Re: example (was:Re: [svg-developers] document.write ?

  • Jim Ley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      "Ruud Steltenpool" <r.g.steltenpool@...>
      > In your SVG use the following elements
      >
      > <generate function="0" />
      > <generate function="1" />
      >
      > Because they're not in the SVG DTD they don't affect the drawing, but
      cause
      > they're valid XML are accessible by the DOM, right?
      >
      > Put a onload="generate();" on the document
      >
      > This generate function will find every generate Element and replace it
      with
      > some valid SVG on basis of the function-parameter

      well generate will need to be in a different namespace to SVG, but yep it
      works for me. (you can also add title desc etc. to the generate things so
      it's still accessible when svg scripting is disabled etc.)

      Jim.
    • Ruud Steltenpool
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        As long as the generate Element is not within the SVG DTD (and i believe it
        is indeed not), then it's OK right?

        Namespaces are only there to provide some standard to make tools
        'understand; i believe, so they can
        -check whether it's valid
        -perform all kinds of other processing

        But because what i'm working on is a closed system where the non SVG stuff
        within the document is processed by some Script that is specifically written
        for it and that on it's turn makes sure that everything stays consistent,
        namespaces are not really needed, right ?

        It would of course usually be nicer to have a namespace for all kinds of
        maintainability reasons.