Re: EuroTripper SVG web site

  • lepetiturn
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
      Andreas,

      Thanks for your suggestions. I've implemented both of them. I
      realize that, as well as developing content, there is a lot of
      cleanup work to be done.

      How did you like the site? Do you have any suggestions on design?

      Regards,
      URN

      <!--
      for those who like slogans:
      There are two kinds of people in the world:
      those who believe that there are two kinds of people in the world
      and those who don't.
      -->

      --- In svg-developers@y..., "neumannandreas" <neumann@k...> wrote:
      > http://www.eurotripper.com/index.svg is a rather large image
      (though nice) - you can gzip it so it can be downloaded faster.

      > Andreas
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@y..., "lepetiturn" <urn@s...> wrote:
      > > I'm developing a site for eurail trip planning:
      > >
      > > www.eurotripper.com
      > >
      > > It relies heavily on SVG (Adobe plugin) for presentation
      > > and is in its infancy. The current content may give you an
      > > idea of what I'd like to eventually do.
      > >
      > > Please visit my site and let me know what you think. I'll
      > > appreciate all comments/suggestions/questions.
      > >
      > > If you want to reach me offline, email urn@s...
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > URN
    • lepetiturn
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
        Andrew,

        Thanks for your observations - I'm a relative novice at HTML/XHTML
        (among many other things). I'll clean up the ambiguities soon.

        I downloaded and installed Mozilla 1.0.1 (build 2002082606) for
        Windows (I'm running WINXP on my development machine) to test your
        suggestion that the problem may be related to XHTML syntax. I'm not
        using Mozilla's native SVG - I'm using the Adobe 3.0 plugin.

        Removing the "embed" statement alone prevents the crash. In fact, I
        cannot get Mozilla 1.0.1 to load an HTML file including an "embed"
        except for using the following curious procedure (assume index.html
        embeds button.svg):

        1) load the file button.svg
        2) load the file index.html

        It appears that if the file to be embedded has been preloaded into
        the cache that an embedding file will then load without crashing the
        browser.

        I've tried several different sites and all HTML pages with embedded
        SVG cause Mozilla to crash. Even "object" crashes it. Perhaps I mis-
        interpreted your statement about JavaScript being the "usual culprit
        when Mozilla 1.1 crashes when presented with SVG". Since you knew
        the page was HTML, I inferred that you normally expected a simple
        SVG embed to work without problems.

        Are you using a different version of Mozilla or do you have a
        different environment? Are you using the Adobe 3.0 plugin? If not,
        can you provide a sample or URL that does work with Mozilla?

        Thanks for your help,
        URN

        --- In svg-developers@y..., AndrewWatt2001@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 30/09/2002 14:30:07 GMT Daylight Time, urn@s...
        > writes:
        >

        > > I'm developing a site for eurail trip planning:
        > >
        > > www.eurotripper.com
        > >
        > > It relies heavily on SVG (Adobe plugin) for presentation
        > > and is in its infancy. The current content may give you an
        > > idea of what I'd like to eventually do.
        > >
        > > Please visit my site and let me know what you think. I'll
        > > appreciate all comments/suggestions/questions.
        > >

        > Hi Urn, :)
        >
        > I would suggest that you reconcile the HTML/XHTML DOCTYPE and the
        actual
        > HTML/XHTML code. At present you have an XHTML DOCTYPE and HTML
        element type
        > names.
        >
        > I don't know if that contributed to the Mozilla 1.1 browser crash
        when I
        > loaded your default home page. There doesn't appear to be any
        JavaScript with
        > the small amount of SVG on that page which is the usual culprit
        when Mozilla
        > 1.1 crashes when presented with SVG.
        >
        > [Tobi, it isn't compulsory for you to comment on the above
        paragraph.]

        > Andrew Watt

      • Tobias Reif
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
          lepetiturn wrote:

          > I've tried several different sites and all HTML pages with embedded
          > SVG cause Mozilla to crash.

          Yes. This is a know incompatibility between Mozilla 1+ and ASV3:

          http://mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.1/#plugins

          "The Adobe SVG plugin crashes. Workaround: Don't copy it (NPSVG3.dll
          NPSVG3.zip) into your plugins folder. [...]"

          Some more info at
          http://www.pinkjuice.com/svg/asv.xhtml

          Tobi

          --
          http://www.pinkjuice.com/
        • Ernest E. Parker
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
            Hi Tobi,

            Yes, I had already read the Release Notes but they didn't document
            the conditions under which ASV3 crashes. In fact, most of my site
            works well with Mozilla 1.0.1 and ASV3. I want to be somewhat
            friendly and not shut Mozilla users out at the front door (the embed
            occurs on the site's home page).

            I have also visited your site (often). It's got a lot of good stuff.
            I'd appreciate any comments you may have about my site. Don't expect
            much, it's just getting started (it does have a neat SVG calendar
            date-picker page and itinerary page).

            I'm at http://www.eurotripper.com

            Regards,
            URN

            <!--
            for those who enjoy slogans:
            Dieu a tout fait de rien. Mais le rien perce. - Paul Valery
            -->

            --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:
            > lepetiturn wrote:
            >

            > > I've tried several different sites and all HTML pages with
            embedded
            > > SVG cause Mozilla to crash.
            >

            > Yes. This is a know incompatibility between Mozilla 1+ and ASV3:
            >
            > http://mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.1/#plugins
            >
            > "The Adobe SVG plugin crashes. Workaround: Don't copy it
            (NPSVG3.dll
            > NPSVG3.zip) into your plugins folder. [...]"
            >
            > Some more info at
            > http://www.pinkjuice.com/svg/asv.xhtml
            >

            > Tobi
            >
            > --
            > http://www.pinkjuice.com/
          • Tobias Reif
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
              Hi Ernest,

              > Yes, I had already read the Release Notes but they didn't document
              > the conditions under which ASV3 crashes. In fact, most of my site
              > works well with Mozilla 1.0.1 and ASV3. I want to be somewhat
              > friendly and not shut Mozilla users out at the front door (the embed
              > occurs on the site's home page).

              I see; you want to use workarounds so that Moz+/NN7 + ASV3 combos don't
              crash.
              (Personally, I see no reason to care about this combination when
              creating SVGs or pages. Since ASV3 is not supported for use with
              NN6/7/Moz1+, and NN6/7/Moz1+ is not supported for use with ASV3, I see
              no way of supporting this combo. It can crash whenever it feels like it;
              I can't solve the problem that is in the code of the two packages.)

              I suggest to also do something that can help solving the underlying
              problem, which is the current incompatibility between this browser and
              this plugin. One thing could be to express your requirements and
              concerns to the vendors who can solve the problem; find contact details at