Animation and begin=mouseover in

  • simonjbradleyuk
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002

      I am trying to start a declarative animation on an object that is
      defined in a def element, then drawn. It works if the animation does
      not have a begin attribute however I would like to start the
      animation when it receives the mouseover event, so begin="mouseover"
      should work.

      Any ideas?

      Simon.

      code fragment if you are interested:
      <svg>
      <defs>
      <polygon id="star1" style="fill:black;fill-rule:nonzero;"
      points="0,-14 8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -
      8.229,11.326">
      <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
      values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite"/>
      </polygon>
      <polygon id="star2" style="fill:red;fill-rule:nonzero;"
      points="0,-14 8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -
      8.229,11.326">
      <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
      values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
      </polygon>
      </defs>
      <polygon style="fill:lime;fill-rule:nonzero;" points="0,-14
      8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -8.229,11.326">
      <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
      values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>

      </polygon>
      <use xlink:href="#star1" x="30" y="30"/>
      <use xlink:href="#star2" x="60" y="60"/>

      </svg>
    • Antoine Quint
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002

        > I am trying to start a declarative animation on an object that is
        > defined in a def element, then drawn. It works if the animation does
        > not have a begin attribute however I would like to start the
        > animation when it receives the mouseover event, so begin="mouseover"
        > should work.
        >
        > Any ideas?

        Try to take a look at an article I wrote that does this kind of thing:

        http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html

        Antoine
      • fruc13
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          you should ad an ID to the use element that instances the original
          defined in defs. Than you start the animation using
          begin="element_id.mouseover". You can not use the ID defined for the
          original (it may be resolved in SVG 2.0).

          Example:
          http://www.rattus.info/tests/preload/glavonozec_anim_old.svg

          izto jeras
          www.rattus.info

          --- In svg-developers@y..., "simonjbradleyuk" <simon.bradley@a...>

          > I am trying to start a declarative animation on an object that is
          > defined in a def element, then drawn. It works if the animation
          does
          > not have a begin attribute however I would like to start the
          > animation when it receives the mouseover event, so
          begin="mouseover"
          > should work.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Simon.
          >
          > code fragment if you are interested:
          > <svg>
          > <defs>
          > <polygon id="star1" style="fill:black;fill-rule:nonzero;"
          > points="0,-14 8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -
          > 8.229,11.326">
          > <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
          > values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite"/>
          > </polygon>
          > <polygon id="star2" style="fill:red;fill-rule:nonzero;"
          > points="0,-14 8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -
          > 8.229,11.326">
          > <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
          > values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
          > </polygon>
          > </defs>
          > <polygon style="fill:lime;fill-rule:nonzero;" points="0,-14
          > 8.229,11.326 -13.315,-4.326 13.315,-4.326 -8.229,11.326">
          > <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate"
          > values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
          >
          > </polygon>
          > <use xlink:href="#star1" x="30" y="30"/>
          > <use xlink:href="#star2" x="60" y="60"/>
          >
          > </svg>
        • simonjbradleyuk
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
            Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want to
            use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id. But
            that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
            include all the <use> element ids?

            Simon.
          • fruc13
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
              Very good article and a beautiful animated example.

              About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it true.
              Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?

              IzI

              --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > > I am trying to start a declarative animation on an object that is
              > > defined in a def element, then drawn. It works if the animation
              does
              > > not have a begin attribute however I would like to start the
              > > animation when it receives the mouseover event, so
              begin="mouseover"
              > > should work.
              > >
              > > Any ideas?
              >
              > Try to take a look at an article I wrote that does this kind of
              thing:

              > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html
              >
              > Antoine
            • Antoine Quint
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it true.
                > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?

                I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
                comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
                www-svg-comments@...

                Antoine
              • fruc13
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Yes it means that you have to create separate animation for all the
                  instances.
                  But you cant do it at the source object, you should put it where the
                  instance is. Antoine's example shows a way how to do it. Another way
                  is to multiply the original in javascript, renaming it's id's.

                  An example of copying of elements with id renaming is on:
                  http://www.rattus.info/stran/predsoba.svgz

                  function event_log(text) {
                  var event = document.getElementById('event_log');
                  var new_event=event.cloneNode(1);
                  new_event.removeAttribute('id');
                  new_event.getFirstChild().setData(text);
                  event.parentNode.appendChild(new_event);
                  }

                  iztok jeras

                  wrote:
                  > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want
                  > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id.
                  But
                  > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
                  > include all the <use> element ids?
                  >
                  > Simon.
                • fruc13
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Hi Antoine

                    I have checked the w3c intentions for animated instances. The
                    interesting is:
                    1.) SVG should investigate alternative approaches to associating
                    animation elements with the elements being animated. [SVG 2.0]
                    2.) SVG 1.1 should provide a mechanism to support streaming
                    animations. A potential solution is to provide a method to start the
                    document timeline when the document is loaded. [SVG 1.1]

                    So:
                    1.) we should wait for SVG 2.0 for animated instances or we should
                    offer a method that could be added to SVG 1.1 (id is not extensible
                    enought)
                    2.) svg 1.1 should provide a method to stream animation but I could
                    not find the word stream in the 1.1 animation spec.

                    I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
                    element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
                    and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
                    sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
                    the animation would load faster.

                    iztok jeras
                    www.rattus.info

                    P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@... so
                    that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't). Is
                    it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

                    --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
                    > > About SVG 1.1 supporting separate animation for instances, is it
                    true.
                    > > Is there something like these in SVG 1.1?
                    >
                    > I don't think it is clear at the moment. Feel free to send a formal
                    > comment that will be taken into account by the Working Group at
                    > www-svg-comments@w...
                    >
                    > Antoine
                  • Chris Lilley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                      On Friday, March 01, 2002, 1:24:49 PM, fruc13 wrote:

                      f> I proposed them add an xlink:actuate attribute at least to the image
                      f> element, this would enable an image to begin loading after an event
                      f> and not always at the beginning of the main svg. This would enable
                      f> sequential downloading of animated images, so that the first part of
                      f> the animation would load faster.

                      Yes, we read that.

                      f> iztok jeras
                      f> www.rattus.info

                      f> P.S.: About formal comments, I send comments to www-svg@...

                      That is a discussion list, not a comment drop-box. (btw its @...)

                      f> so
                      f> that I can see their reactions if they answer (they mostly don't).

                      Comments are addressed - in the next draft, and after the WG as a whole
                      has discussed them. Or we say (as we did in the recent last call
                      draft) that particular comments are not addressed.

                      f> Is
                      f> it better to send them to www-svg-comments@...?

                      Yes.

                      If you also want to discuss them, then copy the comments here.

                      --
                      Chris mailto:chris@...
                    • Tobias Reif
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                        simonjbradleyuk wrote:

                        > Works fine, if I want to use the object just once. However I want to
                        > use the <use> element many times, each one having a seperate id. But
                        > that means that the begin attribute for the source object must
                        > include all the <use> element ids?

                        Well, if you want to animate all the instances in the same way, and @
                        the same time, you can simply animate the def'd object.

                        <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
                        <defs>
                        <rect id="r1" width="10" height="10"/>
                        </defs>
                        <animateTransform xlink:href="#r1" attributeName="transform"

                        type="rotate" values="0;360" dur="3s" repeatDur="indefinite" begin="mouseover"/>
                        <use xlink:href="#r1" x="30" y="30"/>
                        <use xlink:href="#r1" x="60" y="60"/>
                        </svg>

                        Tobi