8023Re: [svg-developers] Re: Adobe SVG Viewer with XP IE?

  • jdowdell@macromedia.com
    Nov 1, 2001
      At 1:34 PM 11/1/1, Peter Sorotokin wrote:
      >> An ActiveX Control can often guess which renderer to invoke
      >> from the EMBED tag. I've seen many cases where it fails, however.
      >
      > I have never seen it failing with Adobe SVG Viewer. Let me
      > know if you can find such case.

      Will do. I saw a rash of them when adobe.com first added SWF to the site,
      but now the OBJECT/EMBED is used there instead. My own IE/Win use is mostly
      for testing these days, but will pass along any I see.

      >> OBJECT/EMBED has discrete advantages over EMBED.
      >
      > And has a huge drawback of breaking scripting.

      ? An internal scripting engine should be fine, and VBScript can talk with
      ActiveX Controls. Which scripting is affected...?

      > Besides Microsoft's object tag is not exactly W3C's object tag.
      > Actually, most of the usages I've seen are not W3C compliant!
      > Long term object tag should be better, but I'd steer away from
      > it for now.

      Agreed. I'm not sure if the new OBJECT definition had a migration path
      planned out... seemed like it would conflict with some existing realworld
      pages and viewers...?

      jd