Re: [svg-developers] Re: Re: To be or not to be Re: some thoughts on SVGZ specification

  • ronan@roasp.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 30, 2003
      And now, Ronan gets a lesson in dont-but-into-thread-without-reading-them-
      well...

      I'm glad I managed to butt in without making a *total* fool of myself.

      Another key point about zip is that it is difficult to work with. From what I
      remember it uses a 7-bit word for compression which makes the decompression
      quite problematic.

      The idea of basing an open-source standard like svg on a proprietary standard
      likz zip strikes me as dangerous as well.

      What happens in 5 years when winzip decide to enforce their patents and ask for
      a royalty on all zipped traffic? This would be *rather* problematic.

      And finally, winzip supports gzip. They can se e the gzipped data if the
      extention is matched to what windows expects (.gz rather than .svgz)

      ...So where's the end-user problem?