Re: [svg-developers] hey jdowdell wats up on the Flash Mark Up Language

  • Chris Lilley
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2003
      On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, 7:50:13 AM, shishiraks wrote:

      s> The only problem i have with the flash player is that it is a java
      s> based player<just like asv> and it actually is in the end of the
      s> day a applet viewer correct me if i am wrong.

      OK - you are wrong. Neither the flash player nor asv is a java player.
      However, if you use these plufins on Netscape 4.x then you may see a
      message 'starting java' which is due to the live connect (a way of
      getting javascript to talk to the player) which may be why you thought
      they were written in java.

      s> There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the SVG front we
      s> need more tools like SODIPODI and also we needs tools like Flash,
      s> Fireworks, Freehand and Livemotion to be SVG enabled that is export
      s> to SVG both later applications have support for plugins or
      s> extensions is it possible for some one to write a Export to SVG ???

      Lots of people have written exporters to SVG. If you mean could
      Macromedia write such exporters for their products then yes, they
      could. The only thing preventing them is business decisions, not
      technology or licensing terms.

      s> just a thought. More important than that we need to have a better
      s> viewer with out processor overheads. SVG i feel for another year
      s> will be implemented only on the intranets but it has been built for
      s> more robust use like shopping sites etc. Anybody ever thought of
      s> building an open source plugin ??? mozilla ???

      Mozzila has integrated support, not using a plugin, although it needs
      more people to work on it.

      --
      Chris mailto:chris@...
    • shishiraks
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
        yep yep but we do need lots and lots of editors though and rich with
        features most important. i think they should be called SVGIDE & life
        is very difficult being a non programmer and an only programmers
        group like this as outlet

        love
        shira

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "gemy_c" <radar.map35@f...>
        wrote:
        > Hi shira,
        >

        > Of course we always miss tools. But we have to be careful not to
        > develop too many:
        > We have sodipodi but also
        > sketch ( http://sketch.sourceforge.net )
        > OpenOfficeDraw ( http://www.openoffice.org )
        >
        > for more details, see
        > http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations.htm8#svgedit
        >

        > For viewers, particularly Mozilla, we can hope it should soon be
        > implemented. See :
        >
        > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/
        > http://croczilla.com
        >
        > there's also a work for Kde
        > http://svg.kde.org
        >
        > I think the best is to help in one of those project and make them
        > grow fast.
        >
        > C├ędric
      • shishiraks
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          how do you convince me ?
          well i don't know i repeat i am not a programmer may be i need to
          come back to SVG after another year

          love
          shira
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lilley <chris@w...>
          wrote:
          > On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, 7:50:13 AM, shishiraks wrote:
          >

          > s> The only problem i have with the flash player is that it is a
          java
          > s> based player<just like asv> and it actually is in the end of the
          > s> day a applet viewer correct me if i am wrong.
          >
          > OK - you are wrong. Neither the flash player nor asv is a java
          player.
          > However, if you use these plufins on Netscape 4.x then you may see
          > message 'starting java' which is due to the live connect (a way of
          > getting javascript to talk to the player) which may be why you
          thought
          > they were written in java.
          >
          > s> There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the SVG front we
          > s> need more tools like SODIPODI and also we needs tools like
          Flash,
          > s> Fireworks, Freehand and Livemotion to be SVG enabled that is
          export
          > s> to SVG both later applications have support for plugins or
          > s> extensions is it possible for some one to write a Export to
          SVG ???

          > Lots of people have written exporters to SVG. If you mean could
          > Macromedia write such exporters for their products then yes, they
          > could. The only thing preventing them is business decisions, not
          > technology or licensing terms.
          >
          > s> just a thought. More important than that we need to have a
          better
          > s> viewer with out processor overheads. SVG i feel for another year
          > s> will be implemented only on the intranets but it has been built
          for
          > s> more robust use like shopping sites etc. Anybody ever thought of
          > s> building an open source plugin ??? mozilla ???
          >
          > Mozzila has integrated support, not using a plugin, although it
          needs
          > more people to work on it.
          >

          > --
          > Chris mailto:chris@w...
        • shishiraks
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
            i stay corrected asv and the flash player are not java

            wrote:
            > On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, 7:50:13 AM, shishiraks wrote:
            >

            > s> The only problem i have with the flash player is that it is a
            java
            > s> based player<just like asv> and it actually is in the end of the
            > s> day a applet viewer correct me if i am wrong.
            >
            > OK - you are wrong. Neither the flash player nor asv is a java
            player.
            > However, if you use these plufins on Netscape 4.x then you may see
            > message 'starting java' which is due to the live connect (a way of
            > getting javascript to talk to the player) which may be why you
            thought
            > they were written in java.
            >
            > s> There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the SVG front we
            > s> need more tools like SODIPODI and also we needs tools like
            Flash,
            > s> Fireworks, Freehand and Livemotion to be SVG enabled that is
            export
            > s> to SVG both later applications have support for plugins or
            > s> extensions is it possible for some one to write a Export to
            SVG ???

            > Lots of people have written exporters to SVG. If you mean could
            > Macromedia write such exporters for their products then yes, they
            > could. The only thing preventing them is business decisions, not
            > technology or licensing terms.
            >
            > s> just a thought. More important than that we need to have a
            better
            > s> viewer with out processor overheads. SVG i feel for another year
            > s> will be implemented only on the intranets but it has been built
            for
            > s> more robust use like shopping sites etc. Anybody ever thought of
            > s> building an open source plugin ??? mozilla ???
            >
            > Mozzila has integrated support, not using a plugin, although it
            needs
            > more people to work on it.
            >

            > --
            > Chris mailto:chris@w...
          • Mike Chambers
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
              fyi, in the past there have been Java based Flash players, both created by
              Macromedia (Flash 2) and third parties and individuals. However, as you
              pointed out, the current players are not Java based.

              I am not aware of any current public Java based flash players.

              mike chambers

              mesh@...