Re: XML -> SVG

  • alichambersuk
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 3 4:15 AM
      Hi Tobi

      Are there any utilities that could do this? I don't have time to
      program one myself.

      I'd ideally like - for demonstration purposes - to manually alter the
      MASTER.XML file and then show in a browser how the SVG has changed.
      For example,

      <KIDNEY>
      <MASS>Yes</MASS>
      </KIDNEY>

      Shows a mass.svg ontop of the kidney. <MASS>No</MASS> shows a normal
      kidney.

      Alex
    • Tobias Reif
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 3 4:35 AM
        Alex,

        > Are there any utilities that could do this? I don't have time to
        > program one myself.

        I suspect you might need to take the time; it also could be fun.
        The master.xml is written in custom grammar, so the processing software needs to be custom too.

        With a nice XML toolkit, this should be only a few lines.

        Pseuso code (Ruby&REXML style):

        NS_DECL = {'svg'=>'http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'}
        references = XPath.match(master_file, '/*')
        output = Document.new 'svg'
        references.each do |reference|
        referenced_graphic = XPath.first(pics_file, "/svg:g[@id='#{reference.name}']", NS_DECL)
        output.add_element referenced_graphic
        end

        print output

        Tobi

        --
        http://www.pinkjuice.com/
      • alichambersuk
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4 2:12 AM
          Hi Tobias

          How about XSLT, bearing in mind the master.xml is very large and
          there are many diagrams, parts of which are to be overlayed.

          Or would a server side language (VB, JAVA) be best? I've never used
          Ruby - is it platform independent?

          ALex
        • Tobias Reif
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4 2:22 AM
            Alex,

            > How about XSLT, bearing in mind the master.xml is very large and
            > there are many diagrams, parts of which are to be overlayed.

            Should work. But if the files are *very* large, then perhaps some
            streaming technology would help keeping memory usage low; SAX style stuff.

            > Or would a server side language (VB, JAVA) be best?

            XSLT serverside, Java SAX, Ruby, Perl, ... I'd start building a
            small&simple prototype, working but no fancy features. In case of
            problems caused by the technology (language, API, implementation, etc.),
            evaluate a different technology by building another tiny prototype in
            that technology.

            > I've never used
            > Ruby - is it platform independent?

            Yes (like most other comparable languages).
            Here
            http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/RubySVG/
            , I describe simple serverside stuff; all examples run locally on
            Windows, and run unchanged on the remote Apache Linux machine.
            Streaming APIs are available.

            Tobi

            --
            http://www.pinkjuice.com/
          • Richard Pearman
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4 1:25 PM
              Dear Dr Alex,

              I'm not sure what you're envisioning here. You seem to think that you have
              an SVG file which consults an XML file to see what it sould display. This
              may be possible but it isn't how things are normally done. What you
              normally do is have an XSLT file which defines how data from the XML is to
              be displayed (it can output as SVG but doesn't have to). In the XSLT file
              you'll include the SVG code for a heart and a kidney etc.. Then if the XML
              includes <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW> the kidney code is included in
              the SVG.

              Other options which may be easyer, depending on what you're doing and your
              programming experience, is to have an interactive way to make the various
              organs visible or not, or to generate the SVG file with a perl or ASP
              program. I think it's possible to have a program on the server which
              translates XML to SVG using XSLT but I've never done this. For that matter,
              is this supposed to work over the internet or just locally?

              Richard Pearman http://www.nucleus.com/~richardp/

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4 1:54 PM
                Hi Alex,

                Probably the easyest way is to write an XSLT file which will include the SVG
                code for the various bits depending on what's in the XML file. Then you
                change the XML file, use a program like Instant Saxon to generate the SVG
                file. This should only take a few seconds, you may like to write a bat file
                (if you're using some version of DOS or Windows) which you can run
                repeatedly to update the SVG.

                Richard Pearman http://www.nucleus.com/~richardp/

                > Are there any utilities that could do this? I don't have time to
                > program one myself.
                >
                > I'd ideally like - for demonstration purposes - to manually alter the
                > MASTER.XML file and then show in a browser how the SVG has changed.
                > For example,
                >
                > <KIDNEY>
                > <MASS>Yes</MASS>
                > </KIDNEY>
                >
                > Shows a mass.svg ontop of the kidney. <MASS>No</MASS> shows a normal
                > kidney.
                >
                > Alex
              • alichambersuk
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 5 3:07 AM
                  Hi Richard

                  Thanks for your advice. Maybe I need to explain more.

                  I have many predefined SVG shapes that I have drawn in Jasc Webdraw
                  (eg- for the kidney example: the basic outline of a kidney, a scar to
                  put ontop of the kidney, a tumour to put on the kidney, etc...).
                  These are saved in a DIAGRAMS.SVG file and have individual IDs for
                  reference.

                  The master.xml file is created depending on user input. The basic
                  file is:

                  <XML>
                  <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                  </XML>

                  If a scar and tumour have been selected, it then becomes:

                  <XML>
                  <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                  <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney scar</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                  <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney tumour</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                  </XML>

                  My query is which of the following 2 options do I use to present the
                  diagrams in a remote browser?

                  1. XSLT client side with the master.xml to select the relevant shapes
                  from the SVG file.

                  2. Parse the XML file on the server using ASP, PHP (?which is best?)
                  and produce an SVG file only to send to the browser.

                  I don't know which option to use, as XSLT seems to be time consuming
                  to create by hand and I don't know of any applications that could do
                  the job for me. If I was to use option 2, are there any 'easy'
                  solutions, or is it best to custom write the code myself. I'm going
                  to try and sell the diagrams to software companies (a lot use JAVA
                  for web presentation) without getting into too much programming, but
                  need to show them a way how the diagrams will interact with their
                  software.

                  Many thanks,

                  Alex
                • Chris Lilley
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 5 3:34 AM
                    On Saturday, February 02, 2002, 7:18:48 PM, Alex wrote:

                    AC> Dear Newsgroup

                    AC> I am designing a medical application that draws a specific medical
                    AC> diagram according to a master XML file. The diagrams are predefined
                    AC> SVGs. For example,

                    AC> Master XML
                    AC> ----------
                    AC> <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW>

                    AC> SVG file
                    AC> --------
                    AC> <path id="Kidney" etc...>
                    AC> <path id="Heart" etc...>

                    AC> I'd like the browser to show only a kidney. If the master XML file
                    AC> said:

                    AC> <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Heart</ITEM_TO_DRAW>

                    AC> only the Heart SVG to show.

                    AC> Is there any way of doing this with just a master XML file and SVG
                    AC> file.

                    Yes - define each of these organs as a symbol. Use xsl-t to convert
                    your master xml file into a simple svg file that uses these symbols.

                    So
                    <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Heart</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                    becomes
                    <use xlink:href="organs.svg#Heart"/>

                    --
                    Chris mailto:chris@...
                  • Michael Bierman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 5 4:36 AM
                      Perhaps I'm underestimating the problem because I don't understand your
                      goals, but it seems like this could be done by using symbols and/or
                      JavaScript to turn on and off layers. The venerable old
                      http://www.adobe.com/svg/basics/printing.html shows an example. Instead of
                      "Streets" and "Freeways" substitute "Kidney" and "Tumor". I know that this
                      is a much more elementary solution and it may not satisfy your needs but it
                      can be built much more easily too.

                      Michael
[...]

                      -----
                      To unsubscribe send a message to:

                    • Richard Pearman
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 5 1:07 PM
                        Hi Alex,

                        My gut feeling is that XSLT would be easyer than using ASP or PHP but I've
                        never actually done anything like this. Is there a real reason for putting
                        the items to be drawn into an XML database? If you just want to have
                        various things appearing and dissapearing depending on user input, it would
                        be simplest to load an SVG with everything in it and use javascript to
                        change the visibility of display settings depending on what's chosen in an
                        HTML form. Pressumably you'll need a form or something to generate the XML
                        database interactively. There's an SVG which does this with the human
                        genome on my website.

                        Richard Pearman http://www.nucleus.com/~richardp/

                        > Thanks for your advice. Maybe I need to explain more.
                        >
                        > I have many predefined SVG shapes that I have drawn in Jasc Webdraw
                        > (eg- for the kidney example: the basic outline of a kidney, a scar to
                        > put ontop of the kidney, a tumour to put on the kidney, etc...).
                        > These are saved in a DIAGRAMS.SVG file and have individual IDs for
                        > reference.
                        >
                        > The master.xml file is created depending on user input. The basic
                        > file is:
                        >
                        > <XML>
                        > <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                        > </XML>
                        >
                        > If a scar and tumour have been selected, it then becomes:
                        >
                        > <XML>
                        > <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                        > <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney scar</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                        > <ITEM_TO_DRAW>Kidney tumour</ITEM_TO_DRAW>
                        > </XML>
                        >

                        > My query is which of the following 2 options do I use to present the
                        > diagrams in a remote browser?
                        >
                        > 1. XSLT client side with the master.xml to select the relevant shapes
                        > from the SVG file.
                        >
                        > 2. Parse the XML file on the server using ASP, PHP (?which is best?)
                        > and produce an SVG file only to send to the browser.
                        >
                        > I don't know which option to use, as XSLT seems to be time consuming
                        > to create by hand and I don't know of any applications that could do
                        > the job for me. If I was to use option 2, are there any 'easy'
                        > solutions, or is it best to custom write the code myself. I'm going
                        > to try and sell the diagrams to software companies (a lot use JAVA
                        > for web presentation) without getting into too much programming, but
                        > need to show them a way how the diagrams will interact with their
                        > software.
                        >
                        > Many thanks,
                        >
                        > Alex
                      • alichambersuk
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 6 2:42 AM
                          Hi

                          I could use SVG with Javascript, but it would actually become very
                          complex to write (as certain items, for example a kidney tumour, will
                          need a text box to describe other characteristics - is there pain
                          involved, etc..).

                          I am proposing that a JAVA applet will be used that has an
                          interactive SVG functionality (ie. user can click on a body area,
                          annotate as need-be, a master.xml file is created for storage in the
                          patient's record and the SVG is drawn accordingly). It seems a
                          bit 'round the houses', but the creation of a master.xml is important
                          for other reasons, not just for SVG generation.

                          You don't know of a way of creating fill patterns for SVG objects do
                          you. Is there a graphical editor that will do this?

                          Alex
                        • Ronan Oger
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 6 4:51 AM
                            At Wednesday, 06 February 2002, you wrote:

                            >You don't know of a way of creating fill patterns for SVG objects do
                            >you. Is there a graphical editor that will do this?

                            This may be a bit of an overkill, but I wrote a fill-pattern generation
                            script as part of my perl SVG tutorials (tutorial 7) here:
                            I'm still working on it, but you should get the basics of it.
                            http://roasp.com/tutorials/
                          • Tobias Reif
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 6 10:05 AM
                              Ronan Oger wrote:

                              > http://roasp.com/tutorials/

                              => "Not Found
                              The requested URL /tutorials/ was not found on this server."

                              =>
                              http://roasp.com/tutorial/index.html

                              Tobi

                              --

                              * peace&love.
                              * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 6 10:08 AM
                                Ronan Oger wrote:

                                > This may be a bit of an overkill, but I wrote a fill-pattern generation
                                > script as part of my perl SVG tutorials (tutorial 7) here:
                                > I'm still working on it, but you should get the basics of it.
                                > http://roasp.com/tutorials/

                                on
                                http://roasp.com/tutorial/tutorial7.html
                                , the link to
                                http://roasp.com/cgi-bin/new_svg/examples/tutorial7.pl

                                =>

                                "Not Found
                                The requested URL /cgi-bin/new_svg/examples/tutorial7.pl was not found
                                on this server."

                                :|

                                Tobi

                                --

                                * peace&love.
                                * http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 6 12:22 PM
                                  Duh I can't type!

                                  the link is:
                                  http://roasp.com/tutorial/

                                  and the internal link to tutorial 7 is also fixed.

                                  Sorry

                                  ?> This may be a bit of an overkill, but I wrote a fill-pattern generation
                                  ?> script as part of my perl SVG tutorials (tutorial 7) here:
                                  ?> I'm still working on it, but you should get the basics of it.
                                  ?> http://roasp.com/tutorials/
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                  ?on
                                  ?http://roasp.com/tutorial/tutorial7.html
                                  ?, the link to
                                  ?http://roasp.com/cgi-bin/new_svg/examples/tutorial7.pl
                                  ?
                                  ?=>
                                  ?
                                  ?"Not Found
                                  ?The requested URL /cgi-bin/new_svg/examples/tutorial7.pl was not found
                                  ?on this server."
                                  ?
                                  ?:|
                                  ?
                                  ?Tobi
                                  ?
                                  ?--
                                  ?
                                  ?* peace&love.
                                  ?* http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                  ?-----
                                  ?To unsubscribe send a message to:
                                  ?-or-
                                  ?visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit
                                  ?my membership"
                                  ?----
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                  ?
                                • Michael Bierman
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 6 8:40 PM
                                    Alex,

                                    You might want to take a look at http://www.quarbon.com . I think that at
                                    JavaOne last year they demonstrated a prototype of SVG from Adobe
                                    Illustrator presented inside their "Viewlet". I think it is likely that they
                                    will share more details of their plans in the March timeframe. This might
                                    mean SVG content could be incorporated in Viewlets. If you look at their
                                    demo
                                    (http://www.qarbon.com/viewletfiles/home_demo/home_viewlet_viewlet.html)
                                    You'll see it is a pretty rich way of displaying and interacting with,
                                    eLearning content.

                                    Michael

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 7 2:02 AM
                                      Hi Michael

                                      The Java Viewlet looks really good. I'll give it a go. If you come
                                      across any other items, please keep me posted.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Alex
                                    • Michael Bierman
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 7 9:40 AM
                                        Great. Oh, I should have mentioned for everyone else's benefit that they
                                        have a free (fully functional) Viewlet Builder to experiment with.

                                        Best of luck.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 7 1:01 PM
                                          From: "alichambersuk" <alichambersuk@...>

                                          > I could use SVG with Javascript, but it would actually become very
                                          > complex to write (as certain items, for example a kidney tumour, will
                                          > need a text box to describe other characteristics - is there pain
                                          > involved, etc..).

                                          Javascript can read and write to form text boxes.

                                          > I am proposing that a JAVA applet will be used that has an
                                          > interactive SVG functionality (ie. user can click on a body area,
                                          > annotate as need-be, a master.xml file is created for storage in the
                                          > patient's record and the SVG is drawn accordingly). It seems a
                                          > bit 'round the houses', but the creation of a master.xml is important
                                          > for other reasons, not just for SVG generation.

                                          This is a more fundamental problem as javascript can't write files for
                                          security reasons.

                                          > You don't know of a way of creating fill patterns for SVG objects do
                                          > you. Is there a graphical editor that will do this?

                                          You can do it in Corel Draw 9 using the SVG filter. You can probably do it
                                          in Corel Draw 10 but I haven't tryed it. Alternatively you can just draw
                                          your pattern in SVG or a bitmapped format and write the apropriate code to
                                          use it as a pattern in your files. I'm not sure if, strictly speaking, you
                                          can use bitmaps as patterns but you can use them in clippaths which produces
                                          roughly the same result.

                                          Richard Pearman http://www.nucleus.com/~richardp/
                                        • Lance Dyas
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 7 11:49 PM
                                            Richard Pearman wrote:

                                            > > I am proposing that a JAVA applet will be used that has an
                                            > > interactive SVG functionality (ie. user can click on a body area,
                                            > > annotate as need-be, a master.xml file is created for storage in the
                                            > > patient's record and the SVG is drawn accordingly). It seems a
                                            > > bit 'round the houses', but the creation of a master.xml is important
                                            > > for other reasons, not just for SVG generation.
                                            >
                                            > This is a more fundamental problem as javascript can't write files for
                                            > security reasons.

                                            There is a Jscript work around for those who dont mind windows IE only
                                            solutions.

                                            Lance Dyas
                                          • alichambersuk
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 8 4:04 AM
                                              Lance

                                              JScript - can you explain more about this solution.

                                              Alex

                                              --- In svg-developers@y..., Lance Dyas <lancelot@i...> wrote:
                                              > Richard Pearman wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > > I am proposing that a JAVA applet will be used that has an
                                              > > > interactive SVG functionality (ie. user can click on a body
                                              area,
                                              > > > annotate as need-be, a master.xml file is created for storage
                                              in the
                                              > > > patient's record and the SVG is drawn accordingly). It seems a
                                              > > > bit 'round the houses', but the creation of a master.xml is
                                              important
                                              > > > for other reasons, not just for SVG generation.
                                              > >
                                              > > This is a more fundamental problem as javascript can't write
                                              files for
                                              > > security reasons.
                                              > >

                                              > There is a Jscript work around for those who dont mind windows IE
                                              only
                                              > solutions.
                                              >
                                              > Lance Dyas
                                            • Lance Dyas
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 8 5:32 AM
                                                Pretty darn trivial really

                                                data1 is a frame... can be an iframe or regular.with a name/id of data1
                                                svg is a string variable... containing the svg to be saved

                                                top.data1.document.open("text/xml+svg","replace");
                                                top.data1.document.write(svg);
                                                top.data1.document.close();
                                                top.data1.focus();
                                                top.data1.document.execCommand('SaveAs',true,name+'.svg');