SVG on slashdot (regarding KDE's use of SVG).

  • Andrew Coats <awcoats@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
      Major Step Forward For SVG in the Desktop

      Posted by Hemos on Monday February 03, @08:00AM
      from the moving-things-along dept.
      Ur@eus writes "SVG the w3c format for Scalable Vector Graphics is
      seen as many as the future of desktop icons as it allows for scaling
      icons etc. without loss of quality. Dominic Lachowicz has been
      working hard on fixing bugs in librsvg over the last few days. The
      result is that librsvg now renders all available SVG icons
      perfectly. Not only do it render them, but it renders them faster
      than libpng renders the same images in png format. Together with the
      gdkpixbuf plugin librsvg offer it means GNOME 2.2 will be able to
      use SVG images not only for icons or desktop backgrounds, but also
      for the GUI widgets themselves and the graphics of the window
      manager. Dom's announcement can be found on the librsvg mailinglist.
      The librsvg site also offer a GNOME 2.2 metatheme using mostly SVG
      icons including a nice screenshot."

      http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/02/03/129215.shtml?
      tid=152&tid=106&tid=131
    • Tobias Reif
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
        Andrew Coats wrote:

        > Major Step Forward For SVG in the Desktop
        >
        > Posted by Hemos on Monday February 03, @08:00AM
        > from the moving-things-along dept.
        > Ur@eus writes "SVG the w3c format for Scalable Vector Graphics is
        > seen as many as the future of desktop icons as it allows for scaling
        > icons etc. without loss of quality. [...] Together with the
        > gdkpixbuf plugin librsvg offer it means GNOME 2.2 will be able to
        > use SVG images not only for icons or desktop backgrounds, but also
        > for the GUI widgets themselves and the graphics of the window
        > manager. [...]"

        In the subject, you wrote
        "regarding KDE's use of SVG"
        but I can't find "KDE" in the Article. What's the relation you are
        referring to?

        Tobi

        --
        http://www.pinkjuice.com/