Re: [svg-developers] RE: SVG graphing using Illustrator 10

  • Chris Lilley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Thursday, August 1, 2002, 9:57:24 AM, Steve wrote:

      SC> Michael Wrote:

      >>The demo you are looking at was not done with AI10 (or AI9 for that
      >>matter.)
      >>It was hand coded.

      SC> If you think it was hand coded, how can adobe show it as a demo under
      SC> Illustrator on their website ?! To me that is almost false advertising ! I
      SC> had assumed I would need AI to be able to easily perform the functionality I
      SC> am after.

      >>I am not aware of a trivial way to use AI10 to create
      >>dymanic SVG graphs unless you use AlterCast (
      SC> http://www.adobe.com/products/altercast/main.html

      SC> I can't / don't really want to start buying other software if I can help it.
      SC> I am trying to come up with a proof-of-concept idea for my boss... and
      SC> getting him to part with money isn't easy.

      >>Then you could use Illustrator to modify the underlying template
      >>for the pie, bar, and graph examples. If I get a chance, I'll try to get
      >>this working and post the results.

      SC> Don't worry about trying to get something sorted using AI ... from what I
      SC> have read it won't really make my life any easier ( which I has assumed it
      SC> would ).

      SC> <Newbie Question>
      SC> Essentially I have a very simple XML data set that I need to transform into
      SC> a Bar / Pie Chart. I just need pointers as to the best way to do this ?
      SC> Examples where I can see the code would be ideal as I learn fastest trying
      SC> to rip apart something someone else has already done !
      SC> </NQ>

      Have you looked at GraPL?

      http://www.grapl.com/desktop/

      it exports SVG (and also VML)

      http://www.grapl.com/vmlnotes/introduction/vml_and_svg_compared.htm

      There is also GraPL.NET for automated, server-side graph generation
      http://www.grapl.com/net/index.html

      --
      Chris mailto:chris@...
    • Michael Bierman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        I was the Senior Product Manager for SVG at Adobe, so I'm familiar with how
        each demo was created.

        I disagree that there was any deception involved here. This tutorial was
        under the "See SVG in Action" area, not an Illustrator tutorial. Since
        Adobe has several products that produce SVG, there should be no expectation
        that this was created with Illustrator per se; it could have been InDesign.
        :)

        All kidding aside, and to be more precise, the basic design of the graph was
        done in AI9. That includes the background, the style sheet for the pie
        wedges, etc. But at a certain point in the development, we took the AI SVG
        output and hand coded the JavaScript. This was necessary, as one can not do
        100% of the features in Illustrator. For example, Illustrator will not write
        the JavaScript for you. As I said, I believe that this could have done
        better, by including the JavaScript in a separate file and using
        Illustrator's "SVG Interactivity Palate" (which perhaps should have been
        called, the "JavaScript Interactivity Palate" since that's what it does...)

        Having said that, Illustrator is a useful tool for creating SVG. Is there
        more functionality it could have viz a viz SVG? Of course! Though Adobe
        doesn't have anyone dedicated to looking after SVG features in their
        products, I hope they will continue along the path they are on now and
        future versions will do more of what you want.

        By the way, as I also mentioned earlier, if you use Illustrator with Adobe
        AlterCast, you would get an automated work flow for what you want today, out
        of the box.

        Michael

      • Jim Ley
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          "Chris Lilley" <chris@...>
          > http://www.grapl.com/desktop/
          >
          > it exports SVG (and also VML)
          >
          > http://www.grapl.com/vmlnotes/introduction/vml_and_svg_compared.htm

          Not really relevant, but that page does misrepresent VML somewhat
          claiming it can't rotate text, and can't position text, which it can:

          <head>
          <STYLE>v\:* { behavior: url(#default#VML); }</STYLE>
          <XML:NAMESPACE NS="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" PREFIX="v"/>
          <title>Blank Page</title>
          </head>

          <v:shape id="text01" style="rotation:20;"
          coordorigin="-100 100" coordsize="200 200"
          path="m 0,200 l 100,200 x e"
          style='position:relative;top:.1in;left:1in;width:3in;height:1.5in'
          strokecolor="red" strokeweight=".5pt">
          <v:path textpathok="True" />
          <v:fill on="True" color="red" type="solid"/>
          <v:textpath on="True" id="mytp" style="font:normal normal normal 36pt
          Arial;"
          xscale="True" string="Hello VML"/>
          </v:shape>

          Not that, that is a good reason to use VML of course!

          Jim.