layers in SVG?

  • pflaume001001
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi,
      does anybody know if there is any possiblity to change the layer-
      position of any element?
      I need this, because I generate an SVG tree dynamically. And when you
      click on one of the tree leafs an formerly invisible element gets
      visible, but unfortunenatly this element (displaying further
      information to the tree leaf element) only overlaps the tree leaf
      itself because it was generated before but none of the other tree
      leafs generated afterwards.

      Any suggestions?

      thank you,
      alex
    • Ruud Steltenpool
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/render.html#RenderingOrder

        and from http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/ecma-script-binding.html
        The Node object has the following methods:
        insertBefore(newChild, refChild)
        This method returns a Node object.
        The newChild parameter is a Node object.
        The refChild parameter is a Node object.
        This method can raise a DOMException object.
        appendChild(newChild)
        This method returns a Node object.
        The newChild parameter is a Node object.
        This method can raise a DOMException object.
        replaceChild(newChild, oldChild)
        This method returns a Node object.
        The newChild parameter is a Node object.
        The oldChild parameter is a Node object.
        This method can raise a DOMException object.
        removeChild(oldChild)
        This method returns a Node object.
        The oldChild parameter is a Node object.
        This method can raise a DOMException object.

        With these 2 bits of information you'll be able to figure it out.

        > does anybody know if there is any possiblity to change the layer-
        > position of any element?
        > I need this, because I generate an SVG tree dynamically. And when you
        > click on one of the tree leafs an formerly invisible element gets
        > visible, but unfortunenatly this element (displaying further
        > information to the tree leaf element) only overlaps the tree leaf
        > itself because it was generated before but none of the other tree
        > leafs generated afterwards.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > thank you,
        > alex