Re: xlink:href Thanks but...

  • Peter Sorotokin
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 4, 2000
      --- In svg-developers@egroups.com, jstanley@e... wrote:

      > Thanks very much, I kinda figured that xlink:href is in the SVG
      > parser glad to hear it confirmed. So I guess that means that my
      xsl
      > tranformer can't define a competing xlink namespace in the same
      > document. Therefore, I am screwed since I have to have a defined
      > xlink namespace in my xsl file to get the xsl parser to parse the
      > document...but the svg viewer has a globally defined xlink
      > namespace.
      >
      > Will using the same uri (I am currently using
      > xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xptr-19991206 ") as the
      SVG
      > viewer can I avoid this problem? If so what is the uri for xlink
      in
      > the svg viewer?

      Declare xlink namespace as xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink",
      it should work in Adobe SVG 2.0 beta and in all later releases.
      There was an error in the SVG spec draft, which version 1.0 picked
      up, so it will not work in version 1.0 (it expects
      http://www.w3.org/2000/xlink/namespace, I think).

      Peter

      > Thanks for your prompt reply. Looking for the day I can help
      someone
      > else out.
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@egroups.com, "Antoine Quint" <antoine@k...>

      > > | be specified.
      > > |
      > > | No. However, if you use a DOCTYPE declaration, all the
      namespace
      > > | specification comes for free - so, you don't have to type it
      into
      > your SVG
      > > | document.
      > >
      > > Haha, thanks very much Chris. I didn't know the Xlink namespace
      was
      > included
      > > in the SVG doctype, now I *really* get it. I am using the doctype
      > anyway,
      > > but I didn't really know what was going on behind the scene.
      > >
      > > antoine
    • Steve White
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 15, 2000
        Back to the performance problem. If you recall, animated Objects tend to go
        slower the farther apart they are. The two examples I posted previously
        illustrate this.

        http://www.virtualmechanics.com/test/pertest1.svg
        http://www.virtualmechanics.com/test/acttest.svg

        This is pretty well the opposite of what you would expect since the farther
        apart they are, the less chance there is of a collision which would require
        more processing. In fact, in the examples everything seems to go the fastest
        when they do collide.

        The problem I'll bet, is that the Adobe viewer takes any Object that has
        changed each frame and then Invalidates a Rectangle that will fit their
        maximum extents. If two small and very simple Objects change at opposite
        corners of the display area, the entire display area will be recalculated. I
        suspect the Viewer needs to be modified to calculate the bounding box of
        animated objects independently.

        Yours Truly

        Steve White
        steve@...