RE: [svg-developers] Animated instances (was: Animation and begin=mouseover in

  • Antoine Quint
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 3:13 AM
      > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it true.
      > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?

      I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
      comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
      www-svg-comments@...

      Antoine
    • fruc13
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 3:19 AM
        Yes it means that you have to create separate animation for all the
        instances.
        But you cant do it at the source object, you should put it where the
        instance is. Antoine's example shows a way how to do it. Another way
        is to multiply the original in javascript, renaming it's id's.

        An example of copying of elements with id renaming is on:
        http://www.rattus.info/stran/predsoba.svgz

        function event_log(text) {
        var event = document.getElementById('event_log');
        var new_event=event.cloneNode(1);
        new_event.removeAttribute('id');
        new_event.getFirstChild().setData(text);
        event.parentNode.appendChild(new_event);
        }

        iztok jeras
        www.rattus.info

        --- In svg-developers@y..., "simonjbradleyuk" <simon.bradley@a...>
        wrote:
        > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want
        > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id.
        But
        > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
        > include all the <use> element ids?
        >
        > Simon.
      • fruc13
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1 4:24 AM
          Hi Antoine

          I have checked the w3c intentions for animated instances. The
          interesting is:
          1.) SVG should investigate alternative approaches to associating
          animation elements with the elements being animated. [SVG 2.0]
          2.) SVG 1.1 should provide a mechanism to support streaming
          animations. A potential solution is to provide a method to start the
          document timeline when the document is loaded. [SVG 1.1]

          So:
          1.) we should wait for SVG 2.0 for animated instances or we should
          offer a method that could be added to SVG 1.1 (id is not extensible
          enought)
          2.) svg 1.1 should provide a method to stream animation but I could
          not find the word stream in the 1.1 animation spec.

          I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
          element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
          and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
          sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
          the animation would load faster.

          iztok jeras
          www.rattus.info

          P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@... so
          that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't). Is
          it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

          --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
          > > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it
          true.
          > > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?
          >
          > I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
          > comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
          > www-svg-comments@w...
          >
          > Antoine
        • Chris Lilley
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1 4:41 AM
            On Friday, March 01, 2002, 1:24:49 PM, fruc13 wrote:

            f> I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
            f> element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
            f> and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
            f> sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
            f> the animation would load faster.

            Yes, we read that.

            f> iztok jeras
            f> www.rattus.info

            f> P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@...

            That is a discussion list, not a comment drop-box. (btw its @...)

            f> so
            f> that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't).

            Comments are addressed - in the next draft, and after the WG as a whole
            has discussed them. Or we say (as we did in the recent last call
            draft) that particular comments are not addressed.

            f> Is
            f> it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

            Yes.

            If you also want to discuss them, then copy the comments here.

            --
            Chris mailto:chris@...
          • Tobias Reif
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2 12:39 AM
              simonjbradleyuk wrote:

              > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want to
              > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id. But
              > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
              > include all the <use> element ids?

              Well, if you want to animate all the instances in the same way, and @
              the same time, you can simply animate the def'd object.

              <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
              <defs>
              <rect id="r1" width="10" height="10"/>
              </defs>
              <animateTransform xlink:href="#r1" attributeName="transform"

              type="rotate" values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
              <use xlink:href="#r1" x="30" y="30"/>
              <use xlink:href="#r1" x="60" y="60"/>
              </svg>

              Tobi