Re: [svg-developers] SVG + SMIL (time based animation in SVG)

  • Jon Ferraiolo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2000
      One thing I would point out is that the W3C is attempting to modularize all
      of its languages so that components from each language can be assembled
      into useful combinations. With SMIL-Boston (the next version of SMIL that
      is under development), one of the goals is to modularize SMIL. For example,
      the animation component is a separate module. This module is included as
      part of the definition of SVG, and Microsoft has implemented this component
      as part of IE 5.5 so that you can animate HTML.

      So, SVG+SMILAnimation already exists. As has been pointed out in other
      emails, the Adobe SVG Viewer also supports an <audio> element with slightly
      different syntax than in the SMIL 1.0 spec, but here is a case where one
      implementation comes close to supporting SVG+SMILAnimation+SMILAudio. This
      is clearly quite a ways down the road toward a complete implementation of
      both SVG and SMIL-Boston.

      Jon Ferraiolo
      SVG Editor
      Adobe Systems Incorporated