64171Re: SVG and MIDI

  • j.ingram48
    Nov 4, 2010

      As I said before somewhere, I am currently working on an Assistant
      *Composer* project, which needs to *write* SVG files containing MIDI
      information. I'm going to start with the scheme described below,
      though it will probably change as I go along.

      Doing it like this means that clients don't need to look at the
      graphics *at all* in order to play the score.

      I could well imagine that this way of doing things may eventually
      become the basis for an official standard, but such things take
      time, and some proofs of concept...

      Okay, so here's how I'm going to start:

      First, a new namespace:
      xmlns:midi="http://www.james-ingram-act-two/svgMidi.html"

      This namespace is going to contain:
      midi:channel // for use in midi:svgType "Staff" (see below)
      midi:noteNumbers // for use in midi:svgType "Chord" (see below)
      midi:velocity // for use in midi:svgType "Chord" (see below)

      The names of all the MIDI switches, controllers and commands:
      midi:patch
      midi:expression
      midi:volume
      midi:modulationWheel
      midi:breathControl
      midi:celeste
      midi:pan
      etc.

      It will also contain names for sliders - controllers
      which change continuously until their next instance (or some
      default value):
      midi:expressionSlider
      midi:panSlider
      midi:portamentoSlider
      etc.
      Sliders will probably be defined analogously to SVG's multisegment
      lines, containing<startValue>,<endValue> and<msDuration> values.

      The following types need to be defined too:
      midi:svgType="System" // a container for a sequence of "Staff"s
      midi:svgType="Staff"
      midi:svgType="Chord"
      midi:svgType="Rest"

      midi:msPos (int)
      midi:msDuration (int)

      midi:staffName (string) // My client (the Assistant Performer)
      // needs this when setting performance
      // options.

      "System" midi:msPos is the (default) number of milliseconds from
      the beginning of a performance.
      "Chord" and "Rest" midi:msPos are the (default) number of
      milliseconds from the beginning of the "System".
      If defined, the "Chord"'s midi:msDuration defines when its noteOffs
      are sent. By default, the noteOffs are sent at the time of the
      following "Chord" or "Rest".

      Here's an example of how I imagine using these names:

      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
      xmlns:midi="http://www.james-ingram-act-two/svgMidi.html" ...>

      <!-- draw page objects here (title, page numbers etc.) -->

      <!-- there will be a sequence of Systems in the page -->
      <g midi:svgType="System" midi:msPos="0">
      <!-- draw any System specific graphics here -->

      <!-- there will be a sequence of Staffs in the System -->
      <g midi:svgType="Staff" midi:staffName="Flute" midi:channel="0">
      <!-- a sequence of Chords, Rests and other objects -->
      <!-- possibly draw a clef here -->
      <!-- possibly draw a key signature here -->
      <!-- possibly draw a time signature here -->
      <g midi:svgType="chord"
      midi:msPos="0"
      midi:msDuration="3500"
      midi:midiPitches="64 67 83 90"
      midi:velocity="101"
      midi:patch="75"
      midi:expressionSlider="20 110 3500"
      <!-- etc. -->

      <!-- draw the chord symbol (and any grouped objects) -->
      </g> <!-- end of chord -->

      <g midi:svgType="Rest"
      midi:msPos="4000"

      <!-- draw the rest (and any grouped objects) -->
      </g> <!-- end of rest -->

      <!-- etc. more chords, rests, barlines etc. -->

      </g> <!-- end of staff -->
      <!-- more Staffs -->
      </g> <!-- end of system -->
      <!-- more Systems -->
      </svg>

      Does that make sense?

      Is there any way to set up a special interest group for working on
      this subject? Neither this forum, nor www-svg@... seem specialized enough. It would also be nice if I could find some sponsorship of some kind...

      All the best,
      James

      p.s. I have also sent this mail to www-svg@....