Re: Children's Picture Book in SVG

  • fruc13
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi Jay,

      there is an onload event that can be used for every element and not
      only for the top.

      You should know that ASV Audio element does not support the complete
      SMIL, There are restrictions for the begin elenet, It cant be started
      by a click on an graphical element...
      on SVG-WIKI there is some description of it

      iztok jeras
      www.rattus.info

      --- In svg-developers@y..., "Nick, Jay" <jnick@w...> wrote:
      > I am working on a Children's Picture Book in SVG that uses ASV3
      audio to
      > read the book to you. A JavaScript event routine fires when the
      audio for
      > the page completes. This routine turns the page and loads the new
      audio
      > file.
      >
      > I am having a problem detecting when the audio file is loaded so
      that I can
      > "begin" playing it. It currently works by setting the begin time
      to 1.5
      > seconds, but for slow internet connections, there are problems with
      this
      > approach. It works well offline. I have zipped the files in case
      you want
      > to download it and see how it works.
      >
      > Here is the link where you will find both the SVG and the ZIP files:
      > http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/Demo/SVGBella.html
      >
      > Is there anything I am missing, or is this as good as it gets?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Jay Nick
      >
      > P.S. I have added this link with the other SVG demo links at:
      > http://www.wpsenergy.com/JayNick
    • sorotokin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        Have you tried sticking in externalResourcesRequired="true"
        (I think it should go on the top SVG element)? It should delay
        onload event and animation start until audio is downloaded.

        Peter

        --- In svg-developers@y..., "Nick, Jay" <jnick@w...> wrote:
        > I am working on a Children's Picture Book in SVG that uses ASV3
        audio to
        > read the book to you. A JavaScript event routine fires when the
        audio for
        > the page completes. This routine turns the page and loads the new
        audio
        > file.
        >
        > I am having a problem detecting when the audio file is loaded so
        that I can
        > "begin" playing it. It currently works by setting the begin time
        to 1.5
        > seconds, but for slow internet connections, there are problems with
        this
        > approach. It works well offline. I have zipped the files in case
        you want
        > to download it and see how it works.
        >
        > Here is the link where you will find both the SVG and the ZIP files:
        > http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/Demo/SVGBella.html
        >
        > Is there anything I am missing, or is this as good as it gets?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Jay Nick
        >
        > P.S. I have added this link with the other SVG demo links at:
        > http://www.wpsenergy.com/JayNick
      • Michael Bierman
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          Have you thought about doing this in the RealPlayer instead of the browser?

          Michael

        • Nick, Jay
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
            Thanks Peter. I gave it several attempts, putting it in the audio element, audio namespace, and in the svg element, but no luck.

            I changed the timing to begin at 0s to emphasize the point. Take a look at:
            http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/BellaTheDragon0s.svg

            Did I do it right?

            Jay Nick

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
              Hi Michael,

              Yes, I did try this in SMIL some time ago, but had not tried this with the SVG so I gave it another shot. I'm not real familiar with SMIL, so I maybe doing things incorrectly, but it seems to work, at least with Real One.

              Here is the URL, let me know if it works for you. Anyone with a modem connection want to give it a try?
              http://www.cattocreations.com/RealAudio/Bella.smil

              or, if you have an older version of RealPlayer, try:
              http://www.cattocreations.com/RealAudio/Bella.ram

              A couple of interesting points, Page 8 uses SMIL animation in SVG to color the text "rainbow colored diamonds". I had to change the repeatDur="indefinite" to something finite or RealPlayer would not advance. Once I did that, the SVG SMIL animation worked inside the SMIL presentation. I was impressed.

              Thanks for suggesting it. It pushed me into doing it again.

              Jay Nick

              --- In svg-developers@y..., "Michael Bierman" <mbier@y...> wrote:
              > Have you thought about doing this in the RealPlayer instead of the browser?
              >
              > Michael

            • Tobias Reif
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                Nick, Jay wrote:

                > http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/BellaTheDragon0s.svg

                NN6: With DSL, the sound of the first picture takes a while to load; the
                rest didn't work.
                In IE6, I didn't get any sound.

                Perhaps you could try to preload the files in packs of five frames
                (images and audio files), with some nice progress bar.

                Tobi

                --

                * peace&love.
                * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                  Nick, Jay wrote:

                  > http://www.cattocreations.com/RealAudio/Bella.smil

                  RealPlayer said:

                  File not found

                  file://C:/WINDOWS/Temporary Internet Files/CONTENT.IE5/C6R70BD7/page0.svg
                  [...]
                  file://C:/WINDOWS/Temporary Internet Files/CONTENT.IE5/C6R70BD7/page11.svg
                  [...]

                  Is that a local problem?

                  Tobi

                  --

                  * peace&love.
                  * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Hi Tobi,

                    The web server logs show that all image (.jpg) files referenced in the .svg
                    file get requested on loading the .svg. The audio .mp3 files are loaded as
                    each audio file completes. Since all image files are downloaded initially,
                    that might be why it took so long for the first one.

                    The URL you hit has a zero second delay which shows that the audio starts
                    before the file is loaded. That file (0s appended) was created as a test
                    for Peter's response to my asking for help.

                    I tested with NN6, it works for me. I thought I tested with IE6, but I will
                    double check that. I think the internet is just too slow and the audio
                    files are not loaded in time. As I said, it works well offline. If you
                    download the .zip file, it should work when all the files are local. If the
                    .mp3 files were cached and/or an event when loaded would help a lot.

                    The .zip file is available at
                    http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/Demo/SVGBella.html

                    Thanks for testing it! Your feedback is appreciated.

                    Jay Nick

                    --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:
                    > Nick, Jay wrote:
                    >

                    > > http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/BellaTheDragon0s.svg
                    >

                    > NN6: With DSL, the sound of the first picture takes a while to load; the
                    > rest didn't work.
                    > In IE6, I didn't get any sound.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you could try to preload the files in packs of five frames
                    > (images and audio files), with some nice progress bar.
                    >
                    > Tobi
                    >

                    > --
                    >
                    > * peace&love.
                    > * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                  • Jay Nick
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Tobi,

                      I have no idea what is going on here. Those files are available on the web
                      server. I'm not sure what you mean by local problem. But, it does appear I
                      have a lot of problems!

                      Thanks again for trying it.

                      Jay Nick

                      --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:
                      > Nick, Jay wrote:
                      >

                      > > http://www.cattocreations.com/RealAudio/Bella.smil
                      >

                      > RealPlayer said:
                      >
                      > File not found
                      >
                      > file://C:/WINDOWS/Temporary Internet Files/CONTENT.IE5/C6R70BD7/page0.svg
                      > [...]
                      > file://C:/WINDOWS/Temporary Internet Files/CONTENT.IE5/C6R70BD7/page11.svg
                      > [...]
                      >
                      > Is that a local problem?
                      >

                      > Tobi
                      >

                      > --
                      >
                      > * peace&love.
                      > * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                    • Richard Pearman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6, 2002
                        I've just had a look at this. It's very slow on line and the sound didn't
                        play. I've downloaded the zip file and will see how that works.

                        Isn't there a book of the Apocrapher called "Bell and the Dragon"?

                        Richard Pearman http://www.nucleus.com/~richardp/

                        > I am working on a Children's Picture Book in SVG that uses ASV3 audio to
                        > read the book to you. A JavaScript event routine fires when the audio for
                        > the page completes. This routine turns the page and loads the new audio
                        > file.
                        >
                        > I am having a problem detecting when the audio file is loaded so that I
                        can
                        > "begin" playing it. It currently works by setting the begin time to 1.5
                        > seconds, but for slow internet connections, there are problems with this
                        > approach. It works well offline. I have zipped the files in case you
                        want
                        > to download it and see how it works.
                        >
                        > Here is the link where you will find both the SVG and the ZIP files:
                        > http://www.cattocreations.com/SVG/Demo/SVGBella.html
                      • Chuck Thompson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 6, 2002
                          It worked fine for me. Nice job.