RE: [svg-developers] Distribute SVGViewer und PDFViewer in one single Plugin

  • Michael Bierman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Chris is right, the Adobe Viewer includes quite a bit of technology in it
      and that makes up for a lot. Many elements that the Flash player doesn't
      have to support because the SWF file format does not have the 'overhead' of
      a structured document, DOM, CSS, XSL, etc.

      Having said that, I do not envision Adobe trying to use our SVG Viewer to
      compete with Web browsers. I also tend to agree with the person (sorry,
      forgot who made the comment) that SVG can not be everything to everybody so
      making it a complete Web browser wouldn't make sense to me.

      Another question was can (or will) Adobe make the SVG Viewer smaller. As
      always, I can't comment directly about future plans or the timing of them,
      but it is certainly be something that we can imagine being on the list of
      things to work on. Understandably, everyone likes content (and software if
      it is downloaded) to be as small as possible.

      Michael Bierman
      Senior Product Manager, SVG Product Marketing
      mbierman@... http://www.adobe.com/svg

      Adobe Systems - "Inspiration becomes reality."
      345 Park Avenue
      San Jose, California 95110