Re: [svg-developers] Digest Number 239

  • Alexander J. Vincent
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2001
      [quote]
      Sorry, but you are totally missing the point of multiple namespaces in one
      XML document. Each namespace does what it does best, SVG for 2D graphics,
      XHTML for simple Hyper Text, SMIL for Animation and Mulitmedia
      presentations, MathML for mathematical and scientific content, etc. SVG
      will never replace HTML. It can't be, and will never be, all things to all
      people, but extending it with all the other namespaces, will make it a
      powerful tool.
      [/quote]

      Based on this opinion, would I be wrong to pursue recommending added tags to
      MathML and SVG for analytic/mathematical forms of geometry? I have had very
      little response to several e-mails I've sent on the subject; the most
      interest I've seen is a few replies on this mailing list.

      Would it be more appropriate to create a third XML-based language for this
      purpose, and use XSLT to transform it? (knowing how little support for XSLT
      there is)

      Also, can I have one namespace within the same document receive content from
      another namespace already defined in the document and transformed by XSLT?
      That is, both of them are inline, one of them incomplete until the XSLT
      transformation.

      <root>
      <math>
      <![CDATA[ This section is complete, forgive my horrid XML grammar ]]>
      </math>
      <svg>
      <![CDATA[ This section is incomplete, receiving certain info from XSLT
      ]]>
      </svg>
      <xslt>
      <![CDATA[ This defines the stylesheet. ]]>
      </xslt>
      </root>