What can ve done with SVG? Excel

  • wesleytperkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2002
      Some time ago I had a project to take a fairly complex Excel workbook
      and put equivalent functionality on the Web. Being sufficiently lazy
      I decided to automate the process. I wrote a VBA macro and a C++ COM
      object to spit out the contents of the Excel file in XML (the latest
      versions of Excel amy already do this?).

      I then used XSLT to style that XML in two ways. One, purely for my
      own curiosity, created a diagram depicting all the calculation trees
      (i.e. the set of final results traced through all subsidiary
      calculations). This rather cryptic diagram may be seen at:

      http://www.svgcomposer.com/etc/

      The other style sheet created an actual workbork in SVG format with
      12 sheets and all calculations live, though some of the more complex
      ones were rather slow.

      I can't show the latter due to the confidential nature of its
      contents. However, if someone would like to send me an Excel
      workbook of medium size and without esoteric contents I would be
      happy to convert it to SVG, providing that I don't receive too many.
      Excel '97 only, please.

      Wesley T Perkins
      wesley@...
    • Tobias Reif
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2002
        wesleytperkins wrote:

        > The other style sheet created an actual workbork in SVG format with
        > 12 sheets and all calculations live, though some of the more complex
        > ones were rather slow.
        >
        > I can't show the latter due to the confidential nature of its
        > contents.

        I guess I can't pursue you to open source and free the XSLT?
        It would be useful for many.

        Tobi

        --

        * peace&love.
        * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2002
          > Some time ago I had a project to take a fairly complex Excel workbook
          > and put equivalent functionality on the Web. Being sufficiently lazy
          > I decided to automate the process. I wrote a VBA macro and a C++ COM
          > object to spit out the contents of the Excel file in XML (the latest
          > versions of Excel amy already do this?).

          Office XP claims, "XML Support in Excel and Access
          Rich support for XML in Office XP enables you to load and save XML directly
          into Excel and analyze online data by querying XML spreadsheets from the
          Web. In Access, you can import and export XML schemata, data, and tables
          automatically using default settings, or you can take advantage of advanced
          options that provide more control."

          Office 2000 also exported HTML. I don't know if I would consider it good
          HTML, but if you need to display a file it has nifty features like exporting
          each sheet of the workbook in an HTML interface with links to jump between,
          etc.

          PowerPoint 2000 supported a highbred of HTML, JavaScript, and XML (see
          snippet below). Probably not the kind of XML support people around here
          would like to have. I have not played with OfficeXP yet because of
          Microsoft's licensing schemes and privacy polices.

          Interesting stuff, Wesley. Nice work.

          Michael

          PowerPoint 2000 XML snipet...

          <xml xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">
          <o:File HRef="master06.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06.xml"/>
          <o:File HRef="preview.wmf"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image001.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image002.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master07.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="master07.xml"/>
          <o:File HRef="master07_image003.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master02.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="pres.xml"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0789.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0789_image006.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0765.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image009.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image010.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image011.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image012.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image013.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image014.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image015.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_image016.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797_image017.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797_image018.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797_image019.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797_image020.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0797_image021.png"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0790.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0791.htm"/>
          .
          .
          .
          <o:File HRef="slide0760.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0760_image057.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0760_image058.jpg"/>
          <o:File HRef="slide0796.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="master01.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="master06_stylesheet.css"/>
          <o:File HRef="script.js"/>
          <o:MainFile HRef="../Latest%20Deck.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="error.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="fullscreen.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="notes_flag.gif"/>
          <o:File HRef="buttons.gif"/>
          <o:File HRef="frame.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="outline.htm"/>
          <o:File HRef="filelist.xml"/>
          </xml>

        • wesleytperkins
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2002
            > I guess I can't pursue you to open source and free the XSLT?
            > It would be useful for many.

            Given its provenance in Excel I think that making it open source
            would be pretty dicey. Besides, as the first XSLT and the first SVG
            I ever did it's about as ugly as can be.

            What I think would be more interesting than doing a simple
            translation of Excel to SVG is this: create animated graphic
            depictions of the calculation tree in its entirety (this is what I
            was just beginning to work towards with that tree thing:
            http://www.svgcomposer.com/etc/Default.asp).

            Show a morphological view of the entire chain of calculations,
            animating its sensitivity to input variances, the stability of the
            model under random walks of its inputs, evolving the model via
            morphological changes (John Koza kind of stuff) - construct a whole
            taxonomy of finance. CEOs go wild over this kind of thing, and some
            of it is real.

            Wesley
          • back5576
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17, 2002
              Hi Wesley,

              Do you have any sample sheets you created which you could post. It
              would be interesting to see an example.

              Chris
              --- In svg-developers@y..., "wesleytperkins" <wesley@s...> wrote:
              > Some time ago I had a project to take a fairly complex Excel
              workbook
              > and put equivalent functionality on the Web. Being sufficiently
              lazy
              > I decided to automate the process. I wrote a VBA macro and a C++
              COM
              > object to spit out the contents of the Excel file in XML (the
              latest
              > versions of Excel amy already do this?).
              >
              > I then used XSLT to style that XML in two ways. One, purely for my
              > own curiosity, created a diagram depicting all the calculation
              trees
              > (i.e. the set of final results traced through all subsidiary
              > calculations). This rather cryptic diagram may be seen at:
              >
              > http://www.svgcomposer.com/etc/
              >
              > The other style sheet created an actual workbork in SVG format with
              > 12 sheets and all calculations live, though some of the more
              complex
              > ones were rather slow.
              >
              > I can't show the latter due to the confidential nature of its
              > contents. However, if someone would like to send me an Excel
              > workbook of medium size and without esoteric contents I would be
              > happy to convert it to SVG, providing that I don't receive too
              many.
              > Excel '97 only, please.
              >
              > Wesley T Perkins
              > wesley@s...
            • wesleytperkins
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2002
                --- In svg-developers@y..., "back5576" <back5576@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Wesley,
                >
                > Do you have any sample sheets you created which you could post. It
                > would be interesting to see an example.
                >
                > Chris

                Sorry, all the ones I have are confidential and I'm not enough of an
                Excel person to generate an interesting *.xls on my own. However, my
                offer still holds: