Re: Animation and begin=mouseover in

  • simonjbradleyuk
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want to
      use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id. But
      that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
      include all the <use> element ids?

      Simon.
    • fruc13
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        Very good article and a beautiful animated example.

        About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it true.
        Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?

        IzI

        --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > > I am trying to start a declarative animation on an object that is
        > > defined in a def element, then drawn. It works if the animation
        does
        > > not have a begin attribute however I would like to start the
        > > animation when it receives the mouseover event, so
        begin="mouseover"
        > > should work.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?
        >
        > Try to take a look at an article I wrote that does this kind of
        thing:

        > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html
        >
        > Antoine
      • Antoine Quint
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it true.
          > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?

          I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
          comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
          www-svg-comments@...

          Antoine
        • fruc13
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
            Yes it means that you have to create separate animation for all the
            instances.
            But you cant do it at the source object, you should put it where the
            instance is. Antoine's example shows a way how to do it. Another way
            is to multiply the original in javascript, renaming it's id's.

            An example of copying of elements with id renaming is on:
            http://www.rattus.info/stran/predsoba.svgz

            function event_log(text) {
            var event = document.getElementById('event_log');
            var new_event=event.cloneNode(1);
            new_event.removeAttribute('id');
            new_event.getFirstChild().setData(text);
            event.parentNode.appendChild(new_event);
            }

            iztok jeras
            www.rattus.info

            --- In svg-developers@y..., "simonjbradleyuk" <simon.bradley@a...>
            wrote:
            > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want
            > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id.
            But
            > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
            > include all the <use> element ids?
            >
            > Simon.
          • fruc13
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
              Hi Antoine

              I have checked the w3c intentions for animated instances. The
              interesting is:
              1.) SVG should investigate alternative approaches to associating
              animation elements with the elements being animated. [SVG 2.0]
              2.) SVG 1.1 should provide a mechanism to support streaming
              animations. A potential solution is to provide a method to start the
              document timeline when the document is loaded. [SVG 1.1]

              So:
              1.) we should wait for SVG 2.0 for animated instances or we should
              offer a method that could be added to SVG 1.1 (id is not extensible
              enought)
              2.) svg 1.1 should provide a method to stream animation but I could
              not find the word stream in the 1.1 animation spec.

              I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
              element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
              and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
              sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
              the animation would load faster.

              iztok jeras
              www.rattus.info

              P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@... so
              that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't). Is
              it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

              --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
              > > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it
              true.
              > > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?
              >
              > I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
              > comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
              > www-svg-comments@w...
              >
              > Antoine
            • Chris Lilley
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                On Friday, March 01, 2002, 1:24:49 PM, fruc13 wrote:

                f> I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
                f> element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
                f> and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
                f> sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
                f> the animation would load faster.

                Yes, we read that.

                f> iztok jeras
                f> www.rattus.info

                f> P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@...

                That is a discussion list, not a comment drop-box. (btw its @...)

                f> so
                f> that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't).

                Comments are addressed - in the next draft, and after the WG as a whole
                has discussed them. Or we say (as we did in the recent last call
                draft) that particular comments are not addressed.

                f> Is
                f> it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

                Yes.

                If you also want to discuss them, then copy the comments here.

                --
                Chris mailto:chris@...
              • Tobias Reif
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                  simonjbradleyuk wrote:

                  > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want to
                  > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id. But
                  > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
                  > include all the <use> element ids?

                  Well, if you want to animate all the instances in the same way, and @
                  the same time, you can simply animate the def'd object.

                  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
                  <defs>
                  <rect id="r1" width="10" height="10"/>
                  </defs>
                  <animateTransform xlink:href="#r1" attributeName="transform"

                  type="rotate" values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
                  <use xlink:href="#r1" x="30" y="30"/>
                  <use xlink:href="#r1" x="60" y="60"/>
                  </svg>

                  Tobi