Re: Free vectorized worldmap

  • rob_m_mckinnon
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      FYI, the world maps in that W3C Index are missing the South Island of
      Aotearoa/New Zealand; the top third of the North Island is missing as
      well.

      --- "Mike McCullough" wrote:
      > When looking for an SVG map of Iraq in March, I stumbled upon this
      > W3C Index of SVG Files:
      >
      > http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Offices/Presentations/svgs/index.xml
      >
      > It includes a world map under 'WorldMap.svgz'.
    • nyem
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        I have a worldmap with id="countryname" at
        http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap/v1.02/worldmap.svgz (74kb)

        This map is used in my animated viewbox example at
        http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap. The page also has a link to an SVG in
        PDF version, but the PDF size is rather big (349kb) because I've no idea on
        how to compress PDF. I used the svg_to_pdf.pl tool from Kevin Lindsey.
        Creating PDF from svgz files doesn't seem to work.

        regards,
        - nyem

        <!---# Mike McCullough wrote on 09:00 PM 5/1/2003 #--->
        >When looking for an SVG map of Iraq in March, I stumbled upon this
        >W3C Index of SVG Files:
        >
        >http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Offices/Presentations/svgs/index.xml
        >
        >It includes a world map under 'WorldMap.svgz'. Although it is too
        >large for your purposes, it is possible to extract from it an SVG map
        >of any country or region and may be of interest to others.
        >
        >Mike McCullough
        >
        >--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Zwischenbrugger"
        ><datenkueche2001@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > I have a project where I need a SVG worldmap.
        > >
        > > I want to use it for a online dictionary frontend.
        > > Here is the HTML Version:
        > > http://pauker.at
        > >
        > > Where can I get a worldmap that is free of copyright?
        > >
        > > Bernhard
        >

        >-----
        >-or-
        >visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my
        >membership"
        >----

        <!---# end of quoted message #--->
      • Mitchell, Lincoln L.
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          Is the animated viewbox example also FREE to use.

          Linc

          I have a worldmap with id="countryname" at
          http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap/v1.02/worldmap.svgz (74kb)

          This map is used in my animated viewbox example at
          http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap. The page also has a link to an SVG in
          PDF version, but the PDF size is rather big (349kb) because I've no idea on
          how to compress PDF. I used the svg_to_pdf.pl tool from Kevin Lindsey.
          Creating PDF from svgz files doesn't seem to work.

          regards,
          - nyem

          <!---# Mike McCullough wrote on 09:00 PM 5/1/2003 #--->
          >When looking for an SVG map of Iraq in March, I stumbled upon this
          >W3C Index of SVG Files:
          >
          >http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Offices/Presentations/svgs/index.xml
          >
          >It includes a world map under 'WorldMap.svgz'. Although it is too
          >large for your purposes, it is possible to extract from it an SVG map
          >of any country or region and may be of interest to others.
          >
          >Mike McCullough
          >
          >--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Zwischenbrugger"
          ><datenkueche2001@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I have a project where I need a SVG worldmap.
          > >
          > > I want to use it for a online dictionary frontend.
          > > Here is the HTML Version:
          > > http://pauker.at
          > >
          > > Where can I get a worldmap that is free of copyright?
          > >
          > > Bernhard
          >

          >-----
          >To unsubscribe send a message to:
          >-or-
          >visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my
          >membership"
          >----

          <!---# end of quoted message #--->

          this may confirm your email address to the spammer.
        • nyem
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2003
            Yes, it's free. Go ahead and use it. I wouldn't have been able to create
            that without sample codes from this svg-developers group.

            - nyem

            <!---# Mitchell, Lincoln L. wrote on 01:37 PM 5/2/2003 #--->
            >Is the animated viewbox example also FREE to use.
            >
            >Linc

          • rob_m_mckinnon
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2003
              --- nyem wrote:
              > I have a worldmap with id="countryname" at
              > http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap/v1.02/worldmap.svgz (74kb)

              The map is missing quite a few countries, mostly those with small land
              area such as island nations and smaller European countries. It appears
              that there are 167 countries on the map; determined by evaluating the
              following XPath expression:
              count(/svg/g/g/path/@id | /svg/g/g/g/path/@id | /svg/g/g/g/g/@id)

              For comparison, the current ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code documents
              list 239 separate countries:
              http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/index.html

              > This map is used in my animated viewbox example at
              > http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap

              A very impressive animation example. I wonder if it could be modified
              to run on other SVG viewers, such as the Batik Squiggle SVG browser?
              http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgviewer.html

              - Rob
            • Blaine Brodie
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                Here is another attempt at producing a world map:

                The VMAP0 dataset does not use ISO standard names. There are 247
                countries labelled in the SVG document. You will notice some
                peculiarities with small vectors; this was due to area generalization on
                the dataset.

                Blaine

                --- nyem wrote:
                > I have a worldmap with id="countryname" at
                > http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap/v1.02/worldmap.svgz (74kb)

                The map is missing quite a few countries, mostly those with small land
                area such as island nations and smaller European countries. It appears
                that there are 167 countries on the map; determined by evaluating the
                following XPath expression:
                count(/svg/g/g/path/@id | /svg/g/g/g/path/@id | /svg/g/g/g/g/@id)

                For comparison, the current ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code documents
                list 239 separate countries:
                http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists
                /index.html

                > This map is used in my animated viewbox example at
                > http://svg.onestop.com.my/worldmap

                A very impressive animation example. I wonder if it could be modified
                to run on other SVG viewers, such as the Batik Squiggle SVG browser?
                http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgviewer.html

                - Rob

                -----
                To unsubscribe send a message to: