RE: [svg-developers] Re: setTimeout issue in Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0

  • Antoine Quint
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi Honnen,

      > Can't you use
      > setTimeout( function () { yourFunction(arg1, ..., argN); }, msec)
      > ??

      As far as I know, if you are using the setTimeout() function with two
      arguments, the first argument should be a string expression. I would
      need to try this out though with the function as an expression.

      However, I believe we should not have to use a workaround here, and if
      it is a bug kindly ask Adobe to fix it.

      Antoine
    • sorotokin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In svg-developers@y..., "Antoine Quint" <antoine@g...> wrote:
        > Hey,
        >
        > Has anybody tried to use setTimeout with arguments to be passed to
        the
        > called function? Here's how it is defined:
        >
        > setTimeout(function, msec[, arg1[, ..., argN]])
        >
        > I can't seem to get it to work in ASV3, anybody has knowledge about
        > this? Should we file a bug report?
        >
        > Antoine

        Adobe SVG Viewer implementation is documented here:

        http://www.protocol7.com/svg-wiki/default.asp?AdobeSVGViewerWindow

        This particular API is clearly pre-W3C: it takes arbitrary
        number of parameters, which is, IMHO, not a good thing to
        standartize, so I do not think it is worth copying what HTML
        browsers do.

        In the long run, I think it would be a good idea to do this
        through SMIL (but I dont know if SMIL WG has this idea yet,
        someone wants to check on that?). Something like that:

        <smil:timeout id="timeout" dur="3s"
        repeatCount="indefinite" onstart="..."/>

        or

        timeout.addEventListener( "begin", eventHandler, false )

        The same event could then also trigger animations and
        generally do what W3C events do.

        Peter