65988Re: external entities

  • Kenneth N
    Dec 1, 2012
      I appreciate the response, Robert. I get why to avoid DTDs, but I wasn't aware that external entities had to be defined in a DTD. The syntax for importing an external entity reference...

      <!ENTITY blue SYSTEM "colors.xml">

      ...suggests a plain-vanilla XML file, not a DTD. Am I wrong about this?

      â€"Ken Nellis

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Longson" <longsonr@...> wrote:

      > This is not going to work, at least not in a browser. See http://hsivonen.iki.fi/no-dtd/ for why it's a bad idea.
      >
      > Best regards
      >
      > Robert.
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Nellis <nellisks@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've tried without success to get external entities to work. For example, let's say I want to define "blue" in a shared file as #00247D and then, in multiple, separate SVG files, reference the shared definition (as "&blue;").
      > >
      > > I get that the SVG document that references the color would pull in the definition with something like the following in its DOCTYPE:
      > >
      > > <!ENTITY blue SYSTEM "colors.xml">
      > >
      > > And "blue" would be defined in file colors.xml, but I haven't been able to figure out how to define "blue" in file colors.xml. Suggestions would be most appreciated!
      > >
      > > Ideally, I wouldn't need separate <!ENTITY�.> references in each SVG for each color, but could simply refer (somehow) to colors.xml and pull in all entity definitions in colors.xml.
      > >
      > > �Ken Nellis

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic

    »
    «