Re: [svg-developers] Digest Number 227

  • taing@pobox.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2001
      > Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:08:44 -0800
      > From: "Paton Lewis" <palewis@...>
      > Subject: Re: Enbed and object. (Re: SVG properties
      missing with Netscape)

      > Ideally one would use the 'object' tag, but
      unfortunately there is a bug in
      > IE5 under Win98 which prevents scripts from being able
      to access the DOM of
      > the SVG Viewer ActiveX control through the 'object'
      tag. Therefore Adobe
      > recommends for the interim that authors use
      the 'embed' tag because this
      > works correctly on all supported browsers.

      I have had not problems with script accessing the svg in
      IE as long as the plug-in is
      not installed for Netscape on the same machine.

      > Message: 17
      > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:28:56 +0100
      > From: Chris Lilley <chris@...>
      > Subject: Re: Enbed and object. (Re: SVG properties
      missing with Netscape)

      > Yes, but put something useful inside the object
      (that's why it has separate
      > start and end tags, unlike img) - a JPEG file, or a
      text description, or
      > both. This will be displayed by systems that can't yet
      display SVG.

      The ability to put a JPEG(or other content) inside the
      object tag is one of the main
      reasons I prefer it to embed. Given the size of the svg
      plug-in, I view it as pretty hostile
      to REQUIRE a user to download it or be faced with a
      blank space.