SVG and Visio, XML and Office

  • Paul Prescod
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 12, 2002
      The news sites have not yet picked it up, but at XML 2002 Microsoft
      announced SVG support for Visio and publically demonstrated the various
      Office product's support for various kinds of "OfficeML" (e.g. WordML)
      and arbitrary custom XML schemas. Jean Paoli says: "for those of us who
      have been working to get XML deployed on every desktop for years...we won!"

      This is by far the most open and standards-compliant version of MS
      Office in history.

      Paul Prescod
    • Robin Berjon
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 2, 2003
        Chris Lilley wrote:
        > On Friday, December 13, 2002, 12:06:33 PM, Robin wrote:
        > RB> I don't think anyone has ever considered using XML as a storage
        > RB> format for databases.
        >
        > http://xml.apache.org/xindice/

        Hmmm, yes, there are XML databases but I don't think that their internal storage
        is in XML. At least the indices usually are not (but I haven't looked at XIndice
        closely so I don't know. I'd be surprised however if it did that and got any
        performance!)

        --
        Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@...>
        Research Engineer, Expway http://expway.fr/