RE: [svg-developers] RE: SVG graphing using Illustrator 10

  • Michael Bierman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      I was the Senior Product Manager for SVG at Adobe, so I'm familiar with how
      each demo was created.

      I disagree that there was any deception involved here. This tutorial was
      under the "See SVG in Action" area, not an Illustrator tutorial. Since
      Adobe has several products that produce SVG, there should be no expectation
      that this was created with Illustrator per se; it could have been InDesign.
      :)

      All kidding aside, and to be more precise, the basic design of the graph was
      done in AI9. That includes the background, the style sheet for the pie
      wedges, etc. But at a certain point in the development, we took the AI SVG
      output and hand coded the JavaScript. This was necessary, as one can not do
      100% of the features in Illustrator. For example, Illustrator will not write
      the JavaScript for you. As I said, I believe that this could have done
      better, by including the JavaScript in a separate file and using
      Illustrator's "SVG Interactivity Palate" (which perhaps should have been
      called, the "JavaScript Interactivity Palate" since that's what it does...)

      Having said that, Illustrator is a useful tool for creating SVG. Is there
      more functionality it could have viz a viz SVG? Of course! Though Adobe
      doesn't have anyone dedicated to looking after SVG features in their
      products, I hope they will continue along the path they are on now and
      future versions will do more of what you want.

      By the way, as I also mentioned earlier, if you use Illustrator with Adobe
      AlterCast, you would get an automated work flow for what you want today, out
      of the box.

      Michael

    • Jim Ley
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        "Chris Lilley" <chris@...>
        > http://www.grapl.com/desktop/
        >
        > it exports SVG (and also VML)
        >
        > http://www.grapl.com/vmlnotes/introduction/vml_and_svg_compared.htm

        Not really relevant, but that page does misrepresent VML somewhat
        claiming it can't rotate text, and can't position text, which it can:

        <head>
        <STYLE>v\:* { behavior: url(#default#VML); }</STYLE>
        <XML:NAMESPACE NS="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" PREFIX="v"/>
        <title>Blank Page</title>
        </head>

        <v:shape id="text01" style="rotation:20;"
        coordorigin="-100 100" coordsize="200 200"
        path="m 0,200 l 100,200 x e"
        style='position:relative;top:.1in;left:1in;width:3in;height:1.5in'
        strokecolor="red" strokeweight=".5pt">
        <v:path textpathok="True" />
        <v:fill on="True" color="red" type="solid"/>
        <v:textpath on="True" id="mytp" style="font:normal normal normal 36pt
        Arial;"
        xscale="True" string="Hello VML"/>
        </v:shape>

        Not that, that is a good reason to use VML of course!

        Jim.