Re: Shared svg components - Advanced tree

  • elsassph
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      I'm not sure to understand your objection. Everywhere in the GUI
      (sane) world, GUI objects are supposed to be placed with a convenient
      size, considering obviously that if their contents is too large,
      scrollbars would appear to allow the user to see everything.

      ie "for large trees" ;)

      - Philippe

      --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:
      > elsassph wrote:
      >
      > > Right, it can be resized. I made the frame very small to force the
      > > the scrollbars to appear. Actually the black dot is not part of
      > > the tree (it's just here to play) : the tree is not meant to be
      > > resized often... but to be used ;)
      >

      > In the very small window with the scrollbars, (/without resizing),
      it
      > takes more clicks to navigate the tree, and only a small portion
      can be
      > seen @ once. IMHO, it's more convenient to use when scrolling is
      not
      > required, only for large trees.
      >

      > Tobi
      >

      > --
      > http://www.pinkjuice.com/
    • Tobias Reif
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        > I'm not sure to understand your objection. Everywhere in the GUI
        > (sane) world, GUI objects are supposed to be placed with a convenient
        > size, considering obviously that if their contents is too large,
        > scrollbars would appear to allow the user to see everything.
        >
        > ie "for large trees" ;)

        We agree. It's just that the example starts out being very small, about
        four folders high. That means that any operation requires a lot of
        scrolling, for nearly any size of tree. In the example, there's a lot of
        free space; the size of the tree explorer could be bigger. It's just MHO :)

        Tobi

        --
        http://www.pinkjuice.com/
      • elsassph
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:

          > We agree. It's just that the example starts out being very small,
          about
          > four folders high. That means that any operation requires a lot of
          > scrolling, for nearly any size of tree. In the example, there's a
          lot of
          > free space; the size of the tree explorer could be bigger. It's
          just MHO :)

          > Tobi

          Allright, and now with about 45 "not small" items?

          http://consume.free.fr/svg/samples/tree.svg

          Well i believe i should add pageup/pagedown effect when you don't
          click on the scrollbar tracker.

          - Philippe
        • Tobias Reif
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
            > Allright, and now with about 45 "not small" items?
            >
            > http://consume.free.fr/svg/samples/tree.svg
            >
            > Well i believe i should add pageup/pagedown effect when you don't
            > click on the scrollbar tracker.

            you mean when clicking on the scrollbars's track?
            good idea

            Tobi

            --
            http://www.pinkjuice.com/
          • diblasi_r
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
              Elsassph,

              This is really becoming a interesting project!

              I think it would be nice to document your work ...so others
              can understand how you did it.......yes I know that people can
              look at the code ......but I am talking about an short article like
              Antonio's:
              http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html

              I think it would be a great article....explain the javascript and the
              SVG DOM and the element and attributes.....it would be nice.....step
              by step....to give developer and idea how to go from start and
              finish :-)

              I think pageup / pagedown effect would be nice....

              We all learn by sharing what we know
              Robert A. DiBlasi
              http://www.svgnotebook.com

              --- In svg-developers@y..., "elsassph" <floufi-svg@a...> wrote:
              > --- In svg-developers@y..., Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@p...> wrote:
              > >
              > > We agree. It's just that the example starts out being very small,
              > about
              > > four folders high. That means that any operation requires a lot
              of
              > > scrolling, for nearly any size of tree. In the example, there's a
              > lot of
              > > free space; the size of the tree explorer could be bigger. It's
              > just MHO :)
              > >
              > > Tobi
              >

              > Allright, and now with about 45 "not small" items?
              >
              > http://consume.free.fr/svg/samples/tree.svg
              >
              > Well i believe i should add pageup/pagedown effect when you don't
              > click on the scrollbar tracker.
              >
              > - Philippe
            • elsassph
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                --- In svg-developers@y..., "diblasi_r" <r_diblasi@h...> wrote:
                > Elsassph,
                >
                > This is really becoming a interesting project!
                >
                > I think it would be nice to document your work ...so others
                > can understand how you did it.......yes I know that people can
                > look at the code ......but I am talking about an short article like
                > Antonio's:
                > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html
                >
                > I think it would be a great article....explain the javascript and
                the
                > SVG DOM and the element and attributes.....it would be
                nice.....step
                > by step....to give developer and idea how to go from start and
                > finish :-)
                >
                > I think pageup / pagedown effect would be nice....
                >
                > We all learn by sharing what we know
                > Robert A. DiBlasi
                > http://www.svgnotebook.com

                Thanks.

                No doubt i would love to write something, but, it's already not
                small : tree + tiny xml parser + scrollBox.
                The scrollBox isn't very complicated, but the tree code is another
                problem. Which point would be interesting?

                By the way, pageup/pagedown now works ;)

                - Philippe
              • diblasi_r
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Elsassph,

                  I just down load your code as you wrote this message :-)
                  and as I write I have the tree.js open.....there is a lot
                  there ....but if you take one part at a time......in the end you will
                  have a wonderful explaination of how to construct a File system GUI
                  in SVG that is platform nutrual and resolution indepent.

                  Well.....as you stated the tree is complex......you could start
                  there! (lots to learn there)....but what about starting with the less
                  complex parts first....

                  When I made the suggestion to you.....I was thinking Step by
                  step.....Now that you have constructed this wonderful SVG/javascript
                  code....if you had to teach someone from scratch......how would you
                  go about doing it?.....I think that would be the best......that way
                  you can help others that are just getting into SVG/javascript....I
                  think it is cool!....And I would like to make what you did :-)...and
                  understand it :-)...and then maybe add to it ;-)....once I understand
                  what is going on it the code...just a thought.....

                  I would be willing to help you.....I'm not the greatest at javascript
                  but I learn quickly....and I love to ask questions....

                  We all learn by sharing what we know
                  Robert A. DiBlasi
                  http://www.svgnotebook.com

                  --- In svg-developers@y..., "elsassph" <floufi-svg@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In svg-developers@y..., "diblasi_r" <r_diblasi@h...> wrote:
                  > > Elsassph,
                  > >
                  > > This is really becoming a interesting project!
                  > >
                  > > I think it would be nice to document your work ...so others
                  > > can understand how you did it.......yes I know that people can
                  > > look at the code ......but I am talking about an short article
                  like
                  > > Antonio's:
                  > > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html
                  > >
                  > > I think it would be a great article....explain the javascript and
                  > the
                  > > SVG DOM and the element and attributes.....it would be
                  > nice.....step
                  > > by step....to give developer and idea how to go from start and
                  > > finish :-)
                  > >
                  > > I think pageup / pagedown effect would be nice....
                  > >
                  > > We all learn by sharing what we know
                  > > Robert A. DiBlasi
                  > > http://www.svgnotebook.com
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > No doubt i would love to write something, but, it's already not
                  > small : tree + tiny xml parser + scrollBox.
                  > The scrollBox isn't very complicated, but the tree code is another
                  > problem. Which point would be interesting?
                  >
                  > By the way, pageup/pagedown now works ;)
                  >
                  > - Philippe
                • Max Dunn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                    > I would be willing to help you.....I'm not the greatest at
                    > javascript but I learn quickly....and I love to ask questions....

                    Hi Robert,

                    I think you have a good point, it's useful to start from scratch and go
                    through each step towards figuring out something like this tree.

                    It may be better if the person doing this is not the person who first
                    wrote the code.

                    I just went through one of Michel Hirtzler's examples and wrote an
                    explanation of each step in understanding it - as I was struggling to
                    understand it I started with some very fundamental concepts. (I will
                    let you know when the article is up somewhere).

                    Michel Hirtzler may not have been as good at explaining it, as he is a
                    total expert and probably takes for granted some of the more elemental
                    concepts. It's dangerous to know too much (or be too close to a
                    particular piece of code) sometimes.

                    So perhaps you should start such an article based on this tree?

                    Max
                  • diblasi_r
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                      Max,

                      Understood,......I have already started to work though the code and
                      I make a circle diagram using "Graphviz".....which Tobias and
                      you ...pointed out :-)

                      ......So if Elsassph and others are willing to answer my really basic
                      question I will try to make something that is basic step by step and
                      clear and simple.....I like this project....I think I want to uses it
                      as my site make on http://www.svgnotebook.com

                      I will start and I will let you know what I come up with....right
                      now I am graphing the varibles...... :-)

                      --- In svg-developers@y..., "Max Dunn" <maxdunn@s...> wrote:

                      > > I would be willing to help you.....I'm not the greatest at
                      > > javascript but I learn quickly....and I love to ask questions....
                      >
                      > Hi Robert,
                      >
                      > I think you have a good point, it's useful to start from scratch
                      and go
                      > through each step towards figuring out something like this tree.
                      >
                      > It may be better if the person doing this is not the person who
                      first
                      > wrote the code.
                      >
                      > I just went through one of Michel Hirtzler's examples and wrote an
                      > explanation of each step in understanding it - as I was struggling
                      > understand it I started with some very fundamental concepts. (I
                      will
                      > let you know when the article is up somewhere).
                      >
                      > Michel Hirtzler may not have been as good at explaining it, as he
                      is a
                      > total expert and probably takes for granted some of the more
                      elemental
                      > concepts. It's dangerous to know too much (or be too close to a
                      > particular piece of code) sometimes.
                      >
                      > So perhaps you should start such an article based on this tree?
                      >

                      > Max
                    • Peter Schonefeld
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                        Philippe,

                        Complements to the Chef! :)

                        http://consume.free.fr/svg/samples/tree.svg

                        Peter
                      • elsassph
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2002
                          Thanks for the feedback!

                          Max,

                          It's usually right. And if i would write something about my work i
                          would redo it from scratch (and make it better... i think it's very
                          slow) and describe the pertinent points (generated SVG structue,
                          algorithms and technical hints).

                          Anyway i think that my english is not decent enough to write a
                          pleasant article - i don't like tedious writings ;)

                          Robert,

                          (call me Philippe, please ;) )

                          I would be glad to answer precisely to your questions or maybe
                          describe some algorithms in a synthetic way.

                          Hem... What is the circle diagram?

                          - Philippe