanks,
        > Patrick
      • Ronan Oger
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2003
          Hi all,

          I was on a laptop in a computer store in Zurich last week that happened to
          be connected to the net. So I gave an SVG site a try and found that out of
          the box, it had the Acrobat SVG 2 plugin (presumably bundled with Acrobat
          Reader).

          On the one hand we can say that it's a good thing that OEM machines are
          coming out pre-bundled with ASV2. But then again, it really is a shame that
          it is version 2. I would hate SVG to get into the same problems that HTML
          has gotten itself into, with a diasopra of partly compatible clients which
          require the webservers to accomidate 3-4 flavours of the same client.

          Ronan

        • Jon Ferraiolo
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2003
            Adobe Reader 6.0 [fka Adobe Acrobat Reader] includes an update to the
            ImageViewer technology, mainly consisting of updates for compatibility with
            changes to Acrobat APIs plus assorted bug fixes and performance
            improvements (i.e., over the ImageViewer that was included in Reader 5.1).
            As most people are aware, the ImageViewer technology allows the Adobe
            Reader to play SVG multimedia fullscreen slideshows if the PDF file is
            constructed in the appropriate way. Adobe Photoshop Album is the first
            product which generates these PDF+SVG documents (electronic Albums).

            Just like ImageViewer for Reader 5.1, this update only runs inside of
            Acrobat. It doesn't run in Web browsers. The most current release of
            Adobe's SVG browser plugin is ASV3.

            It is against Adobe policy to talk about our future product plans. However,
            I have dropped various hints on this mailing list about the possibility of
            future releases of Adobe's SVG technology that might run both inside
            Acrobat and inside browsers directly. I also want to point out that Adobe
            is aware of the following words: Linux, Safari, and Mozilla. I'll also drop
            the hint that the ImageViewer technology already includes some of the key
            new features in SVG 1.2, such as video and text flows, which might make
            people think that we are paying close attention to the SVG 1.2 update to
            the SVG standard. I hope that sometime soon there might be some real
            evidence from Adobe to back up these hints.

            Jon Ferraiolo
            Adobe Systems, Inc.

            At 09:44 AM 5/29/2003 +0000, reto00dz wrote:
            >Hi
            >
            >The adobe Acrobate Reader 6 is now out and can been downloaded by
            >Adobe.
            >But I don't know wath's with ASV3 I see there is ImageViewer in it
            >but is this the ASV or will the ASV4 plug in come next? Maybe at SVG
            >open?
            >
            >A lot of open questions...
            >
            >Regards
            >
            >Reto
            >
            >--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Smith"
            ><joehumanist@y...> wrote:
            > > Does anyone know if Adobe's SVG Viewer 3.0 shipped with Acrobat
            >Reader 5.0?
            > >
            > > If so, when did that bundling begin?
            > >
            > > From from reading through the archives and various adobe
            >announcement, it
            > > appears that ASV 2.0 shipped with acroread 5 starting in 04/2001.
            > >
            > > But I can't tell if ASV 3.0 was bundled with it after its release in
            > > 11/2001.
            > >
            > > thanks,
            > > Patrick
            >

            >-----
            >-or-
            >visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my
            >membership"
            >----

          • Patrick Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2003
              Ronan Oger wrote:
              > On the one hand we can say that it's a good thing that OEM machines are
              > coming out pre-bundled with ASV2. But then again, it really is a
              > shame that
              > it is version 2.

              This is exactly the situation I'm running into.

              I'd love to build my service that with an SVG front-end.

              But requiring a significant portion of my users to go through an arduous
              upgrade process ("Object doesn't support this property or method" message,
              go-to-a-new-page-download-and-install-restart-your-browser) is unteneble
              for my broad, consumer-oriented site.

              I'm open to any suggestions, but it appears that the bulk of the SVG viewers
              that are out there are ASV 2.0, which makes SVG a non-starter on the client
              end for me.

              Thanks,
              Patrick
            • Bernhard Zwischenbrugger
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2003
                Hi

                Can you provide links to PDF Documents that include SVG ?
                I was searching at the adobe website but can't find examples.

                Bernhard

                > constructed in the appropriate way. Adobe Photoshop Album is the
                first
                > product which generates these PDF+SVG documents (electronic Albums).

              • Antoine Quint
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
                  Hi there,

                  On vendredi, mai 30, 2003, at 22:06 Asia/Tokyo, Bernhard
                  Zwischenbrugger wrote:

                  > Can you provide links to PDF Documents that include SVG ?
                  > I was searching at the adobe website but can't find examples.

                  Although I'm not Jon I recall spending a night up coming up with an SVG
                  in PDF demo. You can read a couple short journal entries about this on
                  my svg.org blog:

                  http://www.svg.org/blogs/graouts/archives/001088.html (includes link to
                  PDF)
                  http://www.svg.org/blogs/graouts/archives/001087.html

                  Hope that's useful to you...

                  Antoine
                  --
                  Antoine Quint <antoine.quint@...>
                  SVG Consultant & Research Engineer, Fuchsia Design