Filters

  • Jim Ley
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002

      Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that tv
      uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?

      Jim.
    • Peschka, Jeremiah
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
        Couldn't feConvolveMatrix be used to generate this effect?

        Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that tv
        uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?

        Jim.

      • Dean Jackson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
          On Mon, 03 Jun 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

          > Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that tv
          > uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?

          You should be able to use a low filterRes on some cleverly crafted
          filter regions. The filtering code would then be simple - just
          an feImage.

          Does this make sense?

          Dean
        • Michael Bierman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
            Maybe it is overkill, but here are two that ships with Illustrator 10 that
            is pretty close.

            <filter id="AI_PixelPlay_1" filterUnits="objectBoundingBox" filterRes="50
            50">

            <animate fill="remove" values="1 1;20 15;200 200; 15 20;1 1 "
            attributeName="filterRes" dur="10s" calcMode="spline" accumulate="none"
            additive="replace" restart="always" begin="0s" repeatDur="indefinite">
            </animate>
            <feGaussianBlur in="SourceAlpha" result="blur" id="blur"
            stdDeviation="7"></feGaussianBlur>
            <feComposite in="blur" result="compositeOut" in2="SourceGraphic"
            operator="in"></feComposite>
            <feComposite in="compositeOut" result="compositeOut1" in2="SourceAlpha"
            operator="arithmetic" k4="0" k1="0" k3="1" k2="1">
            </feComposite>
            <feMerge>
            <feMergeNode in="compositeOut1"></feMergeNode>
            </feMerge>
            </filter>

            <filter id="AI_PixelPlay_2" filterUnits="objectBoundingBox" filterRes="50
            50">

            <animate fill="remove" values="50 50;20 20;50 50"
            attributeName="filterRes" dur="10s" calcMode="linear" accumulate="none"
            additive="replace" restart="always" begin="0s" repeatDur="indefinite">
            </animate>
            <feGaussianBlur in="SourceAlpha" result="blur" id="blur"
            stdDeviation="7"></feGaussianBlur>

            <feDiffuseLighting in="blur" result="diffuse" id="diffuse"
            surfaceScale="5" diffuseConstant="1" resultScale="1"
            lighting-color="yellow">

            <animate fill="remove"
            values="yellow;green;blue;indigo;violet;red;orange"
            attributeName="lighting-color" dur="15s" calcMode="linear" accumulate="none"
            additive="replace" restart="always" begin="0s" repeatDur="indefinite">
            </animate>
            <feDistantLight elevation="60" azimuth="180"></feDistantLight>
            </feDiffuseLighting>

            <feSpecularLighting in="blur" result="specularOut" surfaceScale="15"
            specularExponent="15" specularConstant="10" lighting-color="red">

            <animate fill="remove" values="black;gray;midnightblue;black"
            attributeName="lighting-color" dur="15s" calcMode="linear" accumulate="none"
            additive="replace" restart="always" begin="0s" repeatDur="indefinite">
            </animate>
            <feDistantLight id="light" elevation="60"
            azimuth="180"></feDistantLight>
            </feSpecularLighting>
            <feComposite in="specularOut" result="specularOut" in2="SourceAlpha"
            operator="in"></feComposite>
            <feComposite in="SourceGraphic" result="litPaint" in2="diffuse"
            operator="arithmetic" k4="0" k1="1" k3="0" k2="0">
            </feComposite>
            <feComposite in="litPaint" result="litPaint1" in2="specularOut"
            operator="arithmetic" k4="0" k1="0" k3="1" k2="1">
            </feComposite>
            <feMerge>
            <feMergeNode in="litPaint1"></feMergeNode>
            </feMerge>
            </filter>

            Michael

          • Kevin Lindsey
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
              Hey Jim,

              > Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that tv
              > uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?

              As Dean mentioned, you'll probably want to use filterRes on a filter. I created an example that let's you drag a square around an image. The image below the square is pixelized. A slider is included so you can change the resolution within the square.

              http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize.svg

              It shouldn't matter what filter you use as long as it doesn't actually alter the image. I used feOffset with no displacements to achieve identity.

              HTH,
              Kevin
              KevLinDev - http://www.kevlindev.com

            • Jim Ley
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@...>
                > > Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that
                tv
                > > uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?
                >
                > As Dean mentioned, you'll probably want to use filterRes on a filter. I
                created an example that let's you drag a square around an image. The
                image below the square is pixelized. A slider is included so you can
                change the resolution within the square.

                > http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize.svg
                >
                > It shouldn't matter what filter you use as long as it doesn't actually
                alter the image.
                > I used feOffset with no displacements to achieve identity.

                KEWL!

                http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg generated from the RDF that gives
                you:
                http://jibbering.com/rdfsvg/search.1?noun=Penis (Obvious content warning,
                although it really isn't much to worry about...)

                That should show you what I'm trying to do, and it works pretty well!

                Jim.
              • Dave Pawson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                  At 20:11 04/06/2002 +0100, you wrote:

                  >KEWL!

                  <grin/>Isn't it just :-)

                  >http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg generated from the RDF that gives
                  >you:
                  >http://jibbering.com/rdfsvg/search.1?noun=Penis (Obvious content warning,
                  >although it really isn't much to worry about...)

                  Load time is horrendous Jim? 30-40 seconds
                  Is lots going on in the bg?

                  Real case for an ASV load indicator.
                  Most would have gone home long before it showed.

                  Regards DaveP
                • Jim Ley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                    "Dave Pawson" <daveP@...>
                    > <grin/>Isn't it just :-)
                    >
                    > >http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg generated from the RDF that
                    gives
                    > >you:
                    > >http://jibbering.com/rdfsvg/search.1?noun=Penis (Obvious content
                    warning,
                    > >although it really isn't much to worry about...)
                    >
                    > Load time is horrendous Jim? 30-40 seconds
                    > Is lots going on in the bg?

                    Nothing is going on in the background, it's very simple... and I've not
                    seen such a problem... maybe it was just my connection being full I was
                    uploading a fair bit at the time.

                    Jim.
                  • Jim Ley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 7, 2002
                      "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@...>
                      > > Is there a filter that can perform the macro-ing effect (the one that
                      tv
                      > > uses to hide peoples faces etc.) on a raster image?
                      >
                      > As Dean mentioned, you'll probably want to use filterRes on a
                      >filter. I created an example that let's you drag a square around an
                      >image. The image below the square is pixelized. A slider is included
                      >so you can change the resolution within the square.
                      >

                      > http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize.svg

                      Right, so I've used this in:

                      http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg
                      and
                      http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter2.svg

                      but because I don't know the size of the area I want pixelated (and It'd
                      be tough to get the size from the path in the generation of these files.)
                      it looks a bit odd, can I ensure the blocks stay the same size whatever
                      the size of the area?

                      Jim.
                    • Kevin Lindsey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
                        Hey Jim,

                        >> http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize.svg
                        >
                        > Right, so I've used this in:
                        >
                        > http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg
                        > and
                        > http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter2.svg
                        >
                        > but because I don't know the size of the area I want pixelated (and It'd
                        > be tough to get the size from the path in the generation of these files.)
                        > it looks a bit odd, can I ensure the blocks stay the same size whatever
                        > the size of the area?

                        I've uploaded another sample that I believe will do what you need:

                        http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize2.svg

                        I had to do a little re-arranging of the SVG, but the important change is
                        that I added filterUnits="userSpaceOnUse" to the filter element.

                        Kevin
                        KevLinDev - http://www.kevlindev.com
                      • pilatfr
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
                          --- In svg-developers@y..., "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@k...> wrote:
                          > I've uploaded another sample that I believe will do what you need:
                          >
                          > http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize2.svg

                          Hello Kevin,

                          Using filterUnits='userSpaceOnUse' with x="0%" y="0%" ......
                          What value give to filterRes to get original picture in all case?

                          Michel
                        • Jim Ley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
                            "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@...>
                            > >> http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize.svg
                            > >
                            > > Right, so I've used this in:
                            > >
                            > > http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter.svg
                            > > and
                            > > http://jibbering.com/2002/6/filter2.svg
                            > >
                            > > but because I don't know the size of the area I want pixelated (and
                            It'd
                            > > be tough to get the size from the path in the generation of these
                            files.)
                            > > it looks a bit odd, can I ensure the blocks stay the same size
                            whatever
                            > > the size of the area?
                            >
                            > I've uploaded another sample that I believe will do what you need:
                            >
                            > http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize2.svg
                            >
                            > I had to do a little re-arranging of the SVG, but the important change
                            is
                            > that I added filterUnits="userSpaceOnUse" to the filter element.

                            Hmm, doesn't work for me, presumably because I'm using a path element and
                            the userSpace isn't the element - I'll have to have a play and see what I
                            can do. - If I use a clip-path on an element as in your example it's
                            okay, but then I don't get the nice rectangular region I want. (there's
                            no point hiding a Penis if it's still Penis shaped...)

                            Cheers,

                            Jim.
                          • Kevin Lindsey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                              Hey Michel,

                              > Using filterUnits='userSpaceOnUse' with x="0%" y="0%" ......
                              > What value give to filterRes to get original picture in all case?

                              I played around with this a bit. This is what I figured out so far.

                              First off, I shouldn't have used:

                              <filter filterUnits="userSpaceOnUse" x="0%" y="0%" width="100%" height="100%"...>

                              Those width and height values end up using the entire SVG canvas for the filter. It causes an interesting, but undesirable effect when you view an SVG image by itself and then resize the window. Instead, I set the width and height to match the size of the image in the image's coordinate system. Since there is no transformation on the image's coordinate system, I can use the image's size:

                              <filter filterUnits="userSpaceOnUse" x="0" y="0" width="400" height="300"...>

                              The filterRes attribute tells the filter how many pixels to render in the filter region. The resulting pixels and then scaled to fit the filter region. Since my image is 400x300, I need to render 400 pixels across by 300 pixels high. Fortunately, we can specify x-pixels and y-pixels in filterRes. To create and identical image, my filter element ends up looking like this:

                              <filter filterUnits="userSpaceOnUse" x="0" y="0" width="400" height="300"
                              filterRes="400,300">

                              You will have to adjust the width and height as soon as you scale the image...just divide the original values by the currentScale.

                              Here's an example that does not take scaling into effect:

                              http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize3.svg

                              and one that does:

                              http://www.kevlindev.com/samples/pixelize/pixelize4.svg

                              I haven't tried to print the SVG file with these settings, but I suspect the image will looked pixelated since we're emulating screen res (72dpi or 96dpi) with these settings.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                                --- In svg-developers@y..., "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@k...> wrote:

                                Hey Kevin

                                filterRes value effect depend of size of filter region ...
                                It was the reason of my small provocation!
                                Why not choose pixels size, more explicite for user?

                                See at
                                http://pilat.free.fr/english/filters/filtre_res.htm

                                Michel

                                PS This example don't work after zoom or pan ...
                              • Kevin Lindsey
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                                  Michel,

                                  > filterRes value effect depend of size of filter region ...
                                  > Why not choose pixels size, more explicite for user?
                                  > http://pilat.free.fr/english/filters/filtre_res.htm

                                  Agreed! That is much more intuitive from the user's perspective. Good suggestion.

                                • joe.doll@ymail.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 30, 2012
                                    Andy, I'm sorry disappoint. Our job is to turn pictures into mathematics. I'm not against filters, but our customers need the mathematics to be in place and correct. To compare it to optics, we provide a telescope (not sunglasses). Some of the other conversion programs will give you a filtered output. You might try VectorMagic.